Week #2 General Discussion

RaidersAreOne

9 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

We shall see how the Rams do over the course of the year, but people shouldn't underestimate McVay. (Then again, we benefit from the COVID craziness because we're used to starting the year without a preseason for our starters.)

28 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

He started out 21-11 with a playoff win after 2 seasons.

That makes him a better coach than 50+ other guys like Adam Gase. (who got multiple jobs)

He made a poor decision in OT. He is still a decent NFL coach.

Its a shame he did not spend months teaching his players how to deal with hard counts in empty stadiums or drill his rookie QB on not throwing across the field when a first down run was clear when that rookie got the starting job 25 minutes before game time. /sarcasm/

Agreed. To even have his team in that position was an example of a quality gameplan. Honestly considering all the hate he consistently gets when he only had one down season last year with Interception Rivers and a key injury to Derwin James... I think he’s an underrated coach in the league.

He’s talked about as if he’s a bottom 5 coach in the league. Whereas in reality he’s probably somewhere within that 13-17 level of coaches.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Bearerofnews said:

How did Keenan lose the game? I think that look was just anxiousness about the kick. I think you are over-analyzing. 

Keenan didn't lose the game at all. He was pissed the ChargIRs lost the game and it was evident on his face.

17 minutes ago, Chargers said:

I swear we hold ourselves back more than any team. Herbert shined and had flaws but was clearly more talented. Lynn is playing favorites here.

We do. And it is.

I honestly believe that Lynn has some sort of weird loyalty towards Taylor because of their time at Buffalo, and it was that time together that got Lynn looked at as a H.C. candidate. He did the same thing last year forcing Melvin Gordon back into the starter spot after his hold out, while Ekeler was on fire. 

As far as Anthony Lynn as a coach, teams could do a lot worse. He has had one bad year as the Chargers H.C. My biggest gripe is there seams to be no rhyme or reason regarding when to go for it or not. 4th and 1, don't. 4th and 5 in field goal range, go for it. 4th and goal to likely put the game away, kick a field goal. Two years ago, kick a extra point to tie or go for the win, go for the win.

After the KC/LAC game I was thinking there's no way the Chargers could go back to Tyrod after that performance from Herbert but apparently Anthony Lynn is a bad coach https://247sports.com/Article/Los-Angeles-Chargers-Justin-Herbert-debut-Tyrod-Taylor-will-start-if-healthy-Anthony-Lynn-Oregon-Ducks-Virginia-Tech-Hokies-151757649/

58 minutes ago, Chargers said:

That was a awful loss. This is a game where we badly missed James. I doubt Mahomes would have had as many open runs if James was spying him. Thankfully we got the Panthers coming in next week and by the looks of it we should win.

Ill wait till the official depth chart is released for next game 

1 hour ago, Kael said:

We do. And it is.

I honestly believe that Lynn has some sort of weird loyalty towards Taylor because of their time at Buffalo, and it was that time together that got Lynn looked at as a H.C. candidate. He did the same thing last year forcing Melvin Gordon back into the starter spot after his hold out, while Ekeler was on fire. 

As far as Anthony Lynn as a coach, teams could do a lot worse. He has had one bad year as the Chargers H.C. My biggest gripe is there seams to be no rhyme or reason regarding when to go for it or not. 4th and 1, don't. 4th and 5 in field goal range, go for it. 4th and goal to likely put the game away, kick a field goal. Two years ago, kick a extra point to tie or go for the win, go for the win.

I don’t know if he’s playing favorites so much as thinking that Herbert wasn’t ready. It’s not like he made Sticks the backup and pushed Herbert down to third string. We’ll see.

With regards to the 4th down decisions, they have an analytics guy tell Lynn the probability. His name is Dan Shamash. It’s similar to the setup in Baltimore.

From Daniel Popper:

Last season, Shamash was sitting in the booth on game days, relaying live win probability figures to Lynn on the sideline through the headset. That is effectively the same system the Ravens use, and they are one of the most analytically driven teams in the NFL.

Edited by Xenos