Notable Stats and Observations

Hunter2_1

38 minutes ago, ITS_RAMMY_PLAYBOI said:

I honestly think something was in the air yesterday. KC-NE looked human. 

New England seems to have one of those days offensively in weeks 1-4 every year and Detroit is one of those teams that seemingly can beat/lose to anyone in the league on a given week. Matt Stafford is just basically Jay Cutler who cares (or, as I prefer it, non smoking Jay Cutler).

38 minutes ago, ITS_RAMMY_PLAYBOI said:

Rams and the Ravens booth looked like bottom feeders.. TN looked like a power house. 

The Rams coming off a nice win on the road in Prime Time last week perhaps overlooked Tampa, who has a ton of weapons all over the field. They're like the Anti Titans...weapons everywhere, can't put it together...and the Titans just always seem to pull this whenever they need it. Are they a playoff team? Are they going to win the AFC South running away? Or, are they going to finish somewhere between 7-9 and 10-6 (YES) having beaten about 4 different playoff teams and losing to 3+ teams that have sub 7 win seasons (also YES)?

• Like 1

While Flacco's season  box score looks okay, he is:

1) completing 50.7% of his passes over 5 yards. Good for 30th in the league.

2) attempting passes beyond 5 yards on 45.2% of his throws. Good for 32nd in the league.

3)  completing 45.8% of his red zone passes. Good for 31st in the league.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ahhlucas said:

While Flacco's season  box score looks okay, he is:

1) completing 50.7% of his passes over 5 yards. Good for 30th in the league.

2) attempting passes beyond 5 yards on 45.2% of his throws. Good for 32nd in the league.

3)  completing 45.8% of his red zone passes. Good for 31st in the league.

You have to keep in mind we've had several back-up QBs play this year though so the total QBs is probably more like 39.

4 hours ago, DannyB said:

Observation(s) that I can't really quantify, and may not be true, but seem to be true. And this may be very "Get Off My Lawn"-ish:

Compared to predecessors, young, modern QBs have low pocket awareness, no idea how to protect themselves from injury, maneuver in the pocket, scramble smartly, or take a hit.

They also are much less adept at intuitively reading a defense both pre and post snap, outside of what their coaches have explicitly programmed into their brains. They don't have as much "feel", or instinct for defenses as prior generations.

Am I off base? I might be.

I don't think it's any worse than usual, I think the biggest difference is just that there are more athletic QBs in the league than their used to be. You go back a decade or two, and most of your QBs were pretty immobile, so if they lacked pocket awareness it really just mean they were getting sacked or throwing while they got hit. Now it's a little more obvious, because when you have a guy like, say, Baker Mayfield struggling with pocket awareness and an understanding of where he and defenders are, he isn't just standing there too long and getting hit, he's scrambling into pressure.

So I don't think the pocket presence of young QBs has gotten worse, I think the negative result of poor pocket presence is just more obvious with athletic, scrambling QBs, and there are more of those in the NFL now than there used to be.

I'd actually argue the ability to read defenses has probably gotten better, though. INT rates have plummeted. Completion percentage skyrocketed. So either accuracy has improved, decision making has improved, or defenses have faltered.

1 hour ago, Dome said:

Saints haven’t allowed a 100 yard rusher in 26 games, currently the best streak in the NFL

lmzopujurrp31.png?auto=webp&s=1d42eca970

This must not take playoffs into consideration - Marlon Mack had 100+ in the playoff game last year.

14 minutes ago, ET80 said:

This must not take playoffs into consideration - Marlon Mack had 100+ in the playoff game last year.

They don't count playoffs. That why Lamar Jackson was the first QB to ever throw for 250+ and rush for 120+... after Kaep did it to Green Bay in the playoffs.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, animaltested said:

In the era of nickel and dime packages, Seattle is truly turning back the clock.

Yesterday, against the Cardinals, LB's Wagner, Wright, Kendricks saw 100, 87, 84 % of snaps on defense. This has been the case through the first four weeks (3 LB sets essentially 85% of the game). 

Rams going to abandon the run game after 1 drive.

1 hour ago, animaltested said:

In the era of nickel and dime packages, Seattle is truly turning back the clock.

Yesterday, against the Cardinals, LB's Wagner, Wright, Kendricks saw 100, 87, 84 % of snaps on defense. This has been the case through the first four weeks (3 LB sets essentially 85% of the game). 

Seattle has run 3 LB's on something like 90%+ of snaps this year. It's insane how much versatility they have and how they're not being exposed by teams that constantly run 3 WR sets