When can we start putting Mahomes on the list of all-time great QBs?

childofpudding

Already three AFCC games, two SB games and one SB victory. All with dominant individual QB play. If he gets 2 rings in two weeks, can we start pondering where he belongs on the all-time list?

I suppose if he completely fell off or had some career-ending injury next season, then we would dock him on the ranking for lack of longevity. But we are already talking about one of the great peaks for a QB in NFL history. Right? And it's only his third year. He might not even be at his peak yet.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

Yes, he's taking the first steps towards a top 3 all time trajectory.  He won't always have a supporting cast this insane though, and it'll be interesting to see how he handles it.

This is what I’m most interested in. Talent wise, the kid is the most gifted combination of athlete/passer in the history of the league IMO.

I do want to see how he takes care of business when he doesn’t have guys consistently getting open every play. I don’t doubt that he will, but we’ve seen the all time greats continue their success through multiple rotations or weapons/offenses, and I’d like to see that from him. Again, I have zero doubts he can, just not going to put him above Peyton, Montana, Rodgers, etc. after three seasons of great play. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Asciimo said:

he's going to have the system QB andy reid amazing offense with tyreek kelce stigma until he doesnt. 

This. He's benefiting from being drafted by a team that were consistent playoff contenders with Alex Smith. Let's see what happens once his contract start clogging up the salary cap and he starts losing his weapons.

Edited by biggie.

56 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Now. He has as great as a supporting talent/coaching one could ask for, but regardless he arm talent, and instincts are just God-tier. He looks like Steve Young or Steve McNair on their best day every game. We'll see how he plays into his 30's. 

If the Niners  don’t have their own elite QB by the end of Mahomes career, you can have him for the last couple years of his career to return the favor for giving us Chiefs fans Montana (I kid, I kid). 

I did legit thoroughly enjoy the Montana years though. In only his two seasons he was responsible for like 90 percent of my favorite Chiefs moments before Mahomes.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Archimedes said:

If the Niners  don’t have their own elite QB by the end of Mahomes career, you can have him for the last couple years of his career to return the favor for giving us Chiefs fans Montana (I kid, I kid). 

I did legit thoroughly enjoy the Montana years though. In only his two seasons he was responsible for like 90 percent of my favorite Chiefs moments before Mahomes.

Before Mahomes, it felt like the best Chiefs QB's (outside of Dawson & Green) were former 49ers. Montana, Grbac, Smith. It was uncanny. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, 49ersfan said:

Before Mahomes, it felt like the best Chiefs QB's (outside of Dawson & Green) were former 49ers. Montana, Grbac, Smith. It was uncanny. 

Don't forget about the original Fitzmagic, Steve Deberg lol.

Oh and Bono.

• Like 2