2021 Offseason Discussion

Kiwibrown

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

Nude is right.

problemchild.gif&f=1&nofb=1

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

It got me to thinking, my God the secondary is the most frustrating unit on the team. Think about how many resources have been dumped into that unit.

I wouldn't say I necessarily disagree strongly the other direction, but I wouldn't say we have spent more resources than most other teams.  Ward (top-10), Greedy (mid-2nd), Delpit (mid-high 2nd), Harrison (5th) +some mostly reasonable/escapable contracts tossed out to journeymen--seems pretty standard.  Or do you mean resources dumped in historically?  If so, I'd say the Browns have gotten bad return on pretty much all resources spent at all position groups.

11 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Nude is right.

It got me to thinking, my God the secondary is the most frustrating unit on the team. Think about how many resources have been dumped into that unit.

We need one of Greedy or Delpit (preferably Delpit) to be a main staple starter for our defense, period. Him and Harrison as starters next year, assuming Delpit is even average, would be a tremendous upgrade.

Ward's longevity/durability concerns me, because the depth in the CB unit falls off dramatically.

We are extremely weak up the middle aside from Richardson, who is solid, but likely a cap casualty unless he restructures, and we need another DT (even besides Billings and Elliott), and our LB corps is a disaster.

I'd keep TakiTaki as a rotational coverage guy, but I'm cutting bait with Wilson and letting Goodson go in free agency.

We need an immediate impact LB (or two), about 2 CBs (true outside #2 starter opposite Ward, and a slot/Nickel guy), and another S for depth/potentially a starter.

That still leaves a glaring hole at the DE opposite Myles, as well as a rotational DT.

In an ideal world, give me:

Free agency:

DE: Big time free agent splash (Yannick, Williams (if he's not tagged), Okwara, Hendrickson)

Slot CB

rotational safety/starting safety to go with Delpit/Harrison as the 3 Safety package

DT (goodbye Ogunjobi, hello new guy)

Draft:

1st: Impact LB

2nd: Starting caliber CB

Then you hope MAYBE Greedy can be the 3rd/slot guy, or even your #2 in a "prove it" year.

DE: Myles

DE: Big name FA

DT: Richardson on a restructured deal

DT: Free agent, Billings

LB: TakiTaki

MLB: 1st Round Pick

LB: Phillips, FA

CB: 2nd Rounder, Greedy

CB: Ward

S: Harrison

S: Delpit

Hybrid S: Free Agent

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

We need one of Greedy or Delpit (preferably Delpit) to be a main staple starter for our defense, period. Him and Harrison as starters next year, assuming Delpit is even average, would be a tremendous upgrade.

Ward's longevity/durability concerns me, because the depth in the CB unit falls off dramatically.

We are extremely weak up the middle aside from Richardson, who is solid, but likely a cap casualty unless he restructures, and we need another DT (even besides Billings and Elliott), and our LB corps is a disaster.

I'd keep TakiTaki as a rotational coverage guy, but I'm cutting bait with Wilson and letting Goodson go in free agency.

We need an immediate impact LB (or two), about 2 CBs (true outside #2 starter opposite Ward, and a slot/Nickel guy), and another S for depth/potentially a starter.

That still leaves a glaring hole at the DE opposite Myles, as well as a rotational DT.

Free agency:

DE: Big time free agent splash (Yannick, Williams (if he's not tagged), Okwara, Hendrickson)

Slot CB

rotational safety/starting safety to go with Delpit/Harrison as the 3 Safety package

Draft:

Then you hope MAYBE Greedy can be the 3rd/slot guy, or even your #2 in a "prove it" year.

Goodson was pretty good. I’d keep him. He just can’t be our best LB. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Goodson was pretty good. I’d keep him. He just can’t be our best LB. 

I'm fine keeping Goodson as well if the price is right. He or Phillips can start alongside of the "new guy" with TakiTaki as a Nickel LB with either of those two off of the field IMO. 

4 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Free agency:

Slot CB

Draft:

- Apparently Berry is bullish on both Greedy and Delpit coming back full go next season 

- I definitely agree with drafting a guy to compete with Greedy or maybe we can luck up and get a disgruntled guy who is already a starter who is still on their rookie contract for a 4th which would be awesome too

- As far as DE, there are a lot of ways we can go but TBH, I want to upgrade the backups as well, outside of Clayborn, none of those guys move me at all. I think they will probably marry asking price/age/history of production with where they want to spend and I think that will be your guy. I also am intrigued with Curtis Weaver brings, but we definitely have to bring in a guy with some juice in his legs, enough of these stiff hipped, tight guys

- As far as DT, If we do get rid of Richardson (which would be bad for leadership purposes) I wouldn't mind bringing in Geno Atkins on a 2 year deal and pair him with a high level rookie like Jaylen Twyman, Daviyon Nelson or a Marvin Wilson, that room would instantly be better than this past season. Also Vincent Taylor always flashed when he got in, maybe we need to look deeper into what he has

- I don't think there is a guy worthy of a 1st round grade at MLB this year except Nick Bolton and even him im meh on him at 26, I'd be actually great with Lavonte David for 2 years, he would be the best backer we've had in a long time

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Pretty spot on. Even including the offense, they just need a burner. Is that OBJ? In a perfect world 100% yes.

In a perfect world, yes.

But in our world, I do not think so.

He isn't what he was. I do not think that he can take the top off a defense any more.

He hasn't fit in. Free lance routes, drops and play calls or feelings that the ball must be fed to him with positive results being mostly not there.

He costs a lot of money.

He can be a distraction.

I have seen several mocks in which we go WR in R1.

If that were combined with trading OBJ for a 2nd, I would be all in.

2 hours ago, candyman93 said:

They’re below average against the run though. So it’s balanced out.

Honestly? This is the modern NFL. I'd rather be 1st against the pass and 32nd against the run than 12th against the pass and top 5 against the run. Passing defense is like 80% of your value on defense now.

1 hour ago, FGK said:

Honestly? This is the modern NFL. I'd rather be 1st against the pass and 32nd against the run than 12th against the pass and top 5 against the run. Passing defense is like 80% of your value on defense now.

I would rather be top10 in both. 

• Like 2