Tank for Trevor?

rf54

25 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

Going 1-15 or 15-1 -- Beating the premiere franchise in the NFC North is never a bad thing for the Vikings franchise. 

The tank is sadly over folks :(

Our management team cannot swallow their pride. I would've hoped at the least ownership told Zimmer he could safely lose.

It was simple. Ship out Rudolf, Smith, Thielen, Reiff. Aging guys who could get you something and allow you to lose while still competing. Todays game proves we are still in playoff attempt mode. 

My biggest issue is we should have had Lawrence on our radar. I thought the original Cousins contract was EXACTLY that! I thought Spielman knew Cousins could allow us to get a top notch QB and then let Cousins walk next year. Was I ever wrong. :(

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Viking Penguin said:

Our management team cannot swallow their pride. I would've hoped at the least ownership told Zimmer he could safely lose.

It was simple. Ship out Rudolf, Smith, Thielen, Reiff. Aging guys who could get you something and allow you to lose while still competing. Todays game proves we are still in playoff attempt mode. 

My biggest issue is we should have had Lawrence on our radar. I thought the original Cousins contract was EXACTLY that! I thought Spielman knew Cousins could allow us to get a top notch QB and then let Cousins walk next year. Was I ever wrong. :(

We just have too much talent on offense to walk away with the 1st pick in the NFL Draft. As bad as we want to suck we couldn't ever be as poorly ran and pathetic as the Jets are.

Back to the real conversation, Jackson Carman and Jalen Mayfield.  Both young tackles who could be steals in the lower top to mid round of the draft.  Both could be a future star and both could be the starting LT and maybe Cleveland can stick at OG with how he looked today.

Still two massive targets for the Vikings come draft day is those two big boys, the DTs in the class are far less proven than some of the top OTs.  Assuming Sewell and Leatherwood are both gone by the Vikings pick.  Carman and Mayfield would be great value at those spots.  

Reiff is still under contract 2021 but assuming we could get out of the deal if we can get a LT to take his place in the draft who can start right away.  Also looks that possibly the corners in the 2022 draft could be better than the ones in 2021.  Surtain Jr has looked good but has got beat and Wade against PSU got beat more than once, he is more a slot corner though but surprised he has got beat as much as he has early this season.  Samuel Jr is good on FSU in terms of ball skills and will see what Adebo looks like on Stanford when he plays.  

Just now, Ozzy said:

Back to the real conversation, Jackson Carman and Jalen Mayfield.  Both young tackles who could be steals in the lower top to mid round of the draft.  Both could be a future star and both could be the starting LT and maybe Cleveland can stick at OG with how he looked today.

Still two massive targets for the Vikings come draft day is those two big boys, the DTs in the class are far less proven than some of the top OTs.  Assuming Sewell and Leatherwood are both gone by the Vikings pick.  Carman and Mayfield would be great value at those spots.  

Reiff is still under contract 2021 but assuming we could get out of the deal if we can get a LT to take his place in the draft who can start right away.  Also looks that possibly the corners in the 2022 draft could be better than the ones in 2021.  Surtain Jr has looked good but has got beat and Wade against PSU got beat more than once, he is more a slot corner though but surprised he has got beat as much as he has early this season.  Samuel Jr is good on FSU in terms of ball skills and will see what Adebo looks like on Stanford when he plays.  

I’d still want to look at one of the top 3 QBs. Keeping Cousins just isn’t sustainable. Tackle will be a need next year unless they want to put Cleveland there.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Viking Penguin said:

Worst... take....ever

Lets trade away our veteran leaders for bits an bobs in the middle of the season. That will send a great message to the current members of the team and any players we might potentially be after via free agency or even those we’d draft.

The Vikings currently have a great reputation among player agents with how we’ve rewarded our talent, and fairly treated free agents. That gets blown to hell if the team starts a tank job, and then you’ll get players looking for their second contract elsewhere, and top tier free agents avoiding the team  

No owner, no GM, no coach with any self-respect, or hope of building a contender, would ever intentionally tank a season if there’s even the smallest mathematical chance left of making the playoffs  

All that isn’t worth the extra magic beans. This team, as has been said over and over, wasn’t devoid enough of talent to get the number one pick.  The top ten is still very much in play and that’s in striking distance for any of the QBs not named Lawrence via trade or the inevitable fall of one or two of them through the draft process  

———

Rooting for them to lose is one thing; I can understand.  Rooting for them to completely bottom out and destroy the team’s reputation doesn’t make sense at all to me.

26 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I’d still want to look at one of the top 3 QBs. Keeping Cousins just isn’t sustainable. Tackle will be a need next year unless they want to put Cleveland there.

I would love a top 3 QB as well but if Lawrence, Fields and Lance are all gone that is simply stupid to pick another QB higher than they should be when the value at OT is too great to pass up if those two are around.  Both are absolutely top of the line OTs with huge upsides similar to a few guys in this past years draft.  

24 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Worst... take....ever

Lets trade away our veteran leaders for bits an bobs in the middle of the season. That will send a great message to the current members of the team and any players we might potentially be after via free agency or even those we’d draft.

The Vikings currently have a great reputation among player agents with how we’ve rewarded our talent, and fairly treated free agents. That gets blown to hell if the team starts a tank job, and then you’ll get players looking for their second contract elsewhere, and top tier free agents avoiding the team  

No owner, no GM, no coach with any self-respect, or hope of building a contender, would ever intentionally tank a season if there’s even the smallest mathematical chance left of making the playoffs  

All that isn’t worth the extra magic beans. This team, as has been said over and over, wasn’t devoid enough of talent to get the number one pick.  The top ten is still very much in play and that’s in striking distance for any of the QBs not named Lawrence via trade or the inevitable fall of one or two of them through the draft process  

———

Rooting for them to lose is one thing; I can understand.  Rooting for them to completely bottom out and destroy the team’s reputation doesn’t make sense at all to me.

Well thanks for the "worst" label but I'll agree to 100% disagree with you. I listed the leaders and players with value so we can get value back. I want a rebuild around Cook, Jefferson, and Smith Jr.. Keep all the young pieces at offense and defense. But absolutley trade the guys at 30+ who give you a chance to win. You can't be half way on tanking. You need to remove the chance at winning, but allow the remaining players to work hard (players won't tank). Its up to the GM and ownership to remove the players from Zimmer. 

I like some of our young D, so build around that. We have a solid D line when Pierce returns. But I'd blow up the veterans. Hey, it's my opinion, and I've been watching this happen for 40 years now :(

Edited by Viking Penguin
  • Like 2

This win will prove to be important in the strength of schedule tiebreak at the end of the year. An extra win for a team the Vikings play twice would make it harder to compete in that tie situation. Thank god the team did their part to keep their SoS a bit lower.

Remaining schedules listed below for teams currently in top 10. Included the current NFCE division leader as the non-division winners are likely picking in the top 10. Added the SOS at the end. Games in bold are match ups remaining against teams currently picking top 10.

1. New York Jets (0-8): NE, @ LAC, MIA, LV, @ SEA, @ LAR, CLE, @ NE (SOS .593)

2. New York Giants (1-6): TB, @ WAS, PHI, @ CIN, @ SEA, ARI, CLE, @ BAL, DAL (SOS .533)

3. Jacksonville Jaguars (1-6): HOU, @ GB, PIT, CLE, @ MIN, TEN, @ BAL, CHI, @ IND (SOS .543)

*4. Houston Texans (1-5): @ JAX, @ CLE, NE, @ DET, IND, @ CHI, @ IND, CIN, TEN (SOS .565)

5. Dallas Cowboys (2-6):  PIT, @ MIN, WAS, @ BAL, @ CIN, SF, PHI, @ NYG (SOS .475)

6. Atlanta Falcons (2-6): DEN, @ NO, LV, NO, @ LAC, TB, @ KC, @ TB (.556)

7. Washington (2-5): NYG, @ DET, CIN, @ DAL, @ PIT, @ SF, SEA, CAR, @ PHI (SOS .483)

8. Los Angeles Chargers (2-5): LV, @ MIA, NYJ, @ BUF, NE, ATL, @ LV, DEN, @ KC (SOS .492)

9. New England (2-5): @ NYJ, BAL, @ HOU, ARI, @ LAC, @ LAR, @ MIA, BUF, NYJ (SOS .521)

10. Minnesota Vikings (2-5): DET, @ CHI, DAL, CAR, JAX, @ TB, CHI, @ NO, @ DET (SOS .521)

19. Philadelphia Eagles (3-4-1): @ NYG, @ CLE, SEA, @ GB, NO, @ ARI, @ DAL, WAS (SOS .504)

*Pick belongs to Miami Dolphins

Will update again after Monday Night game.