New GM and HC candidates?

HashtagFTW

26 minutes ago, BZski said:

Anyone else get the vibe that Chris Speilman is going to have a much bigger role than they put on? I think he may even have final say on draft picks. Maybe I’m reading too much into this but Barry said Chris was running the interviews. Holmes is a scout essentially, they interviewed Campbell before the second interview with Holmes. I think these hires are both Speilman’s. I don’t hate it but I’m pretty sure Campbell was not a Holmes hire and I think Speilman has a much bigger role going forward. 

It would shock me if Speilman had final say on draft picks after they hired a GM only known for his ability to find make good draft picks.

Then again, it does seem like a Lions thing to do.   

• Like 1

Ok assuming it’s Dan Campbell... what coordinators would you like to see? I think it’s pretty important that we get coordinators with HC experience. It’s no secret that the players love plying for the guy, but how would recently fired HC’s work with him?

Potential OC’s: Anthony Lynn, Adam Gase, Jay Gruden, Dirk Koetter

Potential DC’s: Steve Wilks..... idk who else is out there tbh. 

39 minutes ago, HashtagFTW said:

Ok assuming it’s Dan Campbell... what coordinators would you like to see? I think it’s pretty important that we get coordinators with HC experience. It’s no secret that the players love plying for the guy, but how would recently fired HC’s work with him?

Potential OC’s: Anthony Lynn, Adam Gase, Jay Gruden, Dirk Koetter

Potential DC’s: Steve Wilks..... idk who else is out there tbh. 

Some good options for OC honestly. I wouldn’t mind seeing Dirk Kortter as OC with Stafford. He likes to throw deep in his scheme.

DC will be interesting. Wade Phillips, Kris Richard (seems to fallen fast), I is think it will be someone who runs an aggressive scheme going off Campbells comments about D needing to play “balls to the walls”

Good vid. Thanks for posting it.

As for the OC search: I will be extremely disappointed if Stafford isn't give input. This guy has given everything for this losing franchise. If they don't let him have a say who he'd like to be his OC - whether that be Bevell or someone else - that'll be a blatant betrayal, in my opinion.

1 hour ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Although he may be an "unusual" selection, I like the "leader of men" pursuit with Campbell. I still believe that this roster has plenty of talent, and that a quality offseason could have us back in the right direction quickly.

I agree. We just need an average defense or he’ll just not the worst defense and a playmaker at WR.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Although he may be an "unusual" selection, I like the "leader of men" pursuit with Campbell. I still believe that this roster has plenty of talent, and that a quality offseason could have us back in the right direction quickly.

Yeah, me too. This kind of HC should give us a bit of credibility with players around the league after Quintricia alienated so many. As an aside; I am really excited to see what Holmes draft approach looks like. Hopefully we find ways to make meaningful trades while sticking with BPA.. Too many times Quinn over drafted players because of scheme fit. 

Edited by BarryTheBest
  • Like 2

On 1/15/2021 at 3:19 PM, sammymvpknight said:

There's a little known secret on the Saints...Ryan Nielson, who is the defensive line coach. He's a phenomenal coach and leader. Out of ALL of the Saints coaches (not Payton included), Nielson is actually the guy that I would hate for the Saints to lose most. It would not surprise me at all if Campbell tried to bring Nielson with him to be the DC if he got the head coaching gig...and it would be a huge loss for the Saints and huge gain for the Lions. 

Speaking of Ryan Nielson...he agreed to go to LSU to be their defensive coordinator. The Saints said, "not so fast", gave him a pay raise, the assistant head coach (previously owned by Campbell), and a three year extension. Phenomenal move by the Saints to not let that guy leave the building. He will definitely be a future defensive coordinator...at least.

26 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

Speaking of Ryan Nielson...he agreed to go to LSU to be their defensive coordinator. The Saints said, "not so fast", gave him a pay raise, the assistant head coach (previously owned by Campbell), and a three year extension. Phenomenal move by the Saints to not let that guy leave the building. He will definitely be a future defensive coordinator...at least.

Do you think this means that Aaron Glen is going to be our guy? What are your thoughts on him?

@sammymvpknight BTW - thanks for being so awesome for coming in here and giving us a look behind the curtains on Campbell, Nielson, etc. Outside of Payton, Brees, Kamara, Michael Thomas, etc. I personally don't know a ton about the Saints as an organization. Since Campbell isn't coming in with a lot of personal history as an OC/DC, it would be more difficult to make connections and know a lot about current position coaches. 

Really and truly appreciate it. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, teude said:

Lets go!

We need to hire an experienced OC. We need someone with HC experience. I'd be totally on board if they brought in Anthony Lynn unless they wanted to stick with Bevell. 

If they were to bring in Pep Hamilton, it would seem to indicate a move towards a younger QB. He has been given a lot of credit for the success of Andrew Luck at Stanford/Indy as well as developing Justin Herbert in LA. 

Edited by Karnage84

32 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

Aaron Glenn is a really good secondary coach. I honestly thought he had a chance at the Jets HC job.  Campbell knows him well, which is good. 

Are there other guys from the Saints that you expect will join either Campbell and/or Glenn with the Lions?