Tank for Trevor?

rf54

1 hour ago, Cearbhall said:

Taking that sack at the end of the game was brutal. He had to have a plan to get rid of the ball out of bounds if he didn't have a target. That 65 yard FG attempt after the sack was super close. It would have been good from 64. It would have only been a 56 yard FG if Teddy didn't take the sack.

He looked great the rest of the game though. He’s making a lot happen with a pretty modest collection of talent around him.

• Like 2

Remaining schedules listed below for teams currently in top 10. Included the current NFCE division leader as the non-division winners are likely picking in the top 10. Added the SOS at the end.

1. New York Jets (0-7): @ KC, NE, @ LAC, MIA, LV, @ SEA, @ LAR, CLE, @ NE (SOS .592)

2. New York Giants (1-6): TB, @ WAS, PHI, @ CIN, @ SEA, ARI, CLE, @ BAL, DAL (SOS .546)

3. Jacksonville Jaguars (1-6): HOU, @ GB, PIT, CLE, @ MIN, TEN, @ BAL, CHI, @ IND (SOS .559)

4. Atlanta Falcons (1-6): @ CAR, DEN, @ NO, LV, NO, @ LAC, TB, @ KC, @ TB (.563 - C'MON TODD GURLEY!!!!!!)

*5. Houston Texans (1-5): @ JAC, @ CLE, NE, @ DET, IND, @ CHI, @ IND, CIN, TEN (SOS .583)

6. Minnesota Vikings (1-5): @ GB, DET, @ CHI, DAL, CAR, JAC, @ TB, CHI, @ NO, @ DET (SOS .548)

7. Cincinnati Bengals (1-5-1): TEN, @ PIT, @ WAS, NYG, @ MIA, DAL, PIT, @ HOU, BAL (SOS .534)

8. Dallas Cowboys (2-5): @ PHI, PIT, @ MIN, WAS, @ BAL, @ CIN, SF, PHI, @ NYG (SOS .458)

9. Washington (2-5): NYG, @ DET, CIN, @ DAL, @ PIT, @ SF, SEA, CAR, @ PHI (SOS .495)

10. Los Angeles Chargers (2-4): @ DEN, LV, @ MIA, NYJ, @ BUF, NE, ATL, @ LV, DEN, @ KC (SOS .452)

19. Philadelphia Eagles (2-4-1): DAL, @ NYG, @ CLE, SEA, @ GB, NO, @ ARI, @ DAL, WAS (SOS .519)

*Pick belongs to Miami Dolphins

Edited by VikeManDan
Updated SOS after MNF game.

11 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

Does anyone actually want Cousins anymore beyond this year? Or has it become mostly unanimous that he needs to be replaced?

I personally want him on the team the rest of this year and next, draft his replacement this year and let the rookie QB redshirt for a year to get acclimated to the pros and how they work and learn the playbook. 

22 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Remaining schedules listed below for teams currently in top 10. Included the current NFCE division leader as the non-division winners are likely picking in the top 10. Added the SOS at the end.

1. New York Jets (0-7): @ KC, NE, @ LAC, MIA, LV, @ SEA, @ LAR, CLE, @ NE (SOS .588)

2. New York Giants (1-6): TB, @ WAS, PHI, @ CIN, @ SEA, ARI, CLE, @ BAL, DAL (SOS .547)

3. Jacksonville (1-6): HOU, @ GB, PIT, CLE, @ MIN, TEN, @ BAL, CHI, @ IND (SOS .565)

4. Atlanta Falcons (1-6): @ CAR, DEN, @ NO, LV, NO, @ LAC, TB, @ KC, @ TB (.569 - C'MON TODD GURLEY!!!!!!)

*5. Houston Texans (1-5): @ JAC, @ CLE, NE, @ DET, IND, @ CHI, @ IND, CIN, TEN (SOS .589)

6. Minnesota Vikings (1-5): @ GB, DET, @ CHI, DAL, CAR, JAC, @ TB, CHI, @ NO, @ DET (SOS .559)

7. Cincinnati Bengals (1-5-1): TEN, @ PIT, @ WAS, NYG, @ MIA, DAL, PIT, @ HOU, BAL (SOS .534)

8. Dallas Cowboys (2-5): @ PHI, PIT, @ MIN, WAS, @ BAL, @ CIN, SF, PHI, @ NYG (SOS .453)

9. Washington (2-5): NYG, @ DET, CIN, @ DAL, @ PIT, @ SF, SEA, CAR, @ PHI (SOS .491)

10. Los Angeles Chargers (2-4): @ DEN, LV, @ MIA, NYJ, @ BUF, NE, ATL, @ LV, DEN, @ KC (SOS .452)

19. Philadelphia Eagles (2-4-1): DAL, @ NYG, @ CLE, SEA, @ GB, NO, @ ARI, @ DAL, WAS (SOS .514)

*Pick belongs to Miami Dolphins

That JAX game could be a big game but also a lot can change from now till then. 

JAX game meaning the when the Vikings play the Jags. I didn’t specify. 

Edited by mattyice0401

10 minutes ago, mattyice0401 said:

Agreed, the JAX and DAL games could be the only other wins the Vikings see this year.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, mattyice0401 said:

Yep. That game is likely the Justin Fields Bowl I think.

The Jets look like an 0-16 team. They need a miracle to win one game.

38 minutes ago, mattyice0401 said:

I personally want him on the team the rest of this year and next, draft his replacement this year and let the rookie QB redshirt for a year to get acclimated to the pros and how they work and learn the playbook. 

The problem with that is that if Cousins is on the roster for 2021, he’s almost assuredly on the roster for 2022. 

Rip the bandaid off and make sure he’s not on the roster next year. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

The problem with that is that if Cousins is on the roster for 2021, he’s almost assuredly on the roster for 2022. 

Rip the bandaid off and make sure he’s not on the roster next year. 

My preference has always been what @mattyice0401 indicated, but Kirk's contract has made that point moot.  As each week goes by, I'm getting to the point where ripping off the band-aid might be the only option...otherwise, you're going to have a $45M salary guy sitting on the bench.  

• Like 1

I still think you keep Cousins as the starter and let the rookie sit as the #2.

Although with how this team operates the QB position, we'll try to convince ourselves that we need to keep Sean Mannion as the #2 and can't afford to play a rookie when Cousins inevitably tanks next year.

Edited by SteelKing728
  • Like 1

The problem with the idea of having Cousins play for another year while rookie sits and learns is the inherent self-destruction of Cousins, and the natural temperament of the Minnesota fan base. It would only take one not perfect performance from Cousins and the fans would be booing and calling for the rookie to start. Which is just going to create pressure from upstairs to play the rookie, and create a lot of tension in the locker room. 

We’re seeing more and more rookie QBs coming into the league and playing well/making an impact. Like I’ve said, rip the bandaid off, and ride or die with the young guy. 

To me, Plan A is to trade Cousins.

Assuming there are no takers, which is not at all unlikely, I would draft a QB and have Cousins start the year as the starter. Cousins can play until the rookie is ready. Again, trade Cousins at any point that a team is interested. Whenever the rookie is ready to take over, any attempts to trade Cousins would come complete with an offer to pay however much of his salary is needed to get the deal done. The Vikings would be paying all of his salary if nobody takes him. Finding a team that would pay $15M of his 2022 salary would be excellent even though the Vikings would be paying his other $20M in 2022. That is medicine the Vikings are going to have have to take  as part of the treatment needed to deal with their case of having Rick  Spielman as their GM. Wilf has nobody to blame for that but himself.