2020 Jets Season: Misc. Talk

Bianconero

If Jacksonville continues to start Mike Glennon at QB, who in my estimation is their third-best choice based on potential and past history, then we should do the same thing and start James Morgan for the rest of the season. Why not? We have zero wins. Who cares if we bench Sam Darnold at this point. Jacksonville used a minor injury as the excuse to bench Minshew II, and then publicly spoke about arm strength and wanting a stronger arm for their offense. It's a bunch of bunk as far as I'm concerned. Minshew II clearly gives them the best chance to win.

This is going to turn into a mini-war, I'm afraid. If they start their third-stringer, then so should we. I mean, is Morgan going to embarrass the franchise? LOL Put the kid in, see what he has. This is the time for evaluation anyway. We don't know how many (if any) preseason games will be on the schedule next season. Give the kid a look. If he plays well, fine. I doubt he plays well enough for us to win a game, and if he does well then maybe we have something here. More likely, he will be overwhelmed. Perfect.

8 minutes ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

If Jacksonville continues to start Mike Glennon at QB, who in my estimation is their third-best choice based on potential and past history, then we should do the same thing and start James Morgan for the rest of the season. Why not? We have zero wins. Who cares if we bench Sam Darnold at this point. Jacksonville used a minor injury as the excuse to bench Minshew II, and then publicly spoke about arm strength and wanting a stronger arm for their offense. It's a bunch of bunk as far as I'm concerned. Minshew II clearly gives them the best chance to win.

This is going to turn into a mini-war, I'm afraid. If they start their third-stringer, then so should we. I mean, is Morgan going to embarrass the franchise? LOL Put the kid in, see what he has. This is the time for evaluation anyway. We don't know how many (if any) preseason games will be on the schedule next season. Give the kid a look. If he plays well, fine. I doubt he plays well enough for us to win a game, and if he does well then maybe we have something here. More likely, he will be overwhelmed. Perfect.

Issue with this train of thought is that Morgan is a vastly different QB than that fo Glennon. Glennon is a crappy vet QB. So he at least knows what he should do. Its more that he just cant do it. Where a rookie QB who was incredibly raw starting has its issues.

What about progressing the guys on our team on offense? How does Mims get better with Morgan at QB? Becton get better? I can keep going.

We shouldnt be able to win these next 3 games even with Darnold starting. But at least our players around him might progress in these games. Its that Week 17 game that I'm worried about. Ideally JAX wins a game between now and then, where its no worry.

James Morgan was drafted to be a part of JD's stash.  He will not be seen in some action on the field at all.   Runs with scout team only.  If a crappy qb is needed, we can use Mike White.

Jaguars vs Titans at 1pm this Sunday.  Jaguars vs Ravens at 1pm next Sunday.   Jets will face Seahawks at 4pm this Sunday and Rams at ? (since it is away game for Jets it could be 4pm as well).   Easy to track Jaguars' win or loss. lol.

5 hours ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

If Jacksonville continues to start Mike Glennon at QB, who in my estimation is their third-best choice based on potential and past history, then we should do the same thing and start James Morgan for the rest of the season

Both Minishew and Luton are injured. Jax has no choice but to start Glennon.

Edit: I just realized Minishew was able to play but they went with Glennon. My bad.

Edited by xrade

8 hours ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

Third best?

We lost six straight and were largely boat raced in everyone of of those with Minshew against the weakest part of our schedule. Luton was decent in his debut, teams got tape on him, then he was awful.

He honestly may be third best, but the difference between all of them are miniscule at best. Definitely not worthy of acting like it's some huge tank move to play one over the other.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Not going down this rabbit hole again. This talk has surrounded edges we've had along with guys like Leo, Sheldon, etc.

YET THE DON'T ACTUALLY MAKE PLAYS!!!

Huff has 1 sack on the season. No other point is needed to be made.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Dr.O said:

I don’t know what any of these numbers mean or how they’re calculated but this is good

Not really.   This stat is for 2.5 second contest only.   Need to look at Pass Rush Productivity stat because it includes finished actions.

Too bad, both aren't available to public freely.

40 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Not going down this rabbit hole again. This talk has surrounded edges we've had along with guys like Leo, Sheldon, etc.

Pass rush is so much more than just sacks, obviously that's the best outcome but putting pressure on the QB can still result in plays being made. Pressure means the QB having to throw the ball sooner, which maybe results in a pick or an incomplete pass on a crucial down or in the red zone, or a batted pass that can then be picked off. Plays can be made in a variety of different ways just by putting pressure on the QB.

58 minutes ago, mattmanz91 said:

Pass rush is so much more than just sacks, obviously that's the best outcome but putting pressure on the QB can still result in plays being made. Pressure means the QB having to throw the ball sooner, which maybe results in a pick or an incomplete pass on a crucial down or in the red zone, or a batted pass that can then be picked off. Plays can be made in a variety of different ways just by putting pressure on the QB.

That stat isn’t pressure though. It’s a win rate. 2 separate stats if you will.

But I stand by my original point. Results are what’s needed. Not the disruptive almost plays. He’s played 10 games and averages 1.5 tackles a game and has a sack every 10 games. That’s far from being productive. 

The others guys on the list vastly out do him. And quite frankly I don’t want to hear that he’s an UDFA and these other guys are high draft picks. I get that. I didn’t put that stat up there though.

I 100% hope he can be a great edge for us. But the fact is, is that he isn’t right now. And this stat misleads that he is.

13 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Disagree with the overall sentiment: production = sacks. Regardless, I get where you're coming from, but it's all relative. Huff is an UDFA... It's not like this is being used as an excuse for an underachieving player, like you're alluding to (Leo, Sheldon). No one is claiming we found our guy at EDGE, but any sort of production/disruption we get from him should be viewed as a huge win. 

Edited by NJC33