Now that Pettine is gone, who should be the new DC?

BluePacker

I forgot this is the Packers and it’s likely the first choice turns the job down, leading to a narrative that Ball didn’t want to pay him, and the second choice takes the job but every time the defense gives up 30 the narrative will come back out that we could’ve had the first choice.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Macc_Aviv said:

Interesting note in there about how Leonhard was offered the Rams' DC position in 2018 and turned it down. 

That doesn't sound right at all. If that was correct then it means he was offered the job whilst Phillips was still the coordinator. Phillips didn't leave until 2020.

If the writer made a mistake and meant to say 2020 then that is interesting. It would mean McVay offered the job to Leonhard which was turned down and the job was given to Staley without much consideration for Evero. The very next year the coordinator position opened up again and McVay chose to hire Morris, again without much consideration for Evero.

I guarantee McVay would've told LaFleur all about Leonhard.

For the Packers it seems Leonhard is again further ahead of Evero. Evero may be incredibly knowledgeable but clearly there's something lacking about him. Leonhard must be a very impressive person to get job offers from both McVay and LaFleur.

2 hours ago, deathstar said:

Now Silverstein is reporting they may have offered the job to Leonhard.

https://amp.packersnews.com/amp/4342728001?__twitter_impression=true

Another thing possibly working against LaFleur is the way he seemed to blame Pettine for the botched call at the end of the first half in the NFC championship game against Tampa Bay. Sources said Pettine was told to play man coverage instead of zone and another source said Pettine misunderstood LaFleur.

Either way, LaFleur had a timeout left and could have stopped play before Brady threw a 39-yard touchdown pass to Scotty Miller.

LaFleur blamed himself in his season-ending news conference, but the impression after the game was that he was laying blame at Pettine’s feet and Leonhard may not feel good about that given his friendship with Pettine.

QBs audible at the line of scrimmage all the time. Do defensive leaders not do the same?  I just wonder why no one on the D realized they were in the wrong call and needed to change it.  I know sometimes the personnel on the field may not be ideal but wouldn't you still realize you needed to drop someone else back to help King.  What's the dynamic in this situation?  The players expect King to just make the play?

34 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

QBs audible at the line of scrimmage all the time. Do defensive leaders not do the same?  I just wonder why no one on the D realized they were in the wrong call and needed to change it.  I know sometimes the personnel on the field may not be ideal but wouldn't you still realize you needed to drop someone else back to help King.  What's the dynamic in this situation?  The players expect King to just make the play?

Amos said later he wishes he had called time out. He said just to make sure everybody was agreed on what the call should be. When I watch the replay, I wonder if King was unsure. He seems to be looking to the inside while Miller slips by him to the outside. 

2 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

Amos said later he wishes he had called time out. He said just to make sure everybody was agreed on what the call should be. When I watch the replay, I wonder if King was unsure. He seems to be looking to the inside while Miller slips by him to the outside. 

?

King's not some rookie just off the campus. Forget the defensive scheme. Forget it.

King *had to know* he was on an island. He *had to know* he couldnt let Miller get behind him.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Pugger said:

If indeed Leonard was offered the job, did Jimmy turn it down?  I'm beginning to believe MLF is waiting to interview assistants from both SB teams before making a firm decision.

The NFL hates for teams to make announcements prior to the Super Bowl .. so the Packers will probably wait until Monday or Tuesday to announce anything. 

Just now, {Family Ghost} said:

The NFL hates for teams to make announcements prior to the Super Bowl .. so the Packers will probably wait until Monday or Tuesday to announce anything. 

I didn't think about that.  If we offered Leonard the job I'll be happy about that.  🙂

I won't pretend to be upset that Leonhard won't be the new DC

I wonder how much his background/friendship with Pettine affected his decision.  I have to think Leonhard went straight to the source for some insight into what to expect if he accepted the DC job in GB.

Edited by Mazrimiv