Week 9 general discussion

Blackstar12

Just now, diamondbull424 said:

Watch it in slow motion. You’ll see it’s a catch by rule. Peters actually catches it cleanly. Then takes 4 steps in a very short period of time. Since 3 steps is the qualifier, it was a catch... even though in real time I thought the same.

Just now, Yin-Yang said:

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/nfl-video-rulebook/completing-a-catch/

c. after (a) and (b) have been fulfilled, performs any act common to the game (e.g., tuck the ball away, extend it forward, take an additional step, turn upfield, or avoid or ward off an opponent), or he maintains control of the ball long enough to do so. 

I suppose if “falling” constitutes an “act common to the game”, then he’s good to go. Although, I suppose other things should then be considered too - like breathing, moving, being alive, having two legs, etc.

2 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/nfl-video-rulebook/completing-a-catch/

c. after (a) and (b) have been fulfilled, performs any act common to the game (e.g., tuck the ball away, extend it forward, take an additional step, turn upfield, or avoid or ward off an opponent), or he maintains control of the ball long enough to do so. 

I suppose if “falling” constitutes an “act common to the game”, then he’s good to go. Although, I suppose other things should then be considered too - like breathing, moving, being alive, having two legs, etc.

So what you just pasted is the line that says a third step after catching the ball makes it a catch. THat's literally what I said in the post you quoted. If Peters makes a 3rd step before he loses the ball, then it is an interception. If he lost the ball before 3 steps it's an incompletion.