Falcons hired Arthur Smith as Head Coach

ACO

6 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

Is he the richest head coach ever? 

He's in it for the love of the game, not the paycheck. Dude could be chilling out the rest of his life on islands I can't pronounce if he wanted to.

Happy for Smith, he's gotten to the top dog role now. He was good for us on offense, but there'd be times where he would keep us running into a brick wall without adjustments (the recent Ravens playoff game being a big example). 90% of the time he's a great OC, but that other % will frustrate you. All the same, you could do a lot worse. I'll be interested and follow to see how he does as a head coach; his personality seemed atuned to being a coordinator but I could be wrong.

• Like 1

I don't think a running oriented hire is a good hire in today's passing league.  The only reason the Titans have had moderate success with it is the personnel. 

To put it in terms Arthur might understand, he's doing ground shipping when he should be shipping on FedEx Air

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

If he comes on - gotta think he's going to want to install his O - and move on from Matt Ryan (as opposed to staying with Raheem Morris, or going with a D-minded HC).

I would think the exact opposite about Ryan. 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

I would think the exact opposite about Ryan. 

Just curious - why do you think Smith would want to keep Ryan?   A D minded HC would seem far more likely to keep the O relatively intact.   Most O gurus would want to get their guy who’s there for the long run.  Ryan looks like he’s only got 1-2 more years left (if that) at his current level of production.  

Or is it the PA-based run O why you think he’d keep Ryan?   

1 hour ago, Kirill said:

Eric Bienemy would've been a better hire. These teams are going to regret not being patient letting us win the chip then hiring him

I'm starting to worry about Bienemy.  Is his team's success going prevent him from getting enough interviews to be hired?  For example, I heard that the Texans would like to interview him but because he will probably be making a deep playoff run, they might not have the luxury of being able to wait to interview him, as they could miss out on everybody else if they do.

Edited by Uncle Buck
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Just curious - why do you think Smith would want to keep Ryan?   A D minded HC would seem far more likely to keep the O relatively intact.   Most O gurus would want to get their guy who’s there for the long run.  Ryan looks like he’s only got 1-2 more years left (if that) at his current level of production.  

It's an absurd cost to let him go (even via trade). It would destroy the record for dead money hit in a year and he's not playing at a bad level. So that would make it unlikely regardless imo. 

But yeah, this offense is a similar scheme to the one he won the mvp so they know what kind of upside is there. 

29 minutes ago, Gmen said:

I don't think a running oriented hire is a good hire in today's passing league.  The only reason the Titans have had moderate success with it is the personnel. 

To put it in terms Arthur might understand, he's doing ground shipping when he should be shipping on FedEx Air

I was thinking the same thing.  Unless we're missing something, the "Shanahan offense" seems to be a bit antiquated compared to some of the high-flying passing schemes being employed by other teams in this era.  It IS effective, but in my experience as a Vikings fan, I always got the impression that they could score more points and possibly win more games if they utilized their expensive QB and two very talented receivers more.

I'm a fan. Gets the most out of his players, seems to be well liked, and has had success in the red zone (something the Falcons have struggled with for years). Who he brings in at OC and DC will be interesting. We'll see if he calls his own plays too.

On the Ryan and Julio note, I think both stay. Trade down, pick up an extra 2nd +, grab a RB on day 2, and load up on defense. 

3 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Does Henry come with him?

No, but NAjee Harris in that same role would have every Falcons fan drooling.

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

Owner made his fortune from Home Depot, HC lived off fortune from FedEx. I smell corporate collaboration here...

...I also expect Matt Ryan in the MVP conversation, and I expect Atlanta to field a top 3 offense with a OROY RB.

Agreed on Ryan

2 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Isn't Atlanta's biggest issue on defense?

Yes, but it was better the second half of the year by far. Biggest issue is talent, and the only way to fix that is the drat.

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

Um.....are we sure Smith will accept?   Seriously asking, was ATL the only place he interviewed?

If he comes on - gotta think he's going to want to install his O - and move on from Matt Ryan (as opposed to staying with Raheem Morris, or going with a D-minded HC).

Why would he move on from Ryan when his scheme is perfect for Ryan?

23 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

The PA based run O is why he'd keep Ryan.

8 minutes ago, swoosh said:

I'm a fan. Gets the most out of his players, seems to be well liked, and has had success in the red zone (something the Falcons have struggled with for years). Who he brings in at OC and DC will be interesting. We'll see if he calls his own plays too.

On the Ryan and Julio note, I think both stay. Trade down, pick up an extra 2nd +, grab a RB on day 2, and load up on defense. 

Completely agree with Swoosh her.