Pettine's Gone, but Outpost is Back

MacReady

Because I'm the kind of failed excuse for a person that will turn to the All-22 to get a read on a journeyman NT that probably gets cut this week, I went back and watch his snaps with the Seahawks this year, and the very first thing I'd like to say is either they have his weight badly wrong or that is a monstrously dense human being, because he does NOT look 350.  I mean I probably would have guessed low 320s off the eye test.  Wild.  

The second good thing to note is he sucks.  Not a chance I even pull Lancaster off the field for this guy unless there's a gun to my head.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MrBobGray said:

Because I'm the kind of failed excuse for a person that will turn to the All-22 to get a read on a journeyman NT that probably gets cut this week, I went back and watch his snaps with the Seahawks this year, and the very first thing I'd like to say is either they have his weight badly wrong or that is a monstrously dense human being, because he does NOT look 350.  I mean I probably would have guessed low 320s off the eye test.  Wild.  

The second good thing to note is he sucks.  Not a chance I even pull Lancaster off the field for this guy unless there's a gun to my head.

Just slow and doesn't even have a good anchor. Just not really an NFL caliber talent to go with an NFL caliber body.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, MrBobGray said:

Who are you talking about here?

So much more could be done with Darnell. So much more could be done with Josh Jackson (he's a far better player than Raven Greene, Vernon Scott, Will Redmond, why do they play over him?)

Our defense needs to play more like our offensive line. Nijman is our DC listed LT. When Bahks is hurt, does he play? No. Jenkins either shifts to tackle, or we pick one of Wagner or Turner to take over there, even though they play the right side. We try and get our best 5 out there.

Savage should be coming down in the box far more, he's explosive, instinctual, can completely eliminate alleys with his speed. He should play more the Amos role. Amos should be playing the Raven Greene sub-backer role, that's the best for his strength. We should've realized that much like Micah Hyde, the greatest assets Josh Jackson has are ball skills and instincts. He's never going to be a great CB. The guy is a safety, and one Id trust in the deep half. He's the one who should have been trained and be back there allowing Amos/Savage more duties around the line to make plays while he gives us the best chance to make plays in the deep half as a former WR with excellent ball tracking and hands for a DB. 

Instead we sub in a lesser player in Greene and play our two safeties in defined roles that don't entirely match their skillsets.

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

So much more could be done with Darnell. So much more could be done with Josh Jackson (he's a far better player than Raven Greene, Vernon Scott, Will Redmond, why do they play over him?)

Our defense needs to play more like our offensive line. Nijman is our DC listed LT. When Bahks is hurt, does he play? No. Jenkins either shifts to tackle, or we pick one of Wagner or Turner to take over there, even though they play the right side. We try and get our best 5 out there.

Savage should be coming down in the box far more, he's explosive, instinctual, can completely eliminate alleys with his speed. He should play more the Amos role. Amos should be playing the Raven Greene sub-backer role, that's the best for his strength. We should've realized that much like Micah Hyde, the greatest assets Josh Jackson has are ball skills and instincts. He's never going to be a great CB. The guy is a safety, and one Id trust in the deep half. He's the one who should have been trained and be back there allowing Amos/Savage more duties around the line to make plays while he gives us the best chance to make plays in the deep half as a former WR with excellent ball tracking and hands for a DB. 

Instead we sub in a lesser player in Greene and play our two safeties in defined roles that don't entirely match their skillsets.

Lets be real it wouldn't be Packers defense of the last 10 years if we didn't try pounding square pegs into round holes. That is literally our defense to a T. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Tough to make your last line of defense a guy with angle and tackling issues..

10 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Tough to make your last line of defense a guy with angle and tackling issues..

I’m still onboard the Jackson for safety train. I think he’ll do much better with the field in front of him instead of having to mirror guys and go stride for stride with patience and awareness not to grab .  

As far as tackling, I think he plays a physical game and can get guys down. I’d guess he doesn’t want to play there and his coaches don’t seem to want it either. I just hope it’s another case of the coaches knowing far more than I do because it seems obvious in my eyes. 

Edited by Refugee

49 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

With R. Greene out (shouldn't have been there to start with), is K. Martin better at his "job" than Redmond at his?  As mentioned previously in other posts, there are a number of square pegs in rounds holes in Pettine's defense.

You think Greene wasnt in the right role or you dont think hes an NFL caliber talent?

8 hours ago, Refugee said:

I’m still onboard the Jackson for safety train. I think he’ll do much better with the field in front of him instead of having to mirror guys and go stride for stride with patience and awareness not to grab .  

As far as tackling, I think he plays a physical game and can get guys down. I’d guess he doesn’t want to play there and his coaches don’t seem to want it either. I just hope it’s another case of the coaches knowing far more than I do because it seems obvious in my eyes. 

Consistently, i definitely disagree.

I feel pretty comfortable saying hes a #2 in a C3 scheme. I dont think its a coincidence when he logged the most snaps we played near exclusive zone and he looked like the best version of himself. I dont doubt hed be in the right spot when the balls in the air if he played free, i just dont trust him to bring the guy down consistently.. Much liker Redmond but at least he's pretty contained close to the line.

Ive got no real problem with Savage and Amos swapping duty so the offense has a harder time with matchups. He was doing this with Kirksey and Greene as well, between TE, RB and zone slot reps. 

Edited by HighCalebR