Jets: Build around Darnold, or draft a QB?

Nzd07

45 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I like this - I wouldn't say "sit behind good vets" moreso than he's competing for a starting job. He's still a commodity, but he's not walking into a starting gig until he earns it; If he gets beaten out, so be it.

Only caveat is the following:

Evaluate both QBs. If one of them is THE guy from your vantage point, take them. Still bring in the vet, still hold your competetion - but Darnold is now out of the equation.

What vet though? You're not bringing in Matt Ryan or Matt Stafford with the goal of holding a QB competition - you're bringing them in to start. What's being described is something akin to what the Bears did bringing in Foles, but they did that because they felt like minus the QB position they had a playoff-caliber roster, and that's not where the Jets are at. 

Either way if you are thinking about bringing in a QB to hold a real competition with Darnold, it's probably a lower caliber vet like Winston, one of Foles/Tribusky depending on what Chicago does this offseason, or maybe Dalton or Fitz. But if you're even worried about Darnold not being able to win a QB competition with a vet like that, then you're basically already conceding he's not the future, so you might as well just trade him before he sinks his value even further. You can't really put Darnold on the bench in Year 4 and pretend it's for developmental purposes. 

Edited by SalvadorsDeli

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'm willing to part with Jimmy G in any trade that gets the niners up to #2. You're welcome Jets fans. There's your bridge along with a whole bunch of picks 

Evacuate the city...

Engage all defenses...

VengefulTimelyGoldfish-size_restricted.g

...and get this man Zach Wilson!

• Like 1

I am no Darnold fan or think he’s that good, at all, but what’s the narrative to trade him and sign a vet QB with adding more talent vs keeping Darnold and adding more talent?

Wouldn’t you rather roll with a 23 yo hoping he turns it around with a better HC and roster vs some journey man?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

What vet though? You're not bringing in Matt Ryan or Matt Stafford with the goal of holding a QB competition - you're bringing them in to start. What's being described is something akin to what the Bears did bringing in Foles, but they did that because they felt like minus the QB position they had a playoff-caliber roster, and that's not where the Jets are at. 

Admittedly, I glossed over Ryan/Stafford part of the message.

I'm thinking more Jameis Winston, Foles/Trubisky, Jimmy G (assuming he's let go). Guys who are a few tiers below Ryan/Stafford, but could feasibly be competetion that Darnold could beat out.

The Jets aren't really looking to compete as-is. They're gathering assets and trying to show incremental growth, getting a few more wins and getting the Adam Gase stink out of the building.

8 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Admittedly, I glossed over Ryan/Stafford part of the message.

I'm thinking more Jameis Winston, Foles/Trubisky, Jimmy G (assuming he's let go). Guys who are a few tiers below Ryan/Stafford, but could feasibly be competetion that Darnold could beat out.

The Jets aren't really looking to compete as-is. They're gathering assets and trying to show incremental growth, getting a few more wins and getting the Adam Gase stink out of the building.

If I’m the Jets, would I rather sign a Winston, Foles, Jimmy G, etc. or give my 23 yo QB one more year with a new HC and better talent?

If it was me, I would probably prefer the latter.

6 minutes ago, RUGmen said:

If I’m the Jets, would I rather sign a Winston, Foles, Jimmy G, etc. or give my 23 yo QB one more year with a new HC and better talent?

If it was me, I would probably prefer the latter.

It's a competition - he's got every opportunity to work with that HC and better talent, but he's going to have to earn it.

It should be an easy competetion to win, but it's telling if you make it through TC and Winston/Foles/Trubs/Jimmy G is the better player.

He's just not very good and it's late. 

He's going into his 4th year with 7831 yds, 44 tds, 37 ints, a 78.6 QBR, sub 60% completion rating, and a 13-24 record pending next weeks stat line/results. 

I get it. Bad coaching, bad players. But Darnold was turnover prone at USC. He just hasn't improved. And this whole notion of "rebuild around a clearly failing QB" just doesn't make any sense. It's an anomaly. Alex Smith is the only QB in recent memory to have a truly bad start to his career and turn it around. Even still, it set the 49ers back. He's not Jared Goff, just one season in with conservative tendencies that can be masked for stretches. He's a 4th year QB to be with a gunslinger mentality. I genuinely cannot think of another example of someone in Darnold's situation who later became a success in the last 20 years. 

The likelihood of Darnold "moving to greener pastures and improving" are exceedingly slim. That kind of thing happens with QBs who have been objectively good and hit a slump. Darnold hasn't really not been in a "slump". 

The history just isn't there and on the Jets' side. 

I take advantage of the NFL being slow to recognize patterns and trade him ASAP. Let him become someone else's reclamation project and start the rebuild on a fresh page. 

Edited by ronjon1990
  • Like 2

If they draft Sewell...Jets should draft a QB in the 2nd or 3rd, or sign a decent vet.   

If they dont outright replace Darnold, they at least need to challenge him.    Competition breeds excellence.    Dont just hand Darnold the job.