Training camp talk. Rumors, pictures, etc.

Gmen

10 minutes ago, Oregon Ducks said:

could see both Carr and Mariota pulling a Tannehill in their second stops (Mariota taking over this year and Carr next year with another team). both have shown promise at one point or another but injuries rocked their confidence a bit and they became overly conservative. Change of scenery seems like the best thing for each to be able to shed the bust label (if you consider Carr a bust, being a 2nd rounder he's pretty much delivered on expectations)

39 minutes ago, ScoDucks823 said:

could see both Carr and Mariota pulling a Tannehill in their second stops (Mariota taking over this year and Carr next year with another team). both have shown promise at one point or another but injuries rocked their confidence a bit and they became overly conservative. Change of scenery seems like the best thing for each to be able to shed the bust label (if you consider Carr a bust, being a 2nd rounder he's pretty much delivered on expectations)

Well yeah, and that's the thing that gets me with Carr and Mariota. Both had incredible seasons in 2016, but injuries devastated them. Especially Mariota. He had that terrible injury to end his year in 2016, and then hurt his throwing arm/elbow/wrist/hand/fingers so many times. Do people realize that he didn't have feeling in his throwing hand at one point and was still starting football games? Like, yeah, he had a terrible TD:INT ratio and was super conservative at that point, but the dude shouldn't have been playing at all. He came back early from injury multiple times and just played like an old man before getting hurt again. It's the same type of mismanagement that we saw with Cam and Luck. That stuff is infinitely frustrating when it happens. Both Carr and Mariota have tons of talent. They have athleticism, accuracy, and can make a wider variety of throws than most NFL QBs (not necessarily more than most STARTING QBs, but more than most in general). Mariota is widely recognized as a great dude, a great worker, a great teammate, and very likeable. Don't know about Carr's intangibles, but when he played aggressive for those two seasons, he was great. Wouldn't surprise me at all if two QBs who had been really productive in the past blew up at some point.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, HoboRocket said:

Well yeah, and that's the thing that gets me with Carr and Mariota. Both had incredible seasons in 2016, but injuries devastated them. Especially Mariota. He had that terrible injury to end his year in 2016, and then hurt his throwing arm/elbow/wrist/hand/fingers so many times. Do people realize that he didn't have feeling in his throwing hand at one point and was still starting football games? Like, yeah, he had a terrible TD:INT ratio and was super conservative at that point, but the dude shouldn't have been playing at all. He came back early from injury multiple times and just played like an old man before getting hurt again. It's the same type of mismanagement that we saw with Cam and Luck. That stuff is infinitely frustrating when it happens. Both Carr and Mariota have tons of talent. They have athleticism, accuracy, and can make a wider variety of throws than most NFL QBs (not necessarily more than most STARTING QBs, but more than most in general). Mariota is widely recognized as a great dude, a great worker, a great teammate, and very likeable. Don't know about Carr's intangibles, but when he played aggressive for those two seasons, he was great. Wouldn't surprise me at all if two QBs who had been really productive in the past blew up at some point.

really well said. it's too bad that you continue to see mismanaged injury situations like this. I understand that coaching windows (and front office) tend to be short, so they are always pushing for immediate results, but it seems like long-term planning has gone out the window in most organizations. Knew Marcus pretty well when I was at UO and he really is an awesome dude - super humble and never acted the BMOC, just wanted to be one of the guys. How he handled last year in Tennessee didn't surprise me at all, and I think it really showcase his character. Hard not to root for a guy like that.

Carr seems to be a bit of a bible thumper at times (which I'm not a fan of, but to each their own) from what I've read, but also seems like a genuinely good teammate too

23 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

$ 20 million in career earnings across 4 NFL teams and he's still looking for a position...

Hes got 24 career TDs and hes a 3 time first team all pro kick returner.

He's 2nd all-time in kick return average and 1 TD away from being tied for 1st all time in kick return TDs... in only 7 seasons.

He's never developed into a stud WR but he definitely has value.

• Like 2

On 8/12/2020 at 11:57 AM, .Buzz said:

Not surprising at all. Josh Allen was the soul of that team at Kentucky. A+ intangibles. Team Captain. Incredibly smart. He has every inch of the "It" factor that people covet. Part of why he was my favorite prospect in the 2019 draft. 

I'm still scratching my head on why the Raiders picked Clelin Ferrell over Josh Allen. Could you imagine Allen/Crosby?

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, HoboRocket said:

Not surprising at all. Josh Allen was the soul of that team at Kentucky. A+ intangibles. Team Captain. Incredibly smart. He has every inch of the "It" factor that people covet. Part of why he was my favorite prospect in the 2019 draft. 

I'm still scratching my head on why the Raiders picked Clelin Ferrell over Josh Allen. Could you imagine Allen/Crosby?

Clellon Ferrell is special in his own right, but the Raiders should have selected Josh Allen for value alone or traded out. They could have gotten Ferrell with one of their other picks most likely if they really coveted him. Whatever, they still did a good job drafting.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, HoboRocket said:

I absolutely loved Josh Allen and would have been very happy with the niners trading down a few spots and then drafting him rather than getting bosa 

You don't see bend with his quickness and length, like ever. Super super rare. I feel like that's a combo that can help you beat any tackle in the world 

Then you add in the A+ work ethic after going through some stuff and then having a child. He was Kentuckys #1 defensive player by far. OCs gameplanned for him and he still dominated. That means something to me

Super durable as well. That was a factor for me as well. Plus trading down has its appeals. 

It's crazy that with as good as bosa is and was last year, I'm sure there is someone out there who would say getting a 3rd plus Allen would have been better than bosa at #2 overall. Bosa was a legit dpoy candidate as a rookie and a legit all pro from day 1 (was injured early but still performed). I don't know if there is a DE out there I would take over 22 year old Nick bosa right now 

The Kinlaw bosa combo is going to terrorize the NFL for a loooong time 

Edited by N4L
  • Like 1