Texans hire David Culley as HC, Tim Kelly as OC, Lovie Smith as DC

RaidersAreOne

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

The name is familiar, not sure if he's good. Wasn't he part of the LOB coaching staff?

He was the secondary coach during the LOB tenure. Got moved to DC for Dallas and was...average? Idk, Cowboys fans might need to speak on that one but he was rather popular in Seattle and even when he went to Dallas he was pretty well liked initially.

Just now, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

He was the secondary coach during the LOB tenure. Got moved to DC for Dallas and was...average? Idk, Cowboys fans might need to speak on that one but he was rather popular in Seattle and even when he went to Dallas he was pretty well liked initially.

So, a former Ravens coach and a former Seahawks coach. Houston gonna be your #3 team now? 😅

Just now, Chiefer said:

Over David Culley...

it feels like a few “yes men” have gotten hired this cycle. 

To be fair, EB was wise to turn down a PHI interview, and the HOU gig.    PHI apparently is hellbent on sticking it out with Wentz yet also keep Hurts (always a good way to start the year), and HOU is, well, HOU.   A HC should be making those calls.

Once NYJ went Saleh, JAX went with Urban Meyer, and LAC went with Staley (that was the unexpected hire this cycle), EB wasn't left with great choices.  

Right off the bat, if things don't work out, there are 4-5 good opportunities next year:

CIN 

DEN (Fangio's seat is uber-hot after a 6-10 and 5-11 start)

DAL (McCarthy survived because it's year 1 and Dak injury - doubt they'll be as kind next year if they don't make playoffs)

PHI 

CHI (ok maybe not so appealing, but Nagy/Pace are firmly on the hot seat)

Plus, you know there will be at least a couple of other teams that will make a move if things go sour (OAK?).    If he doesn't get hired next time, though....man, I dunno. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

To be fair, EB was wise to turn down a PHI interview, and the HOU gig.    PHI apparently is hellbent on sticking it out with Wentz yet also keep Hurts (always a good way to start the year), and HOU is, well, HOU.   A HC should be making those calls.

Once NYJ went Saleh, JAX went with Urban Meyer, and LAC went with Staley (that was the unexpected hire this cycle), EB wasn't left with great choices.  

Right off the bat, if things don't work out, there are 4-5 good opportunities next year:

CIN 

DEN (Fangio's seat is uber-hot after a 6-10 and 5-11 start)

DAL (McCarthy survived because it's year 1 and Dak injury - doubt they'll be as kind next year if they don't make playoffs)

PHI 

CHI (ok maybe not so appealing, but Nagy/Pace are firmly on the hot seat)

Plus, you know there will be at least a couple of other teams that will make a move if things go sour (OAK?).    If he doesn't get hired next time, though....man, I dunno. 

I mean look at all the guys who got hired, see a pattern?

I could see Elway ngaf though. Just like how the Broncos poached Neil Smith in the 90s.

A lot of coaches from the Reid tree have had success. It really doesn’t make sense, his past is rough, but it was all a long time ago. Even the most recent guys out of KC are succesful and have gotten teams to the playoffs repeatedly.

25 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

I mean look at all the guys who got hired, see a pattern?

I could see Elway ngaf though. Just like how the Broncos poached Neil Smith in the 90s.

A lot of coaches from the Reid tree have had success. It really doesn’t make sense, his past is rough, but it was all a long time ago. Even the most recent guys out of KC are succesful and have gotten teams to the playoffs repeatedly.

I think Nagy's spectacular failure after a hot 1st year might have ppl wondering how much OC's really do under Reid.  I don't buy it - but keep in mind Pederson called plays the last year he was in KC.   Nagy didn't.   Pederson's on the hot seat, but no one can deny his great initial run.   Nagy got a positive shine from Pederson's success.   Now Pederson's recent struggles and Nagy's absymal last 2 years in CHI, the pendulum may have swung to doubting if OC's do that much under Reid.

I think EB will thrive, but the above kinda makes sense to me.   I think he'll prove doubters wrong eventually, when he gets the chance.  He & Daboll should get theirs next year, provided they don't regress massively (seems unlikely in both cases).

3 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

He has a skeleton in his closet? I know everyone does, but is it bad? 

I mean yeah it's very bad. Long time ago, but still something that no team is going to be eager to have drudged up. Beyond that he had a bad tenure at CO when he was coaching there, he doesn't call plays for KC, nobody there gives him credit for Mahomes development and all the other stars on offense (Hill/Kelce) were developed before he was there. On top of all that, nearly everytime he is up for a job stories come out about him interviewing poorly. So he has a lot working against him. I think alot of people in the media and fans look at him as a no brainer because he's the guy currently OC'ing for the Chiefs, but most insiders just give Reid credit and quite frankly, Reid's offensive coaches have been far less successful than his defensive coaches. Pederson is the exception but he just got fired so even that's a mixed bag. He's not nearly the no brainer amongst executives that fans and the media have made him out to be.