Week 1 GDT - Arizona Cardinals at San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

3 hours ago, burlow said:

this is nothing to do about anything, we sucked the turd out the sphenctor.  what did we do?  a 70 yard touchdown from a rb pass?  jimmy cant do anything, the refs love to through the flag against our d for no reason and I am not drunk enough... this was not about the goalline push.

Bruh you good? 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

1 hour ago, 757-NINER said:

I'm going to enjoy to national media/pundits overreacting to our loss this upcoming week. Should be fun times leading up to next Sunday.

Hmmm yeah, I'm done with live games. The first week cemented it for me. Too much overreaction, myself included. Just not worth waking up at 4:30 for, and definitely not worth 1AM next week. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Knowledge said:

Jimmy couldn't make a play in the Super Bowl to win the game and he couldn't make a play today to win the game.

I'm starting to think he's not the one

We love to focus on the negative. It's always more comforting. Jimmy made plenty of plays last season to help the 49ers win games. Even in crunch time like in New Orleans or against Arizona twice. But we're gonna limit the sample size to the Super Bowl and week 1 of this year? K.

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

We love to focus on the negative. It's always more comforting. Jimmy made plenty of plays last season to help the 49ers win games. Even in crunch time like in New Orleans or against Arizona twice. But we're gonna limit the sample size to the Super Bowl and week 1 of this year? K.

He's fine. There are better quarterbacks who have done the same and haven't been able to do it. Dak hasn't really won games yet. Cousins finally got over the hump last year. Stafford has never done it either

His play in crunch time has actually been more good than bad, imo, so I'd give him credit there. Obviously that may be outweighed by the super bowl, but that's for everyone to decide on their own lol. 

• Like 2

Well, its week one. They were eventually going to beat us as they played us close last year.

I kinda wished Bourne would of attacked that ball throw to him instead of wait. Maybe we get a DPI call there but oh well.

Good thing we get the Jets, Giants and Eagles next. Not too worried about these teams.

Jimmy was so/so of course but I'll wait till we get Deebo and Aiyuk back before I ask when will we cut him...

• Like 2

9 hours ago, John232 said:

Has nothing to do with those two, has everything to do with the fact that Pettis is a none factor, Taylor is pretty much solely a slot and Bourne is just..Bourne. Adding OBJ would be huge. 

edit: That said, I just still wouldn’t do it for a lot of reasons. But we need help. 

I just look at KC back in 2018. They had Mahomes starting his first year. They had TY Hill ffs, had Kelce, Conley too. What did they do? went out right away and spent big on Sammy Watkins. Then went and drafted Hardman at 56 overall. This is with Mahomes. 

It's sickening to see the riches other QBs get to play with. We got Jimmy. I think he still has more upside and is just unusually underdeveloped for his age group. If we are serious of developing him or any new QB, we should think hard about giving him a full stable of pass options. Talk is easy though. Grabbing the right fit at a feasible price is the tougher part. :/ 

• Like 5

I was reluctant to get onto this site yesterday. I was more disappointed than angry about the game. But, the more I thought about the whole thing, the more I'm frustrated with the offensive game plan more so than Jimmy (Jimmy still deserves blame though).

We go into this game with a PS center, without our top two WRs, and it's Jet's, Taylor's, Reed's, and Williams' first game back in a long time. Oh and a limit on Coleman because of health reasons. So, we're kind of limping into this game, but we still have weapons and an elite, creative offense scheme. 

So, what happens next? A bland, disjointed attack that avoids Kittle. I get not wanting to show your full hand, but there was very little creativity to get Kittle in space. I really liked how we utilized our RB's in the passing game, but we only ran like 1 or 2 screens. When the game was on the line, we barely went to Kittle. I get it that the Cards are trying to lock Kittle down so he doesn't win the game for us, but why didn't we target Reed more often? Get creative with Juice? 

It feels like we were willing to punt this win.

• Like 3

We put all our eggs in the Aiyuk basket, and this is what we get. I understand that Shanahan gets praised for his ability to scheme guys open, but it’s clear we need WR help and I’m not sure why we didn’t do more to improve that position in the offseason. 

As far as Jimmy goes, he looked bad, but he wasn’t getting much help either. We knew what we’re getting with Jimmy. He’s a good QB, not an elite one, and he needs support around him to succeed. Once defenses shut down Kittle we’re screwed.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Forge said:

I'd sell the farm for Matt Stafford at this point. I think he's a far better quarterback...stuck in a miserable situation for largely the entirety of his career. I don't think he's had enough opportunity in "big" moments, and not all the lost "big" moments were his fault (like today where Swift just dropped the ball). But he's talented enough to push this team over the top. Does he have "it"? I dunno. You don't have a lot of options, otherwise. Also depends on who wins Trevor Lawrence. If by some miracle it's Detroit? Yes, I put in a call to trade for Stafford. If its the Jags, do you put in a call on Minshew? I think that's kind of pushing it. Do you sign Nick Foles and let him compete? I don't know what that answer is. I suppose if you're stuck with these types of quarterbacks who are all somewhat "qb purgatory", the answer is to take the cheapest one and try to build the best team around him with more space. Clearly these guys can get to the super bowl; Foles won one, and Denver won one with the corpse of Manning, so they are winnable. 

Shanny's play calls are hit and miss (sometimes). Mainly in a specific setting (red zone, end of half). I think he needs to be more aggressive at some points, but I didn't have any problems with the playcalling in the super bowl at the end. The only one I think where a legitimate argument can be made that he should have done something different was the 2nd and 5 (I think it was 2nd and 5) where he passed it. You can argue that with the way we were running the ball in that game, that 100% should have been a run. But that was the only play call in the 4th quarter I had major issues with. 

So lets say the Niners season goes really off the rails and they win Trevor Lawrence wouldn't that lead them to a starting plan at QB?

I know I've seen teams win SB's with subpar QB's e.g. Dilfer, Brad Johnson, Big Ben (2005), Eli Manning, & Peyton Manning (2015) but it seems like the Niners franchise can't win without a Montana & Young type. When I watched as a kid/teenager the Niners were always in SB contention to start the season b/c of their respective QB's. They've attempted to win SB's with Garcia, Smith, Kap & Jimmy and all have failed. The only one who was not that bad was Garcia from 00-02 but the teams around him weren't that great especially the defense.

It's really frustrating when right now they are no closer to winning a SB than they were during the Jim Harbaugh tease years and right now I'd rather be irrelevant and get a QB in the draft as opposed to status quo.

8 minutes ago, SoCalNiner said:

We put all our eggs in the Aiyuk basket, and this is what we get. I understand that Shanahan gets praised for his ability to scheme guys open, but it’s clear we need WR help and I’m not sure why we didn’t do more to improve that position in the offseason. 

As far as Jimmy goes, he looked bad, but he wasn’t getting much help either. We knew what we’re getting with Jimmy. He’s a good QB, not an elite one, and he needs support around him to succeed. Once defenses shut down Kittle we’re screwed.

It's not even about more talent at WR. We have plenty of talent at WR to be a deadly offense. The problem I saw yesterday was a reluctance to dig into our bag of tricks to throw some exotic plays at the Cardinals defense when the game was on the line. I understand that without Deebo and Aiyuk, we're missing a chunk of our creativity with the jet sweeps and receiver runs, but that doesn't mean we couldn't have dialed up more plays to get Reed, Kittle, or Juice 1-on-1 with a LB. I would've loved to have seen getting Taylor in space with a screen or quick-hitter.

The point is, is that missing Deebo shouldn't have broken our offense. We know what this offense is capable of and there was hesitation to show it yesterday and I'm not sure why. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, oldman9er said:

I just look at KC back in 2018. They had Mahomes starting his first year. They had TY Hill ffs, had Kelce, Conley too. What did they do? went out right away and spent big on Sammy Watkins. Then went and drafted Hardman at 56 overall. This is with Mahomes. 

It's sickening to see the riches other QBs get to play with. We got Jimmy. I think he still has more upside and is just unusually underdeveloped for his age group. If we are serious of developing him or any new QB, we should think hard about giving him a full stable of pass options. Talk is easy though. Grabbing the right fit at a feasible price is the tougher part. :/ 

Just to add to this, the coach that would probably be the most compared to Shanny is Andy Reid. For years, the Eagles got by on subpar - average offensive parts and he got them to the playoffs and the superbowl once. They basically scraped the barrel because they knew that his scheme would make them better than they were. Yet he didn't win the super bowl until he had the elite quarterback surrounded by elite weapons and has now constructed an unstoppable offensive juggernaut. We know that Shanny can do the same because we saw him do it in Atlanta. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

It's not even about more talent at WR. We have plenty of talent at WR to be a deadly offense. The problem I saw yesterday was a reluctance to dig into our bag of tricks to throw some exotic plays at the Cardinals defense when the game was on the line. I understand that without Deebo and Aiyuk, we're missing a chunk of our creativity with the jet sweeps and receiver runs, but that doesn't mean we couldn't have dialed up more plays to get Reed, Kittle, or Juice 1-on-1 with a LB. I would've loved to have seen getting Taylor in space with a screen or quick-hitter.

The point is, is that missing Deebo shouldn't have broken our offense. We know what this offense is capable of and there was hesitation to show it yesterday and I'm not sure why. 

I agree with most of your post but we were down 3 receivers by the end as N4L pointed out yesterday. Deebo + Aiyuk, and Kittle obviously wasn't himself by the end of the game. Hope that turns out to be just a strain.

3 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

My big issue is why are we playing Pettis if we are not going to use him in the passing game. They forsure do not trust him idk why we are playing him he had one target. Tbh we should just move him and pull up Kevin White. 

I don't think that we are intentionally avoiding him in the passing game though. I haven't seen snap counts, but I'm assuming that he was on the field quite a bit and saw a lot of routes. I just don't think that he's any good. I'm not sure what the hell happened to the Pettis we saw 2 years ago, but that dude's not here any more I'm pretty sure. At the very least, he's not creating quick separation like he did his first year. 

Other circumstances don't help; the offensive line doesn't give jimmy time, he's not seeing the field all that well, etc.