Week 1 GDT - Arizona Cardinals at San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

I don't think anyone should be backing down on the niners in general. Too much talent to be a bad team, and we are still going to win 10-11 games. I think that's just about a lock. Do I think we are as good as last year? No. I've projected us to regress in teh w/l column all off season if for no other reason than it's hard to win that many games and go to a superbowl. 

LIS, we played bad at home most of last year. This team gave us fits in both matchups last year. We were also prone to some ugly wins last year that just as easily could have been losses. The loss in and of itself isn't something I think we should over react to. 

That being said, even though there's nothing long term I think you take away from the team in its entirety, there are things that I'm certainly grabbing hold of here. Obviously, the main thing is Jimmy. I think he's a fine QB. A solid, NFL starting caliber quarterback. But I think he's QB purgatory. Again, that's not based on a single game, that's based on my perception of his skill and ability throughout last year and then through this game. 

I think he lacks elite physical tools, and quite frankly, I don't think his mental game is top notch on the field. He's got questionable vision, makes poor decisions. The accuracy with which everyone applauds him, I find to be quite hit and miss. There's a reason I have said in multiple game day threads "just don't miss high, Jimmy". He's fine...but I'm kind of out on him being "The Guy". If everything breaks right, as it nearly did last year, I think he can maybe win a super bowl. I find that scenario highly unlikely to happen again, but that's whatever. A conversation for a different time. 

And before anyone chimes in with the defense of the rest of the players, this is purely based on stuff that has nothing to do with the other players. It didn't matter who was the wide receiver on that pass he missed to Bourne. He just flat out missed it. It didn't matter who the receiver was when he made that bad decision on third and five on the final drive, it was just a bad decision to throw the ball up. It didn't matter who the receiver was when he didn't see Mostert wide open in the end zone.  It didn't matter who was blocking on a couple of the sacks because he needed to get rid of the ball. These are things that entirely on him. 

How bad the receivers are, how bad the interior line is, that's a different conversation, though quite frankly I"m not sure that there is much to say. I think everyone expected struggles there. We aren't in a good spot there. I mean there's a reason I took Wirfs in the shadow draft lol

I'm also kind of out on Saleh? Well, I don't want to say out, but like Jimmy, I just kind of think he's an okay coordinator? Not good, not bad. I wasn't overly impressed with him at times last year, and frankly, I'm pretty disappointed in him for game one because I don't know how you go that entire game without spying Kyler at some point, but it is what it is. 

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Forge said:

I don't think anyone should be backing down on the niners in general. Too much talent to be a bad team, and we are still going to win 10-11 games. I think that's just about a lock. Do I think we are as good as last year? No. I've projected us to regress in teh w/l column all off season if for no other reason than it's hard to win that many games and go to a superbowl. 

LIS, we played bad at home most of last year. This team gave us fits in both matchups last year. We were also prone to some ugly wins last year that just as easily could have been losses. The loss in and of itself isn't something I think we should over react to. 

That being said, even though there's nothing long term I think you take away from the team in its entirety, there are things that I'm certainly grabbing hold of here. Obviously, the main thing is Jimmy. I think he's a fine QB. A solid, NFL starting caliber quarterback. I think he's QB purgatory. Again, that's not based on a single game, that's based on my perception of his skill and ability throughout last year and then through this game. 

I think he lacks elite physical tools, and quite frankly, I don't think his mental game is top notch on the field. He's got questionable vision, makes poor decisions. And frankly, the accuracy with which everyone applauds him, I find to be quite hit and miss. He's fine...but I'm kind of out on him being "The Guy". If everything breaks right, as it nearly did last year, I think he can maybe win a super bowl. I find that scenario highly unlikely to happen again, but that's whatever. A conversation for a different time. 

And before anyone chimes in with the defense of the rest of the players, this is purely based on stuff that has nothing to do with the other players. It didn't matter who was the wide receiver on that pass he missed to Bourne. He just flat out missed it. It didn't matter who the receiver was when he made that bad decision on third and five on the final drive, it was just a bad decision to throw the ball up. It didn't matter who the receiver was when he didn't see Mostert wide open in the end zone. These are things that entirely on him. 

How bad the receivers are, how bad the interior line is, that's a different conversation, though quite frankly I"m not sure that there is much to say. I think everyone expected struggles there. We aren't in a good spot there. I mean there's a reason I took Wirfs in the shadow draft lol

I'm also kind of out on Saleh? Well, I don't want to say out, but like Jimmy, I just kind of think he's an okay coordinator? Not good, not bad. I wasn't overly impressed with him at times last year, and frankly, I'm pretty disappointed in him for game one because I don't know how you go that entire game without spying Kyler at some point, but it is what it is. 

And this has been my main issue with Jimmy's game. That's why the sum total of the parts around him matter. Sucks that that's the position we're in but it's the reality of the situation. He can't carry a offense if asked to. Very few QBs in this league can so I won't totally hold that against him. When he came in for those last 5 games in 2017 I think we all thought he had 'it'. But I haven't seen 'it' since if we're being honest. Glimpses every now and then but no sustained level of play that leads me to believe he will someday be great or even really good.

So the parts around him matter. And if you and I can see it then Kyle & John better damn well see it too and react accordingly. That's why I've been adamant about addressing the interior O-Line. It's obvious Jimmy struggles when the parts around him do too. That's why Lynch will need to shoulder the bulk of the blame if this pattern persists.

Edited by 757-NINER
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Forge said:

That being said, even though there's nothing long term I think you take away from the team in its entirety, there are things that I'm certainly grabbing hold of here. Obviously, the main thing is Jimmy. I think he's a fine QB. A solid, NFL starting caliber quarterback. But I think he's QB purgatory. Again, that's not based on a single game, that's based on my perception of his skill and ability throughout last year and then through this game. 

I think he lacks elite physical tools, and quite frankly, I don't think his mental game is top notch on the field. He's got questionable vision, makes poor decisions. The accuracy with which everyone applauds him, I find to be quite hit and miss. There's a reason I have said in multiple game day threads "just don't miss high, Jimmy". He's fine...but I'm kind of out on him being "The Guy". If everything breaks right, as it nearly did last year, I think he can maybe win a super bowl. I find that scenario highly unlikely to happen again, but that's whatever. A conversation for a different time. 

And before anyone chimes in with the defense of the rest of the players, this is purely based on stuff that has nothing to do with the other players. It didn't matter who was the wide receiver on that pass he missed to Bourne. He just flat out missed it. It didn't matter who the receiver was when he made that bad decision on third and five on the final drive, it was just a bad decision to throw the ball up. It didn't matter who the receiver was when he didn't see Mostert wide open in the end zone.  It didn't matter who was blocking on a couple of the sacks because he needed to get rid of the ball. These are things that entirely on him. 

So with that being said we have basically another version of a Matthew Stafford, Kirk Cousins & Matt Ryan at QB. The only one close to winning a SB was Matt Ryan and that's the closest those QB's will ever get.

Also what about Kyle Shannahan's play calling in the clutch? He's shown he can't make proper play calling with a 28-3 lead in the grandest of stages as well as a 20-10 lead last year. 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

How long until we are on the phone with Cleveland about OBJ? 🤣

lol, don't think it is happening, but I wouldn't complain of course. 

It was irritating to go into our game, knowing that we have meh WRs out there, and knew far back that we needed WR help after the SB and losing Sanders. 

Short while back, we couldn't have known Samuel and our first rd WR would be out hurt. Even still, how much did it matter is debatable. Could be that with a guy like Jimmy, adding an OBJ3 could push us over the very top. Could be that we can get there as is. 

I like our chances to go up dramatically if we add him though. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, NFL Network said:

So with that being said we have basically another version of a Matthew Stafford, Kirk Cousins & Matt Ryan at QB. The only one close to winning a SB was Matt Ryan and that's the closest those QB's will ever get.

Also what about Kyle Shannahan's play calling in the clutch? He's shown he can't make proper play calling with a 28-3 lead in the grandest of stages as well as a 20-10 lead last year. 

I'd sell the farm for Matt Stafford at this point. I think he's a far better quarterback...stuck in a miserable situation for largely the entirety of his career. I don't think he's had enough opportunity in "big" moments, and not all the lost "big" moments were his fault (like today where Swift just dropped the ball). But he's talented enough to push this team over the top. Does he have "it"? I dunno. You don't have a lot of options, otherwise. Also depends on who wins Trevor Lawrence. If by some miracle it's Detroit? Yes, I put in a call to trade for Stafford. If its the Jags, do you put in a call on Minshew? I think that's kind of pushing it. Do you sign Nick Foles and let him compete? I don't know what that answer is. I suppose if you're stuck with these types of quarterbacks who are all somewhat "qb purgatory", the answer is to take the cheapest one and try to build the best team around him with more space. Clearly these guys can get to the super bowl; Foles won one, and Denver won one with the corpse of Manning, so they are winnable. 

Shanny's play calls are hit and miss (sometimes). Mainly in a specific setting (red zone, end of half). I think he needs to be more aggressive at some points, but I didn't have any problems with the playcalling in the super bowl at the end. The only one I think where a legitimate argument can be made that he should have done something different was the 2nd and 5 (I think it was 2nd and 5) where he passed it. You can argue that with the way we were running the ball in that game, that 100% should have been a run. But that was the only play call in the 4th quarter I had major issues with. 

1 minute ago, John232 said:

Was coming into post this same exact thing...no idea how it works financially. Maybe you move Alexander..but we need more than Deebo and Aiyuk

Money wise, not an issue *this* season. It puts us in a rough spot moving forward though. We need that roll over moving forward. With our roll over as it is, we are sitting at about 21 million and we have a looooooooooooooot of free agents. 

2 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

The blocked punt and inability of Mostert to punch it in at the goal line were gut punches. 

this is nothing to do about anything, we sucked the turd out the sphenctor.  what did we do?  a 70 yard touchdown from a rb pass?  jimmy cant do anything, the refs love to through the flag against our d for no reason and I am not drunk enough... this was not about the goalline push.