What movie are you watching?

Forge

On 5/19/2023 at 11:23 PM, MacReady said:

The IQ maximum to enjoy a Seth McFarlane film or television series is 87.

After years of swearing Ted was not worth watching and wasn’t going to be remotely funny, I finally decided to stop trusting my instinct and I came to the conclusion that Ted is not worth watching and isn’t remotely funny.

It never ceases to amaze me how someone as unfunny and uncreative as McFarlane can get so many people to laugh at his pubescent humor.

I could agree with that. I have deliberately avoided FG my whole life essentially cause it’s stupid. Made for some “shrug” responses when friends talked about it in school.

I tried watching The Simpsons Movie last night w my kids. I liked it when I was a kid but it just kinda sucks now. Not sure why. Maybe they’ve let the show go way too long. IIRC people were even thinking that before the movie even came out. Maybe it’s that some animated shows have come out since the movie that make Simpsons seem very mid. Or maybe it’s that I am just not as into animated stuff anymore. 

The Simpsons does need to end though. They’ve essentially blocked people from having a nostalgia element with the show since it’s still going and very embarrassing 

The first 3 seasons of "Family Guy" are legitimately hilarious. After that? Oof.

I enjoyed Ted for a total of about 10 minutes.

Ted 2 I don't remember at all.

A Million Ways to Die in the West is awful.

Never given "American Dad" or "The Orville" a chance.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Sad People said:

Watched Sicario today and it really wasn’t that bad. Haven’t heard of it up until today.

not that bad is an understatement...  the border scene and the ending makes it a great movie.  Benicio is just amazing.   

Edited by fluhartz
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, fluhartz said:

not that bad is an understatement...  the border scene and the ending makes it a great movie.  Benicio is just amazing.   

I will admit i was underselling it a bit. Enjoyed it enough that it makes me wanna see the sequel. Agreed he did a good job at keeping his character "mysterious" or "shady". I would probably give it around a 7/10 just like IMDB.

Edited by Sad People
  • Like 1

McFarlane is fine. He's hit or miss like any other comedy based film/tv person out there. If he's not your cup of tea, I understand it but he's where he is because he's good at what he does. I enjoyed the hell out of The Orville and I like McFarlane personally and I'll tell you right now my IQ doesn't stop at 87 nor is it below it. 

Comedy is broad for a reason. Odds are none of us find the same **** funny. I find anything National Lampoon to be tedious to watch and not even funny in the slightest. That's fine. I don't find a lot of standup guys funny either. What works for me doesn't work for you and that's all fine and dandy. 

Edited by beekay414
  • Like 1

Missing had me intrigued all through out.  Like Searching and the Unfriended movies, this one takes place all online, on social media as a teenage girl searches for what happened to her mom.  The twist was obvious though.  7/10

Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 is a love it or hate it movie.  Outside of Bill Mosley and Dennis Hopper in a chainsaw duel, this movie is awful.  I admit, I'm not a big fan of the original but I appreciate it.  That one was terrifying, this one isn't.  This is the equivalent of going from the original Nightmare on Elm St to Freddy's Dead.  1/10

3 hours ago, Forge said:

Broken arrow is such a 90s movie

Love the 90’s in it. It oozes 90’s. Every time I watch Under Siege I follow that up with Under Siege 2 and then Broken Arrow is somewhere in there. Man I miss 90’s action movies.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, MacReady said:

Love the 90’s in it. It oozes 90’s. Every time I watch Under Siege I follow that up with Under Siege 2 and then Broken Arrow is somewhere in there. Man I miss 90’s action movies.

Me too. So many great ones. I like all the ones you mentioned, cheese and all.

4 hours ago, Forge said:

Broken arrow is such a 90s movie

There’s a good scene in The End of the Tour where the author David Foster Wallace, played by Jason Segel, picked Broken Arrow to watch at the movie theater. His friends thought it was stupid, and one of them wondered how the author of such a difficult novel like Infinite Jest could love it so much. Sometimes it’s nice to just turn your brain off and enjoy a fun, mindless movie.

Edited by JohnChimpo
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Fresh Prince said:

Decided to finally watch Fast 9 and I shut it off 20 mins into the movie. I just can’t do it anymore with these films. I’ll stick to the first one, and Tokyo drift

That's where I was with the 6th one. I managed to finish it, but haven't seen any of them since then.  Fast Five was fun though.  In terms of actually telling a story, the first one is still far and away the best one made.