Future QB Discussion

G08

6 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Some of you fans = "get a QB...we haven't had one in years....I don't care how much capital it takes"

It's like you guys think giving up multiple drafts picks and players is going to suddenly equal success. Which is stupid on so many levels.

It takes much more than a good QB to win.

It does, but to counter that thought... without a good QB it's highly unlikely you're winning jack **** unless you luck out and win with a Joe Flacco/Nick Foles type player who got hot at the right time and all the chips fell perfectly like what happened with the Ravens/Eagles when they won their respective SBs most recently...but as we see year after year that's rare and an exception to the norm

Bears already have a pretty good core with their current team..I really don't know how much more building they can keep doing every year until they find an actual QB they can rely on game after game before the current window with this team closes

17 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

It does, but to counter that thought... without a good QB it's highly unlikely you're winning jack **** unless you luck out and win with a Joe Flacco/Nick Foles type player who got hot at the right time and all the chips fell perfectly like what happened with the Ravens/Eagles when they won their respective SBs most recently...but as we see year after year that's rare and an exception to the norm

Bears already have a pretty good core with their current team..I really don't know how much more building they can keep doing every year until they find an actual QB they can rely on game after game before the current window with this team closes

@JAF-N72EX

It seems it takes either a great total team with an outstanding defense or a good total team with a great QB.

Part of good total team almost always includes a good O oline.  And TE is really part of Oline.

I think TB for example, really improved not just with addition of Brady, but Gronk (blocking and much later receiving) and Wirfs draft pick hitting in a big way.  

I think had GBs LT not gotten hurt they likely win SB and had KCs OL not been decimated by injury they probably win it.    OL matters a lot.  

Most SB winning teams over history have had at least good or really O lines that year with only some exceptions.   Only ones I can think of off top of my head are some of the Patriot teams.  And in those years they had really good Ds and a quick passing attack under a QB that can make really quick decisions and help his Oline.

Seems to be a lot easier to win with a good OL than without one.

I have noticed this at every level of football as well.  Parents used to hate me because I would put good athletes on OL and they didn’t want their son playing OL.   But we won games.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, abstract_thought said:

If you give up a haul for Wilson, the inevitable conclusion is that you won't have many ways to improve the talent around him.

He has to be good enough to elevate what's already here. You don't get to eat your cake and have it too.

The talent around him is fine for now if they keep Robinson, Mooney, Monty etc.  They would obviously need to add some reinforcements on the OL, but they should be able to address that area in the 2nd-4th rounds.

The big thing people are overlooking with bringing in a QB of Wilson's caliber is that he will naturally draw a lot of FAs to want to come join the Bears, and at probably less than what they would normally ask for, in order to try and chase a ring. 

Not to mention Chicago is one of the premier cities in NA...it is already a very attractive landing spot for players.

I think that's a big advantage Bears have over some of these other teams like Seattle, Houston.  I mean those cities are very nice from what I've been told but they're not Chicago.

A QB of Wilson's or Watson's stature would do a lot more for this organization than most..

The only other comparable markets to me are NY, LA and maybe Miami

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

It feels like the Russel Wilson thing may have a good chance of becoming a reality.

I still maintain that Bears need to upgrade O line (at least one OT position) and retain Robinson or a like WR even with Wilson to be competitive.  

It's starting to seem more like it's actually going to happen, doesn't it? Weird.

I'd be shocked if Wilson would consider becoming a Bear without an assurance that Robinson was at least going to be tagged. And I say it all the time--upgrading the O line won't be all that hard. Pace just has to make an effort to do so. There are probably going to be some good linemen available in FA, too. But of course, that's going to require some salary juggling. 

If you give up a haul for Wilson, the inevitable conclusion is that you won't have many ways to improve the talent around him.

He has to be good enough to elevate what's already here. You don't get to eat your cake and have it too.

Well, getting back to what I posted above--Pace simply has to start drafting offensive players. Can't have split, or defensive heavy drafts any more. He's also going to have to figure out how to monkey with his cap, so it's not so heavily tilted in favor of the defense. Luckily, after the new TV deal goes through, and people start filling the stadiums again, the cap will most likely balloon. Which will make that task a lot easier. 

I have come to realize that the salary cap can largely be circumvented by adding years and using signing bonuses amongst other things.   It isn't 100% 'a myth', but you can definitely outspend other teams if you are inclined to do so by kicking can again and again into future years of cap.     

It does mean real dollars for ownership in terms of spending.   No one gets a total blank check.   Even Jerry Jones who makes most on side of any team won't pay Dak whatever he wants.   

This will be a very interesting year, because not every team is so inclined to spend away and cap room needs to be created.   Going to be many good players on FA market.

Whoever shops the best can create a good team this season, potentially out of nowhere.  Going to be a real test of GM skill. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Whoever shops the best can create a good team this season, potentially out of nowhere.  Going to be a real test of GM skill. 

There are a few clubs that really have that going for them, yeah. Jacksonville, for example. They were one of the better one win teams the league has seen, and as long as Lawrence doesn't bust, they could actually be a contender as early as 2022! 

4 hours ago, topwop1 said:

The talent around him is fine for now if they keep Robinson, Mooney, Monty etc.  They would obviously need to add some reinforcements on the OL, but they should be able to address that area in the 2nd-4th rounds.

The big thing people are overlooking with bringing in a QB of Wilson's caliber is that he will naturally draw a lot of FAs to want to come join the Bears, and at probably less than what they would normally ask for, in order to try and chase a ring. 

Not to mention Chicago is one of the premier cities in NA...it is already a very attractive landing spot for players.

I think that's a big advantage Bears have over some of these other teams like Seattle, Houston.  I mean those cities are very nice from what I've been told but they're not Chicago.

A QB of Wilson's or Watson's stature would do a lot more for this organization than most..

The only other comparable markets to me are NY, LA and maybe Miami

I would think that Robinson is gone if Wilson comes here. He has a significant contract and the Bears would likely need to eat some dead money in order to acquire him. And any trade is going to require multiple picks.

It's not hard to envision a scenario where the Bears have Wilson but need to replace Massie, Graham, and Robinson with picks from rounds 3-7.

3 minutes ago, CBears019 said:

I don't mind this, but I suppose the money is relevant to what the Bears may ultimately do moving forward.

I believe Dak is a serviceable if not above average quarterback, but Dak's play varies too much for him to survive in the Chicago market.

1 minute ago, chisoxguy7 said:

I don't mind this, but I suppose the money is relevant to what the Bears may ultimately do moving forward.

I believe Dak is a serviceable if not above average quarterback, but Dak's play varies too much for him to survive in the Chicago market.

Here are the numbers: