Week 10 General Discussion

ET80

9 hours ago, Starless said:

A lot of people were correctly picking the Patriots, 49ers and Texans. Though the Pats' collapse wasn't altogether unexpected.

Can Patriots fans shed some light on why the Patriots have "collapsed".  Are they as bad as their record says, are they worse, potentially better?  I thought their defense was decent last year, what happened?  

19 minutes ago, waterfish_21 said:

Can Patriots fans shed some light on why the Patriots have "collapsed".  Are they as bad as their record says, are they worse, potentially better?  I thought their defense was decent last year, what happened?  

Simple. On offense, the lack of talent at the WR and TE caused the unit to sputter for much of the season. They had a couple of more successful games recently, and it looks like they might have found a good #2 WR in Jakobi Meyers, but the unit is going to remain mediocre until they add more pieces.

The defense has been decimated by FA departures, injuries and key players opting out of the season. Their top 4 LBs from last year are gone - 3 left in FA (Kyle Van Noy, Jamie Collins, and Elandon Roberts), but most importantly Dont'a Hightower, who was the anchor of the front-7 for years, opted out, as well as Patrick Chung, the veteran safety. They've also been without their best DTs for multiple games at a time (Lawrence Guy and Adam Butler). Also, they've been missing the big body they had up front in Danny Shelton. 

Edited by Starless

50 minutes ago, waterfish_21 said:

A lot of what Starless said. NE was cap strapped before the opt-outs, so they were hurting at depth everywhere. They lost 5 starters and more rotational players on defense, didn’t have the money to improve the offense, lost another couple projected starters on offense, and didn’t hit on their offensive draft picks (Sony, Harris, Harry) to have a foundation to at least be stable with. 

11 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

We aren't allowed to bump old threads at FF
But if we were allowed, this one is a prime candidate for bumping. Amazing how different things look moving from August -> November

Time Flies
Like an Arrow
Fruit Flies
Like Bananas

Can't see how it was unexpected, tbh. I didn't expect quite as bad, but I expected bad.

12 hours ago, Johnny Nix said:

Cincinnati Bengals Joe Burrow GIF by Bengals
the chosen one shall deliver the upset 

I haven’t watched enough of other teams this year to say anything about the other games but this one is prime for an upset. The Steelers have just barely gotten by on a few games this year but they clearly showed last week that they are still capable of playing down to other teams.

On 11/13/2020 at 10:35 AM, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I really hope this is the game where the Ravens offense comes out and puts some major points on the board and makes a statement in prime time. It probably won't happen, but boy would it be nice.

It's probably not going to happen because the weather's going to be ugly. I also can't understand why there is all this pressure on the Ravens to max out regular season impressiveness when all we heard in the offseason was that it didn't matter how impressive they were in the regular season, they have to prove their success in the postseason. Now everyone's jumping on the regular season version of the team, when they are honestly going to win 12-13 games. 8 games in and playoffs are basically a lock unless Lamar gets hurt or the pandemic cancels the playoffs so hurdles have to be invented.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wackywabbit said:

It's probably not going to happen because the weather's going to be ugly. I also can't understand why there is all this pressure on the Ravens to max out regular season impressiveness when all we heard in the offseason was that it didn't matter how impressive they were in the regular season, they have to prove their success in the postseason. Now everyone's jumping on the regular season version of the team, when they are honestly going to win 12-13 games. 8 games in and playoffs are basically a lock unless Lamar gets hurt or the pandemic cancels the playoffs so hurdles have to be invented.

Because there are a group of people that cheer against Lamar and desperately want to see him fail. Especially after he was successful last year and made a bunch of people sit there with egg on their face. Now their confirmation bias leads them to grasp at anything they possibly can.

Also, some people don’t understand football outside of fantasy points. 

Edited by ThatJaxxenGuy
  • Like 1

As a 49ers fan I can't even be frustrated anymore. Doesn't matter how smart your head coach is, no one can compete when their roster is burned to a crisp. Just hoping for a competitive game against our former division rivals. 

Seahawks/Rams is probably my game of the week. Other than that that, Bills/Cardinals is the only other exciting game for me, but I'm hoping Chargers/Dolphins is good. Definitely a lull in the season matchups. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

46 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

As a 49ers fan I can't even be frustrated anymore. Doesn't matter how smart your head coach is, no one can compete when their roster is burned to a crisp. Just hoping for a competitive game against our former division rivals. 

Seahawks/Rams is probably my game of the week. Other than that that, Bills/Cardinals is the only other exciting game for me, but I'm hoping Chargers/Dolphins is good. Definitely a lull in the season matchups. 

Yep.  Tough season.   Luckily for us, cause we have an easier path to the playoffs,  especially with Vikings starting slow and Bears being the main competitor (already counting Rams and either Saints/Bucs).  But it does suck for the NFL.

Yeah, 3 really good matchups.  They trying to hype Ravens v. Patriots, but eh.

The Bengals/Steelers could be pretty good.   Although, not super interesting.

Vikings-Bears could be a crossroads for both teams. Currently going in different directions with questions with the 5-4 Bears losers of 3 straight while the 3-5 Vikings have won back to back

Can Zimmer beat Nagy? (He's 0-4)

With a lot of new faces can the Vikings face down the Ghost of Soldier Fields Past and get the win that the last core always struggled to get.

Speaking of Ghosts. What about Kirks visions of Monday Nights Past? Can he slay them?

Will Nick Foles find the 2017 NFCCG version of himself one more time? 

Can a stout Bears defense stop a scorching Dalvin Cook?

Find out on the next episode of Dragonball Z!!!

Edited by Beavis
  • Like 1

Two points on the Eagles - Giants game:

1 - The following players missed the first matchup

• Alshon Jeffrey
  • Lane Johnson
  • Dallas Goedert
  • Miles Sanders

All should be playing today.  (Reagor is in and Jackson is out)

2 - The Giants are 0-7 vs NFL teams that have names.

Edited by SkippyX