How Would You Punish the Titans?

AFlaccoSeagulls

5 hours ago, Troy Brown said:

I get it, we all love football. But this is hurting the on field product and at that point, is it really worth it to have football? The season should already have an asterisk

Hurting it how? Except for the Titans, any one off player could easily get injured versus having COVID. Missing your best players suck, but the Niners have been missing more than anyone and it has nothing to do with COVID.

Not sure what you do for a living but most the country has to work. Some can work remotely, most cannot. There is traffic on freeways, people out and about - if all of these people can/have to work, why shouldn't the NFL, who have infinite resources compared to most people. This can work - the players just have to be careful and the teams have to follow the protocols.

And talking about not needing football - most of the players in the NFL aren't making millions - and we all know age isn't kind to NFL players - robbing them of that while bars and carwashes stay open (or never closed) doesn't make sense to me.

And from a societal standpoint, if the players are being unsafe now, what do you think they'd do if the season was cancelled? I doubt they'd all just be sitting on the couch when bars and clubs have reopened.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

Hurting it how? Except for the Titans, any one off player could easily get injured versus having COVID. Missing your best players suck, but the Niners have been missing more than anyone and it has nothing to do with COVID.

Not sure what you do for a living but most the country has to work. Some can work remotely, most cannot. There is traffic on freeways, people out and about - if all of these people can/have to work, why shouldn't the NFL, who have infinite resources compared to most people. This can work - the players just have to be careful and the teams have to follow the protocols.

And talking about not needing football - most of the players in the NFL aren't making millions - and we all know age isn't kind to NFL players - robbing them of that while bars and carwashes stay open (or never closed) doesn't make sense to me.

And from a societal standpoint, if the players are being unsafe now, what do you think they'd do if the season was cancelled? I doubt they'd all just be sitting on the couch when bars and clubs have reopened.

Just because the rest of america is stubbornly open (which isn't exactly accurate) doesn't mean the NFL should be. Sure, they have infinite resources, but didn't use them. It's just about an uneven playing field not making any sense as we've seen hurt the Patriots, Titans, Steelers, now Broncos, Bills. Their plan didn't work.

I don't do anything for a living. Because covid wiped out my field. Like a great deal of americans. 

edit: a lot of those injuries are covid related because it's possible they could have been prevented with more preparation time/presesason time as well. 

Edited by Troy Brown

11 minutes ago, Troy Brown said:

Just because the rest of america is stubbornly open (which isn't exactly accurate) doesn't mean the NFL should be. Sure, they have infinite resources, but didn't use them. It's just about an uneven playing field not making any sense as we've seen hurt the Patriots, Titans, Steelers, now Broncos, Bills. Their plan didn't work.

I don't do anything for a living. Because covid wiped out my field. Like a great deal of americans. 

edit: a lot of those injuries are covid related because it's possible they could have been prevented with more preparation time/presesason time as well. 

It kind of does though. If everyone would pause, or everyone in certain circles, then that would work.

But college football is going on - and even if it wasn't there will be an NFL draft. So there are 7--8 guys on average on each roster right now who won't be in the NFL next year (give or take a few that retire). Those guys have their shot, right now.

I know it's not exactly accurate that the rest of the country is open, but here in Columbus, Ohio it's pretty much 100% open. No concerts or sporting events, but you can go out to eat, go shopping, and most people had to keep working through it all.

Sucks that COVID did that to you, but I think the NFL has done everything short of a bubble, which I don't think would be worth it financially - they're going to lose revenue as is and a bubble would be way too much (for every team).

It's weird for us to think about it without laughing, but the truth is, most NFL players need their paychecks and they need the opportunity that's in front of them. 

Product on the field is always a question mark. I doubt Eagles fans care that the Niners had those injuries, but if both teams were fully healthy, Niners probably beat them by 20 points. Instead they lost.

8 hours ago, titanrick said:

Absolutely correct.  I would just like people to acknowledge the hypocrisy of the NFL for allowing the Pats/Chiefs game to be played two whole days after Cam tested positive.  And now we have Gilmore with a positive test.  I just think this is less about "players trying to find grey areas" as it is about the NFL not taking the incubation period into account in their protocols.  Now the Titans are going to pay the price for that.

Because their money-boy was playing. The NFL are complete gluttons. 

9 hours ago, Troy Brown said:

they don't care about the wellbeing of the players or they wouldn't be playing lol

this is insane. cool, titans players practiced together days after positive tests on their team.

the NFL had the gd patriots play a full game after their starting qb tested positive. this is insane that people are even upset about this.

well they shouldn't be playing is the thing, the nfl as a whole probably shouldn't be going ahead rn let's be real

8 hours ago, FrantikRam said:

this is a huuuuuuuge misapplication of logic man

why bother having workplace health and safety protocol when people may willingly expose themselves to danger in their private time? why bother having employer duty of care to employees at all then, for they could wind up in dangerous situations in their personal life, to take your argument to the logical extreme?

26 minutes ago, Shady Slim said:

this is a huuuuuuuge misapplication of logic man

why bother having workplace health and safety protocol when people may willingly expose themselves to danger in their private time? why bother having employer duty of care to employees at all then, for they could wind up in dangerous situations in their personal life, to take your argument to the logical extreme?

But that's not what I'm saying. I'm all for the safety procedures and workplace health.

That comment was measuring cancelling the season all together versus playing with the health protocols in place, and I'd argue that the players and society would actually be safer with these guys going to work everyday and getting tested, versus the season canceling and hoping they all stay inside and social distance. I'd feel the same about any work place that could provide daily testing.

So for me, if you were talking about things being unsafe to the players in general, I think it would actually be worse for them if the season was cancelled.

The main difference is accountability - when people are held accountable, they produce better results. If the NFL season were to be cancelled, that accountability becomes just the players responsibility as an individual, instead of as a part of a team.

While I think the Titans should be punished, the NFL really has very little grounds without looking like massive hypocrites. They made the Patriots and Chiefs play two days after Cam Newton was diagnosed with COVID. Now we have other players popping up and its very possible we could've spread it to some Chiefs players, especially with the photo circulating of Gilmore and Mahomes talking post game.

The NFL only cares about COVID when the optics make the league look dumb, they certainly didn't care about the Patriots possibly spreading it to the Chiefs.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Because their money-boy was playing. The NFL are complete gluttons. 

This take is getting stale. SO MANY companies stayed open through this thing. Just because our perception is that everyone in the NFL can afford to stop working (they can't), doesn't mean that's what they should do. It's not feasible for any company to take the incubation period into account. It's just not. I can get COVID going to the grocery store and then go into work tomorrow, and there's nothing anybody can do about it except not go to work at all. Which shouldn't be the solution if so many people need the opportunity and the paycheck, which they do.

The businesses that have shut down due to COVID are in two groups: companies that were forced to close and then couldn't recover, and companies who could open or stay open, but their business took a major hit. Companies that don't fall into that group are pretty much all open now - doesn't make much sense for the NFL buck that trend.

2 hours ago, FrantikRam said:

This take is getting stale. SO MANY companies stayed open through this thing. Just because our perception is that everyone in the NFL can afford to stop working (they can't), doesn't mean that's what they should do. It's not feasible for any company to take the incubation period into account. It's just not. I can get COVID going to the grocery store and then go into work tomorrow, and there's nothing anybody can do about it except not go to work at all. Which shouldn't be the solution if so many people need the opportunity and the paycheck, which they do.

The businesses that have shut down due to COVID are in two groups: companies that were forced to close and then couldn't recover, and companies who could open or stay open, but their business took a major hit. Companies that don't fall into that group are pretty much all open now - doesn't make much sense for the NFL buck that trend.

Bit of an overreaction, that. All your points you made - show me where I've said the counter. I think they should have moved the KC/NE game, not cancel the season. 

Edited by Hunter2_1

4 hours ago, FrantikRam said:

My only issue with this - there's absolutely no argument whatsoever that has professional sports as anything that's even remotely essential. It's the pinnacle of entertainment - but it's still entertainment.