Official 2021 QB Thread

NYRaider

5 minutes ago, BrownLeader said:

Of course I watched Nick when he was at Arizona

Then answer the questions lol. Did his arm strength magically disappear when he made the NFL? Can you show me the throws that indicate he had a good arm? Or are you just going to keep regurgitating stuff you found on google?

Also, just in case you need help with posting GIFs you intend to post. 

tenor.gif?itemid=16430856

You're welcome.

Edited by beekay414

16 hours ago, BrownLeader said:

because he was a statue, not especially accurate and considered a system QB.

fair enough. There's Rang. And I found another no name one just now that hated his arm. Here are some others..

Nawrocki, "strong armed to deliver downfield"

Mayock, " I kind of felt he had good but not great arm strength and kind of heavy feet," he said. "I didn't like his feet."

Kiper, “Has the size, he has the arm to be a second-round draft pick,” “What concerns me, though, is inaccuracy at times.”

Bleacher, "Nick Foles might not be the most accurate quarterback in the draft, but he can sure zip the ball in there."

SI, "has that prototypical NFL-ready size and arm strength... He doesn't have much mobility and will need time to adjust to a traditional NFL offense"

Scouts Inc, "While he doesn’t have the pocket mobility you’d like to see in the modern-era quarterback, he can beat pressure with a quick release. He also has a strong arm and above-average accuracy."

SidelinesScout "Has an above-average arm and is capable of making every throw, gets good velocity on his intermediate throws"

-----

I watched seasons worth of Cody Kessler, Colt McCoy, Brady Quinn, Charlie Frye....I know well what underwhelming arm strength is. Foles arm was/is fine.

I do not know what the hell this is all about, so Nick Foles has a crap arm all of a sudden?  What does this have to do with anything?  

Fact is Foles could sling it coming out of Arizona and was a talented all around passer, I agree with you on that.  In the video at the 33 second mark, 1:05 mark, 3:00 mark, 3:12 mark, 3:38 mark for example.  He had a damn talented arm for a college quarterback, arm strength is not just ball velocity coming off your hand, it is how far you can accurately throw a football down field and complete the pass consistently.   Sure maybe at times guys get a little overrated because of his height at quarterback but Foles is a Super Bowl champion QB being compared to a **** backup QB that has done nothing but has a good spiral and velocity on his passes?  It does not matter how pretty the pass looks coming off your hand if it is not on time and is not throw in a catchable position.    

Then again Cardale Jones had a cannon of an arm, that clearly does not matter if one cannot consistently complete passes accurately regardless of velocity or distance.  Nick had 70% completion percentage on that Super Bowl run, sure his entire career is not some Hall of Fame one but at least he accomplished something of note, something a certain other someone will probably never be able to say.  

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Fact is Foles could sling it coming out of Arizona and was a talented all around passer, I agree with you on that.  In the video at the 33 second mark, 1:05 mark, 3:00 mark, 3:12 mark, 3:38 mark for example.  He had a damn talented arm for a college quarterback, arm strength is not just ball velocity coming off your hand, it is how far you can accurately throw a football down field and complete the pass consistently.   Sure maybe at times guys get a little overrated because of his height at quarterback but Foles is a Super Bowl champion QB being compared to a **** backup QB that has done nothing but has a good spiral and velocity on his passes?  It does not matter how pretty the pass looks coming off your hand if it is not on time and is not throw in a catchable position.    

That's not arm strength. That's accuracy and touch. The Rams' HB, Darrell Henderson, can throw a football about 70 yards. There aren't many guys who have consistently started games in the NFL at QB who aren't capable of chucking it 60+ yards. Regardless, the discussion wasn't about insulting Foles. It was about pointing out that him, Schaub, and Trask all had/have underwhelming arm strength. They compensate in different ways. With Foles, it's through touch passes and anticipation. He's always thrown fades well for that reason.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Counselor said:

Why 

I'll say it like this, I'm not sure if there is a QB in this class that does anything better than him. Carson Wentz was killing it until this year and Wentz's college numbers aren't even close to what Lance did last season.

He scans the field when the #1 target is not an option. It's honestly hard to find plays of Lawrence having to look from one side to another. He has the arm that can complete all the passes you need for any system. He steps in to his passes even when the pressure is in his face and moves well in the pocket. Also, he's a great decision maker. If he has to run, he can get more than the first down. He just does everything as good as anyone in the draft. I would draft him and sit him behind a vet for at least a few weeks until he shows he's comfortable on this level. 

Looking at their one game so far this season, I didn't see many bad decisions. He made the right reads. Either just too much zip on the passes or his guys dropped it. We also have to keep in mind that smaller school teams didn't get a chance to practice much and don't access to everything that could get them on track quickly like the bigger schools. A lot of players around him aren't playing with the expectations of going to the NFL, so some of them probably slacked off a bit. Who knows. One game isn't enough for me to write him off. One thing I noticed is that he didn't start running until the end of the 2nd when the game was still close. That's great because he knows when he needs to run and can change the game by doing it. That's great for a team like the Jets that will need someone who can find ways to move the chains when WRs can't get open or the oline can't hold the block. 

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

1) That's not arm strength, that's touch and placement. Very different things. Every QB worth their salt can throw a football 50-60 yards. You seem to have a hard time differentiating that. 
2) The discussion was about arm strength, not ball placement and the other intricacies of playing QB. Tim Boyle was used as an example of what I look at when I'm dissecting one aspect of the game, not the entire thing. You, again, can't seem to comprehend what the discussion was. So, no, Nick Foles wasn't being compared, as a QB, to a **** back-up that has done nothing. What someone has accomplished as a pro has no bearing on what they were as a prospect, so again, another irrelevant point to the discussion at hand. You really probably shouldn't chime in on things when you don't even know what's being discussed.

But, we were asked by a mod to stop discussing Nick Foles so I'll move on.

Edited by beekay414
  • Like 1