Elway promoted (kind of); George Paton hired as GM

lomaxgrUK

40 minutes ago, bMiller031 said:

Klis’ tea leaves suggesting it’s Paton’s job if he wants it. Deciding between DET and us. It’ll be a cold dark day if we’re less appealing than that dumpster fire of dysfunction.

Oh how the mighty have fallen.

I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry.

• Like 3

As I said before, there are things I like and dislike about all of these candidates.  

What concerns me with Ziegler and Patriots coaches/executives in general is Belichick runs the show and no one does it as good as Belichick.  I think Belichick has gotten cute over the years in the draft, where he takes lesser talents and sees a fit.  His ability to place players in a position to succeed is better than anyone’s, which has allowed him to get away with it for almost 2 decades.  These Patriots coaches/executives leave and try and do something similar, a do more with less type of approach and it just doesn’t work because they aren’t Belichick and likely don’t have coaches like Belichick (though Fangio is a ridiculous defensive coach, which is a positive).

What I like about Ziegler is that he’s cut it in New England for so long.  You can’t fake it in New England.  Belichick is well known for being one of the most demanding heads of a franchise in history.  Ziegler will no doubt he highly knowledgeable and well prepared.

12 minutes ago, jolly red giant said:

MHR saying there is a possibility of a Paton/Kelly combo - that would not be a bad start.

Couldn’t find it.

Plus that has to be such BS. All 3 of them can be a real GM, if not this year than next, they’re not going to take some co-GM crap job with our ownership fiasco. If we can get one of the three to actually take the job it would be a positive. 

I think it’s going to be one of the three plus Stark promoted to Russell’s job.

Edited by AnAngryAmerican

18 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Couldn’t find it.

Plus that has to be such BS. All 3 of them can be a real GM, if not this year than next, they’re not going to take some co-GM crap job with our ownership fiasco. If we can get one of the three to actually take the job it would be a positive. 

I think it’s going to be one of the three plus Stark promoted to Russell’s job.

So I stand corrected, Klis does mention a Paton/Kelly combo in the article below but in the same breath dismisses it as a realistic option for the same reasons I stated. 

https://www.9news.com/amp/article/sports/nfl/denver-broncos/mike-klis/as-ziegler-drops-out-broncos-gm-search-focuses-on-paton-kelly-fontenot/73-d3ef8fbc-6250-4fb4-ac03-881a6432a8b6?__twitter_impression=true

Sounds like Ziegler impressed but BB sweetened the deal to stay in New England. Thank God, he might give a good interview but all BB lackeys do, that’s how they continue getting jobs around the league. 

Klis seems pretty convinced it’s going to be Paton as our top choice, I can live with that, albeit I have some reservations as I’ve stated before since he’s just worked under one guy his whole career. 

Edited by AnAngryAmerican

Just to state that I am delighted that Ziegler is out of the picture - I am with AAA in that I don't want anyone connected with the Pats running anything in Denver (even the football).

The more I think about it the more I want either Paton or Fontenot - I think it is time to dispense with the idea of bring in someone who already has relationships with the Broncos hierarchy and we get a new broom who will sweep clean. My concern with Kelly (and Stark) is that it would be more of the same. Kelly was part of the structure and has previous relationships with Ellis, Elway and Fangio - do with really want someone getting the job who would be beholding to the people who gave it to him because of past relationships (coupled with the fact that he was part of the team that brought Trubisky to Chicago).

Paton or Fontenot would be here on merit and not beholding to anyone - and they both come from structures that have done a decent job keeping their teams competitive over the past few years.

Give me a new broom please.

Edited by jolly red giant
  • Like 1

If we are expanding our search, which sounds like there are some rumors of that happening, I really really hope Ed Dodds is part of it. 

Below are not my words/edits, but one I took from another page.

"From an article by Zak Keefer in The Athletic, here's Ed Dodds in a nutshell (edited for language)

He was pissed off, tired of all the attention they were getting, tired of hearing how good they were and how great they were gonna be. The room needed some truth, some leveling, so eight days after it ended, emotions still raw, weeks and months of grueling work ahead, the damn Patriots punching another trip to the Super Bowl on the TV screen a few feet away, Ed Dodds gathered his scouts inside a bar in Mobile, Ala., and gave it to them.

“We ain’t done (bleep) yet,” the Colts assistant general manager told them. “We won a (bleep)ing wild-card game.”

You don’t get trophies for AFC wild-card games, and Dodds didn’t come to Indianapolis to win wild-card games. But two years in, anyone could see: the rebuild was working. The Colts had flipped 4-12 into 10-6, won a playoff game and had a roster stocked with young talent. The pundits couldn’t help but praise. The Colts were coming. Soon.

But Dodds didn’t wanna hear it, and didn’t want his scouts thinking it. If there’s anything that scares the hell out of him, it’s complacency. He fears it. Fights it. To him it just felt like it needed to be said, then and there, the night before they went to work at the Senior Bowl in late January, the unofficial kickoff to an exhaustive three-month stretch that would ready the entire personnel department for that spring’s draft. So he lit into them.

“I just felt like everyone was jacked, we’re on this win streak, and I’m kinda like, what the (bleep) does it matter?” Dodds said a few months later. “If we don’t go to a Super Bowl, so what? A couple of injuries, bomb a couple of draft picks, no one in the pipeline to replace the players you lost? You gotta be relentless. You can’t stop. I don’t.”

Basically, he called a meeting of his scouting staff just so he could yell at them and tell them.it wasn't good enough.

There's also this tidbit from the same source about working for Al Davis...

Dodds has done this for a decade and a half, so he knows. He cut his teeth in Oakland, learning from Al Davis that B.S. won’t get you far in this league.

“With Mr. Davis, you learned quickly,” Dodds explains, “that if you don’t know the answer to a question, just say you don’t know and take your ***-beating right there. Don’t guess.”'

Ed Dodds is actually a good segue into something I’ve been meaning to post here. Don’t put too much meaning into who we can attract for interviews, who pulls their name from consideration, etc. Everyone’s got different criteria/preferences they’re looking for when taking a job like this, and it can look pretty silly from the outside if you don’t know what’s happening on the inside. For example, Dodds withdrew from consideration for the Panthers job yesterday, but he’s interviewing for the Lions gig today. Maybe a big sticking point for him is being able to choose his own coach (which he wouldn’t get here), but that’s pure speculation. Choosing the Detroit Lions over the Carolina Panthers sounds crazy, but everyone has different priorities. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Maybe a big sticking point for him is being able to choose his own coach (which he wouldn’t get here), but that’s pure speculation.

I do wonder if Elway and Ellis are quietly selling it as “you will get to choose your own coach...just not yet”