So it begins, do the Bears draft a 1st round QB in 2021?

dafreak

Just now, WindyCity said:

If you do not trust them then they need to be fired.

If McCaskey keeps them that means he trusts them.

McCaskey usually doesn't like paying coaches to be sitting at home, and I'm sure the limiting for their income is going to play a factor. This year and next year will be unlike normal years imo.

For the record I don't trust him. Pace has never drafted a good QB and Nagy hasnt elevated one without Reid holding his hand. I would have told them at the end of 2019's season them their offensive will be indicative of their job security this season. If they cant field average there then they are limiting this team. That's exactly the case. Pace made a strong defense and crap offense, per usual in Chicago. 

6 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

McCaskey usually doesn't like paying coaches to be sitting at home, and I'm sure the limiting for their income is going to play a factor. This year and next year will be unlike normal years imo.

For the record I don't trust him. Pace has never drafted a good QB and Nagy hasnt elevated one without Reid holding his hand. I would have told them at the end of 2019's season them their offensive will be indicative of their job security this season. If they cant field average there then they are limiting this team. That's exactly the case. Pace made a strong defense and crap offense, per usual in Chicago. 

To be fair he's only drafted 1 QB but yes it was a major miss.  Glennon was also a big FA miss.

If they're going to keep both around for 2021 which is highly likely, then I guess Nagy should get a shot at drafting and developing his own choice at QB.  But don;t be mistaken, any QB they draft next year isn't just going to suddenly come in and light it up with that porous OL they are currently fielding.  They need major investments in the OL before they get any QB who will acutually make a difference.

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

To be fair he's only drafted 1 QB but yes it was a major miss.  Glennon was also a big FA miss.

If they're going to keep both around for 2021 which is highly likely, then I guess Nagy should get a shot at drafting and developing his own choice at QB.  But don;t be mistaken, any QB they draft next year isn't just going to suddenly come in and light it up with that porous OL they are currently fielding.  They need major investments in the OL before they get any QB who will acutually make a difference.

They do need to invest in the OL. Let’s hope Pace is not a total idiot like he was after 2019.

14 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

They do need to invest in the OL. Let’s hope Pace is not a total idiot like he was after 2019.

It's gotten to the point where I even question whether Pace feels the OL is a priority. It seems like he's more than happy to take a "duct tape and bubble gum" approach to the entire position group. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

It's gotten to the point where I even question whether Pace feels the OL is a priority. It seems like he's more than happy to take a "duct tape and bubble gum" approach to the entire position group. 

We just waste opportunity with this group.

How could someone watch 2019 Massie and Leno and feel they were good at that position? defys logic.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

No owner does, and McCaskey has done it a few times as of late. It's certainly possible he does it again if he feels it's necessary.

5 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Why, he had to draft Kmet, of course! Sure fire OROY, brother! 

Kmet might not be OROY but he is going to be good you just watch.

I agree though that OL has been ignored far too much and needs to be made a priority next offseason.

Name one GM who misses on drafting a QB in the top 3 and get another chance at it?  I can’t think of a single one. 

Name one GM that gets to hire two head coaches?  I can’t. 

Pace is on the wrong side of two NFL norms.  You fail at the coaching hire. You’re out.  You fail at picking the right QB in the top 3 you’re out Pace would have been fired by 31 other organizations.  Not the bears. Not the McCaskey

1 minute ago, 41st ward Chicagoian said:

Name one GM who misses on drafting a QB in the top 3 and get another chance at it?  I can’t think of a single one. 

Name one GM that gets to hire two head coaches?  I can’t. 

Pace is on the wrong side of two NFL norms.  You fail at the coaching hire. You’re out.  You fail at picking the right QB in the top 3 you’re out Pace would have been fired by 31 other organizations.  Not the bears. Not the McCaskey

Do you think Pace is a bad GM?

He took over the worst defense in Chicago Bears history and in 3 years made them 9th in points allowed. By year 4 they were #1 in points allowed.

He missed on Trubisky, true, but his hand-picked head coach has a 25-13 record which is one of the best records over 38 games in this franchise's history.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, G08 said:

Do you think Pace is a bad GM?

He took over the worst defense in Chicago Bears history and in 3 years made them 9th in points allowed. By year 4 they were #1 in points allowed.

He missed on Trubisky, true, but his hand-picked head coach has a 25-13 record which is one of the best records over 38 games in this franchise's history.

This is what what Pace detractors seem to be missing about Pace. Pace has made mistakes, absolutely. But he has also kept this team competitive.  

You can say that last year we looked closer to a 5 win team than an 8 win team, and you can say that we look closer to 3 win team than a 5 win this year. But what you can't say, with a straight face, is that Nagy is a bad HC and that this team is NOT competitive. And all in all, that's what Pace's job comprises of.

9 hours ago, topwop1 said:

True, that was poorly worded on my part. I meant to point out that he chose a complete bust over an All Pro and a QB that has over a 100 QBR for Tru. He also gave $6 mil to Daniel and neglected to draft another QB to groom. Those were all failures at the position.

You're absolutely right. The OL needs purged and with the cap restrictions from the cap being $175 mil we might actually need to cut Leno and Massie. While not exactly a big loss it sucks to go into a year needing two starting tackles, hoping your LG heals and is ready to play, and hoping your RG re-signs for a decent price. We have Whitehair and reserves to count on for 2021 so far. Pace had the chance to grab an OT with a few of the picks and decided not too, which hopefully he was right, but I don't think there will be BPA philosophy available. It will likely be a best OL available for 2 of our first 3 picks.  I'm fine with not drafting a QB high but dammit we need to develop a guy to at least be a solid system back up. If you're lucky you can get a crazy value, if not you may at least save a chunk of cash and know what you have backing up your starter.

32 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

This is what what Pace detractors seem to be missing about Pace. Pace has made mistakes, absolutely. But he has also kept this team competitive.  

You can say that last year we looked closer to a 5 win team than an 8 win team, and you can say that we look closer to 3 win team than a 5 win this year. But what you can't say, with a straight face, is that Nagy is a bad HC and that this team is NOT competitive. And all in all, that's what Pace's job comprises of.

He has been able to keep them competitive, but we still are doing the same things as years before. If we can beat GB this year I'll be more content, but at the moment Pace/Nagy are 1 for 4 against GB and offense is still inept with Pace's handpicked HC. He can't use Fox as the reason for the offense's failings (not saying he did, just that it is his and Nagy's combined failure).

Nagy is absolutely a talented HC, but he is not a good playcaller and cannot run an offense. If he is not willing to give the team a shot with someone else calling the plays then he is expendable. Pagano and his defense are why the team is competitive, not Nagy. If the reigns were handed to him to be the HC and focus on the defense I am not sure the results are much different. Same with Fangio, either way the defense is stellar and at worse the offense remains trash. I have to disagree that being competitive is enough. Beating up on bad teams and getting handed loss after loss by GB was enough for most of Lovie's tenure, but that isn't good enough. He did a great job of getting the defense fixed but the offense is still terrible, he has failed on that side of the ball worse than Angelo did.

In reality we are in an arguably bad position. We are good enough to get to the postseason and then get walked out immediately like in 2018 or just barely miss like 2019. That sucks. It means we aren't legitimate contenders and we are missing out on guys that could be franchise faces. Pace had a chance to get that top QB and either Mahomes or Watson would have been good enough to put points up vs PHI to move on in the playoffs, and both are competent enough that we would have put up more than 17PPG last year, so postseason is almost guaranteed. Honestly, Nagy putting up 17 PPG is WAY more disappointing than Loggains putting up 16 PPG considering the talent Nagy had at his disposal that Loggains lacked. Hell Loggains put up 17 PPG with Barkely, Hoyer, and Cutler each starting 5-6 games. 

I think both will be back next year, but need to have clear expectations given from the top. McCaskey needs to tell Pace he has to meet certain (realistic) offensive goals or he will be replaced. If he does meet it he can either choose to extend Nagy or pick another guy, or the next GM will pick out his own HC if they don't meet the goals. This is a business and almost any other business will demand certain metrics are met, this should be no different for Nagy and Pace.

• Like 1