Watson trade rumors

LoganF89

3 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Yeah, would’ve been worth the trade up or to get up and take Mahomes.

It falls on def ears because that was a questionable QB class said the experts. Well how much expertise does it take to say that when only 5 or 6 players have ever come out without having a ton of question marks at that spot? When you see flashes of greatness in college you have to trust your coaches to get the best out of that style of play. Watson very much had it!!! Mahomes has every tool and went to the one system and coach where it was just perfect.
I know people here will question my guy in this class actually this class there are 3 and I’d like too get two of them. I want Mond in the mid rounds. And I want Lance just a hair ahead of Wilson. I just think Wilson is a walking injury list player though I love his game. But I know the level of comp isn’t that of Bama. But the lower level schools in the last 4 years are closer then ever. The coaches are amazing and will be replacing a ton of bums at the higher level very soon. But Lance has it!!! If you draft Lance and Mond you literally have two guys that can run the exact gameplan for this team. Let them compete and push each other. Both are gamers and after year 2 you trade the one you don’t start for higher comp and continue to develop guys.
Finding a once in a lifetime QB is so rare it is a stroke of luck. But finding a young cheap guy you can win with and get a title is very real. And if he doesn’t become top by year 4 draft another and move him on the franchise tag after you say your next guy a year. this Roster isn’t there but by year 2 or 3 we can be with a rookie on a cheap deal. I’d double up on Mond and Lance not only because your odds go up on hitting but their interchangeable schematically. Competition will always increase production IMO. I know this isn’t the way of the past but I tend to look to be the innovator of a trend and not the one 3 years too late.

• Like 1

Gonna be honest here guys........I would be all in for Deshaun Watson.  We already have a pretty good defense, with some of our better players under long-term contracts.  We have some work to do as far as skill position players go, but we have two pretty good ones in Gibson and McLaurin.  

The success rate for first round QBs is not that great anyway, so would I be willing to part with 2-3 first rounders to acquire a young, top 10 QB?  Absolutely yes.  If we were to draft one this year and we get the decision wrong, the following two first rounders would be pointless anyway (in a sense.)  It is rare for a talent like Watson to be available, and I somehow doubt that he is- the Texans remain a popular destination because they do have Watson around- but if he is available........you've got to heavily consider it.  

55 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Gonna be honest here guys........I would be all in for Deshaun Watson.  We already have a pretty good defense, with some of our better players under long-term contracts.  We have some work to do as far as skill position players go, but we have two pretty good ones in Gibson and McLaurin.  

The success rate for first round QBs is not that great anyway, so would I be willing to part with 2-3 first rounders to acquire a young, top 10 QB?  Absolutely yes.  If we were to draft one this year and we get the decision wrong, the following two first rounders would be pointless anyway (in a sense.)  It is rare for a talent like Watson to be available, and I somehow doubt that he is- the Texans remain a popular destination because they do have Watson around- but if he is available........you've got to heavily consider it.  

It comes down to the asking prince & my belief is that if Houston is trading their franchise QB, they’re going to want our franchise player back plus some other picks. 

Would you trade Chase Young for DeShaun Watson?

7 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

It comes down to the asking prince & my belief is that if Houston is trading their franchise QB, they’re going to want our franchise player back plus some other picks. 

No, and if a player of that caliber is on the table, I walk away.  But if they want 2-3 first rounders?  Done.  

25 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

No, and if a player of that caliber is on the table, I walk away.  But if they want 2-3 first rounders?  Done.  

3 first rounders would cripple this franchise. The most I’d be willing to do is a two firsts and Daron Payne and I know that’s nowhere close. But this whole idea the talks start at three firsts and two two’s is the reason Watson will never be traded.

It’s too rich for any franchise to do but if you’re the Texans and you have no draft picks and no cap space with what I believe is an aging roster why wouldn’t you put it out there and see what you get? He’s a tremendous talent but I don’t see how they can put a team around him with their limited resources? 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

3 first rounders would cripple this franchise. The most I’d be willing to do is a two firsts and Daron Payne and I know that’s nowhere close. But this whole idea the talks start at three firsts and two two’s is the reason Watson will never be traded.

It’s too rich for any franchise to do but if you’re the Texans and you have no draft picks and no cap space with what I believe is an aging roster why wouldn’t you put it out there and see what you get? He’s a tremendous talent but I don’t see how they can put a team around him with their limited resources? 

If you think the window is now, then you make the deal.  Drafting a QB round 1 this year and having them bust makes the next two first rounders irrelevant in some aspects.  

Two firsts and Payne or three firsts is it.  I won't give up the seconds or anything beyond that.  We also have to factor in that the Texans will be eating the guaranteed money so we actually get a cap break in a sense with this deal, if it is indeed made.  

On 1/8/2021 at 10:47 AM, Thaiphoon said:

Also...I just read something to the effect (if what I read is true), that Watson was not happy with not being consulted on the GM hire.

Yeah...if true, that's not a good look for me.

Except apparently the owner told him that he would be consulted.

7 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

We also have to factor in that the Texans will be eating the guaranteed money so we actually get a cap break in a sense with this deal, if it is indeed made.  

Not as much as you would think. The contract is effectively guaranteed through 2023:

• Salary = $10.54M (fully guaranteed)
    • Cap Value = $10.54M
    • Salary = $35.0M (fully guaranteed)
    • Cap Value = $35.0M
    • Salary = $20.0M (guarantees in March 2022)
    • Roster bonus = $17.0M (guarantees in March 2022)
    • Cap Value = $37.0M

After this, two team year options that have zero long term cap ramifications

• Salary = $32.0M
    • Cap Value = $32.0M
    • Salary = $32.0M
    • Cap Value = $32.0M

3 minutes ago, Woz said:

Except apparently the owner told him that he would be consulted.

Okay. Then that shades things a bit more. But still, the employee has to understand that they aren't always going to be consulted on their boss' hire. Even if the owner does say they will. If I were his agent I'd just say "<Stuff> happens. Put your big girl panties on and drive on."

I know he might be looking for another place to play and using this as a pretext to try to get out of Houston with this move. But still...he might end up moving to an even worse situation for him, while watching the Texans bounce back with his successor.

15 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Okay. Then that shades things a bit more. But still, the employee has to understand that they aren't always going to be consulted on their boss' hire. Even if the owner does say they will. If I were his agent I'd just say "<Stuff> happens. Put your big girl panties on and drive on."

Absolutely.

However, the whole thing is sort of jacked up. Read the whole thread

But specifically this one

On 1/5/2021 at 8:39 PM, Drained said:

Team paid a million for a search firm to build a list to only disregard it ultimately and hire Nick Caserio. Ok. We are officially a poverty franchise.

or @ET80's cri de coeur

15 hours ago, ET80 said:

You captured my entire conundrum here. At the end of the day, Easterby is too tied to this organization for me - celebrating the Texans is celebrating him at this point, and I can't stomach that.

@Woz - I have my own Bruce Allen. Pray for me, because I might go to jail for driving my buddy's truck into his house.

11 hours ago, turtle28 said:

DeShaun Watson is worth 5 chase youngs. 

You think that Bosa or Herbert means more to the Chargers? Watt or a young big ben? Strahan or Manning? Freeny + Mathis or Peyton? The entire Pats/saints DL's or a young Brady/Brees? 

You get the point

• Like 1