What movie are you watching?

Forge

5 hours ago, buno67 said:

Others have already mentioned it but Bright is a solid movie IMO. Will Smith is Will Smith. The plot/concept is pretty good and it’s different. 

Its worth a watch for sure. One of the better Netflix original movies. Not surprised because this was a big budget movie for them. The success of this should hopefully sway other good actors to make a Netflix movie

Agreed. 

It was going to be too weird for box office and hard to market.

I think more movies will go the direct to netflix route

1 hour ago, jfinley88 said:

Creep 2 is a really fun movie imo. Liked the first one, this one was way better. Solid stuff. 

Good to hear. I'll check it out. I liked Creep. Genuinely creeped me out. A good example of how a movie working with a low budget can still be really effective.

brightnetflixrelease.jpg

I’m not a fan of LotR kind of fantasy whatsoever (I do like GoT but that’s more of a political war series) so I wasn’t sure about the genre mashup going into this. Usually such attempts have a tendency to fail spectacularly (see sci-fi/westerns).  I’m a huge David Ayer fan so I had to check it out and let’s face it... most critics are hacks. 

It’s completely absurd to see it listed by critics as THE worst movie of the year.  If someone can’t get past the genre mashup, I completely get that.  That’s understandable. 

But the craftsmanship of this film is ELITE. The direction, the cinematography, the lighting, the editing, the sound, you name it.  It’s exceptional. The shootouts and chases are fantastic. Ayer’s style just oozes out of every single frame.  The shot down the hallway of Will Smith in his knee talking to his daughter?  Incredible.

So how can the film be the WORST?  If they were to say they hated the concept but it looked great then that is something I can respect.  But just further evidence to never trust a critic and see a film for yourself. 

I guarantee you if you switched the Magic Task Force for the FBI, the elves for the mob, and the wand for a suitcase of diamonds or cash (essentially grounding this film in our reality), this film would be swimming in Awards season love.  Oh well.  Their loss.  I can’t wait to watch it again.  

Edited by thrILL!
Autocorrect
  • Like 2

I was going to make a thread called Horizon's Essentials in which I listed 10-ish movies from every decade / era of movies since the beginning of film based solely on entertainment quality, but then I decided that's too much work.  But here are my silent film era essentials:

A Trip to the Moon (1902)
Nosferatu (1920)
The Phantom Carriage (1921)
The Thief of Bagdad (Pretty much the first creature feature) (1924)
Seven Chances (Only silent era film to ever make me literally LOL) (1925)
The General (1926, Buster Keaton was twice the silent film actor as Chaplin). 

• Like 1

Justice League

I hated it. I wanted to like it, I tried so hard to lie to myself and say I was enjoying it, but I legitimately hated it while watching it, which sucks. It felt like a bunch of random scenes just thrown together, the CGI was awful, not only with Superman's lip but with Steppenwolf as well. Guy looked straight out of a video game. They must have re-shot pretty much all of Superman's scenes, because his face looked CGI/fake in pretty much everything except the moving back into the house scene at the end.

I can't believe I disliked it this much, I thought a lot of people were just overreacting like they usually do, and me not being a hardcore fan, I figured it would be fine. Batman was pretty much rendered useless the entire time, Wonder Woman apparently can't withstand a bullet (having to use her shin and arm guards to block) however she can take punches and headbutts from Superman point blank and crack through cement without a scratch. Just so many obvious flaws in this movie...

The flash - annoying as all hell. The actor was trying WAY too hard to be the goofy/funny sidekick, and 99% of the time it wasn't funny.

Cyborg - why even cast an actor for this part? Extremely boring character (even though he could be interesting with his story) that is all CGI.

Aquaman - I didn't hate this character, but it was just blah to me. He was a walking cliche of rebel son outsider

Wonder woman - I didn't mind her character, but I liked her a lot more in her stand alone film

Batman - has essentially been relegated to the guy whose house everyone meets at and that's about it for how useful he is

Superman - Comes in at the last second, and once again the overpowered boring character, easily disposes of the big bad guy from the film. This is what makes him so damn boring 99% of the time.

• Like 1

On 12/28/2017 at 4:03 PM, HorizontoZenith said:

I was going to make a thread called Horizon's Essentials in which I listed 10-ish movies from every decade / era of movies since the beginning of film based solely on entertainment quality, but then I decided that's too much work.  But here are my silent film era essentials:

Nosferatu (1920)
The Phantom Carriage (1921)
The Thief of Bagdad (Pretty much the first creature feature) (1924)
Seven Chances (Only silent era film to ever make me literally LOL) (1925)
The General (1926, Buster Keaton was twice the silent film actor as Chaplin). 

Nobody is ever going to watch these.

Would rather see your top 5 sam rockwell movies

• Like 1

On 12/28/2017 at 4:03 PM, HorizontoZenith said:

Pretty sure I did a research paper on the maker of this film, he revolutionized special effects on film IIRC. Actually really cool to see how much of an influence he had, guy was a genius.

4 hours ago, Pats#1 said:

They must have re-shot pretty much all of Superman's scenes, because his face looked CGI/fake in pretty much everything except the moving back into the house scene at the end.

As a matter of fact, they did. They CGI'ed out Henry Cavill's beard so he could keep it while shooting MI6 because Paramount wouldn't let him shave it.

Just judging from the stills, it ended up making his face look REALLY bad in some shots: 

Even worse, it reportedly cost the studio an extra $25 mil to edit it out in post-production, further inflating Justice League's already massive budget. So both the actor AND the studio had to suffer for it, goodie.

Edited by KManX89

10 hours ago, Pats#1 said:

Justice League

I hated it. I wanted to like it, I tried so hard to lie to myself and say I was enjoying it, but I legitimately hated it while watching it, which sucks. It felt like a bunch of random scenes just thrown together, the CGI was awful, not only with Superman's lip but with Steppenwolf as well. Guy looked straight out of a video game. They must have re-shot pretty much all of Superman's scenes, because his face looked CGI/fake in pretty much everything except the moving back into the house scene at the end.

I can't believe I disliked it this much, I thought a lot of people were just overreacting like they usually do, and me not being a hardcore fan, I figured it would be fine. Batman was pretty much rendered useless the entire time, Wonder Woman apparently can't withstand a bullet (having to use her shin and arm guards to block) however she can take punches and headbutts from Superman point blank and crack through cement without a scratch. Just so many obvious flaws in this movie...

The flash - annoying as all hell. The actor was trying WAY too hard to be the goofy/funny sidekick, and 99% of the time it wasn't funny.

Cyborg - why even cast an actor for this part? Extremely boring character (even though he could be interesting with his story) that is all CGI.

Aquaman - I didn't hate this character, but it was just blah to me. He was a walking cliche of rebel son outsider

Wonder woman - I didn't mind her character, but I liked her a lot more in her stand alone film

Batman - has essentially been relegated to the guy whose house everyone meets at and that's about it for how useful he is

Superman - Comes in at the last second, and once again the overpowered boring character, easily disposes of the big bad guy from the film. This is what makes him so damn boring 99% of the time.

Even those who disliked the movie have said the characters were a positive in the film. Surprised you feel so differently.