2020 Jets Season: Misc. Talk

Bianconero

7 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

With 90mill and very few players to resign of our own... we can hand out several bog contracts. Its about quality for me this offseason not quantity. I'd rather see us spend big on 3 guys and a couple tier 2 guys than sign 1 big guy and 8-10 OK guys.

I know I’m just kidding cuz we haven’t had a legit pass rusher since I’ve been on this forum! 

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Wait there was Covid that affected 1/2 the league last year cap wise? That's news to me.

Hope you're right. It seems like every year we have in the neighborhood of $90M & every year it's the same mocks being posted that never come close to reality, lol. Hard to forecast the impact of COVID seeing as it's an unprecedented situation. In any event, JD's decision to carry over so much cap space shouldn't be overlooked/underappreciated. In a lost season + with so many teams up against the cap in 21, that looks like a genius play right about now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, doumeyer said:

The last passer rusher we had was Mo, and he only did it a few years. After he got his big contract he was crap

Mo was still "interior" and overall great player.  We haven't had an actual pass rusher since John Abraham. In fact, we have barely tried to replace him.  

Victor Hobson

Bryan Thomas

Vernon Gholston

THE GAWD CALVIN PACE

Quinton Coples/Sheldon Richardson at times

Jordan Jenkins

and then all the backups like IK Enkempali and LoZo Mauldin.

22 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Mo was still "interior" and overall great player.  We haven't had an actual pass rusher since John Abraham. In fact, we have barely tried to replace him.  

Victor Hobson

Bryan Thomas

Vernon Gholston

THE GAWD CALVIN PACE2

Quinton Coples/Sheldon Richardson at times

Jordan Jenkins

and then all the backups like IK Enkempali and LoZo Mauldin.

I'm not sure I'd call:

Thomas/ 22nd overall pick

Vernon Gholston / 6th overall

Quinton Coples/16th overall

Sheldon Richardson/ 13th overall

-Barely trying. 4 first rounders(5 if you include Mo, who played DE and DT) including 6th overall over the course of 20 first round selections.Roughly a quarter of our ist round picks since 2002 have gone to the pass rush position. Its actually tied for the most 1st rounders we've spent on any position. The other position is DT with Dwayne Robertson, Leonard Williams, Shelton Richardson and Quinnen Williams( again 5 if you count Mo Wilk as a DT instead.) After that is CB with Revis, Wilson and Milliner...

Do we need to do more to try and get a rusher, absolutely. We need to get better at finding one and better at building one and better at retaining talented rushers. I'm just not sold on saying the Jets have barely tried when they have used that kind of high end capital on the position.

2 hours ago, NJC33 said:

Hope you're right. It seems like every year we have in the neighborhood of $90M & every year it's the same mocks being posted that never come close to reality, lol. Hard to forecast the impact of COVID seeing as it's an unprecedented situation. In any event, JD's decision to carry over so much cap space shouldn't be overlooked/underappreciated. In a lost season + with so many teams up against the cap in 21, that looks like a genius play right about now.

This. COVID or not, I don’t think he’s just going to change his philosophy and just start throwing money at big name FAs.

I hope he throws a good amount at Thuney/Arob though. I’d like to come away with one of them.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

This. COVID or not, I don’t think he’s just going to change his philosophy and just start throwing money at big name FAs.

I hope he throws a good amount at Thuney/Arob though. I’d like to come away with one of them.

I am not so sure we can define JD’s FA philosophy after just one strange offseason. I agree with a top FA iOL and WR, though.

I get the feeling JD is going to do what sustainable good teams do and build through draft. Then supplement via FA but nothing crazy. Next season may just be his biggest FA splash. 

36 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

I'm so torn on Thuney. On one hand, he seems like a great Interior o-lineman. On the other, he comes from the New England system, one know to make o-lineman look way better than they play when they sign elsewhere. He should be a great addition, but it's just one of those things.

AR15 would be a huge get, though i do wonder who we would get rid of to bring him in. I think Perriman is gonna stick around as the deep guy, and Mims is the young up and comer, plus I'm expecting a WR from to draft in the first three rounds and we still have Crowder. I get that you can never have enough weapons, but I don't think the WR's would be all that happy with that sort of timeshare. I'm guessing AR is going to want to go somewhere that he can get a good number of targets.

• Like 1

I think he values certain positions and has no problem paying them.

I don’t think he values WR too much. But after admitting letting Robby go was a mistake. And all the injuries we had this year at WR. I think he will value WR more now. And will have no problem paying a guy he thinks is worth it.

We know he values OL. So I think he will pay a OG he thinks is worth it (Thuney and a couple others). I think we will have to see how these young CBS play the rest of the way. CB will be a need. But if Hall can show he’s a starter than we have him for a young CB and we hopefully bring back Poole and Maye. Can’t have big talent everywhere in the secondary. Maye and Davis is a good S duo. And a CB group with Hall and Poole isn’t bad. I don’t think we’d have to spend huge on a CB to make this defense legit. Edge is where I’d rather see that spent. And there spake talent there in FA. And I do think JD values edge.

At the end of the day I could see us spending big on a OG, WR and an Edge. And for a team that will have around 95mill in cap space. To shell out 3 big contracts on good players in their prime I think we should all be ok with. That’s only be about 1/2 our cap. For 3 very big difference makers for us. 

And as I said. 1/2 the league can’t even sign guys. So the competition is thin for guys. And even 1/2 of the rest of the league can’t really sign big guys. Bc they don’t have a ton of cap. So you’re looking at around 1/4 of the league as our only competition for guys who deserve big contracts.

Big city, New HC, knowing TLaw might be our new QB. Are all things that can only help us lure these guys in besides money.

16 hours ago, drew39k said:

I'm not sure I'd call:

Thomas/ 22nd overall pick

Vernon Gholston / 6th overall

Quinton Coples/16th overall

Sheldon Richardson/ 13th overall

-Barely trying. 4 first rounders(5 if you include Mo, who played DE and DT) including 6th overall over the course of 20 first round selections.Roughly a quarter of our ist round picks since 2002 have gone to the pass rush position. Its actually tied for the most 1st rounders we've spent on any position. The other position is DT with Dwayne Robertson, Leonard Williams, Shelton Richardson and Quinnen Williams( again 5 if you count Mo Wilk as a DT instead.) After that is CB with Revis, Wilson and Milliner...

Do we need to do more to try and get a rusher, absolutely. We need to get better at finding one and better at building one and better at retaining talented rushers. I'm just not sold on saying the Jets have barely tried when they have used that kind of high end capital on the position.

Thomas was drafted as 4-3 End when Abraham was still here.

Coples and Richardson were drafted for 3-4 DE/interior pressure.

At the time the league was evolving towards edge rushers and fitting in those undersized guys.  The Tampa 2 was doing great with Simeon Rice, Colts had Freeney and Mathis, we weren't running a 4-3 anymore where Ellis was great and guys like Allen, Peppers, Strahan, Jason Taylor dominated.  3-4 defenses had two outside speed rushers and we never tried, except Gholston.  Pittsburgh had Woodley and Harrison, Baltimore Suggs, Boulware, Thomas.  Packers had Clay Matthews.  Everyone running a 3-4 defense had a stud pass rusher while we continued beefing up the interior.

I know I'm the resident Gase apologist but seeing reports that he benched Lewis because the two of them had a verbal altercation and seeing other media and fans running with it when in reality Alex Lewis had some personal issues that were going on just confirms my statements about people having their minds made up about the guy(Gase) and running with it no matter what. 

I personally assumed Lewis was upset about being benched but obviously had no knowledge of the situation. But now that the smoke has cleared I think this can be an example of not jumping the gun and assuming every report is true. 

Hopefully Lewis works on what he needs to. 

Edited by KingOfNewYork

2 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

I know I'm the resident Gase apologist but seeing reports that he benched Lewis because the two of them had a verbal altercation and seeing other media and fans running with it when in reality Alex Lewis had some personal issues that were going on just confirms my statements about people having their minds made up about the guy(Gase) and running with it no matter what. 

I personally assumed Lewis was upset about being benched but obviously had no knowledge of the situation. But now that the smoke has cleared I think this can be an example of not jumping the gun and assuming every report is true. 

Hopefully Lewis works on what he needs to. 

Does anyone know any specifics? 

As for Gase the initial report didn’t surprise me or change my mind about him. Don’t really mind if he falls out with certain players or rubs people the wrong way at times as long as we put a winning product on the field. The fact we are the worst team in football is the reason Adam Gase needs to be fired (after securing #1 pick).

He could be the nicest/worst person in the world. At 0-11 he just isn’t a good coach. 

• Like 1