Eagles listening to Wentz trade offer

Xenos

I want to be clear that I think Wentz was bad this year. And he was bad even with bad teammates at times.

I point out week 1 because they were still relatively healthy

Comparing this to last year really stands out because he won 9 games in 2019 and it could have been 11 without a few drops.  He was nowhere near that good, It was a regression.

But its also true that the entire team was a train wreck including an O-line that was just a horror show.

So I think people are overreacting to the decline Wentz the player overall even if he did decline this year.

As far as other NFCE fans killing Wentz for years, some of that is rivalry, some of that is that he's had flaws (not on the level of 2020, sure) and some of that is that Matts is really loud, 👀

6 hours ago, ninjapirate said:

Carson was 100% healthy last year he just sucked.

He also didn't get better when the team got healthier. I remember that was the biggest excuse.

I agree that a change of scenery might be what is needed to turn things around. We see it plenty across the league how that can fix things. Regardless it is clear it was a mess this year and the relationship in Philly is dead.

Now it is just all about figuring out what kind of compensation makes sense and this year does play a big role in that.

6 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

Bradford actually played VERY well for the Vikings in his first season.  Once the injury bug reared it's ugly head (as it always did with Bradford), things went downhill. 

Eh, he had a few good games. Dude shuts down under any sort of pressure and does not step up when asked to. He had no heart, and that was infuriating.

I know Cousins isn't great, and the Vikings thought he'd be the one getting us over the hump, but at least he cares. He has heart.

I'll always hate that Bradford trade. I would have rather us sign TJack or trade for Foles, tank the season and get Watson/Mahomes. We would've been just bad enough to not get Trubisky.

6 hours ago, lavar703 said:

He didn’t play well this year but he’s 28. You can’t discount his body of work over one bad season. He’s a fairly good QB when healthy. I can’t believe the eagles are actually getting rid of him but I’m happy he’ll be out of the division. 

He's regressed, he's injury prone, and he has a loser mentality. 

2 of those can be fixed with a change of scenery, but it's a broken relationship with the Eagles at this point.

He can be good elsewhere, but in Philadelphia he's watched most of his career playoff opportunities and a Superbowl go to Nick Foles and now spent this year on the pine in favor of a rookie some had pegged as a WR convert pre-Draft. A recurring theme during his time has been the offense picking up steam without him when they go into lulls with him. 

Could be him, could he cast, could be scheme, could be a mix of the 3. But when someone says a change of scenery is needed, it was coined for this very type of thing. 

There's a decent chance that his behavior last season (justified or not) ruined any hope he had of being a team leader on the Eagles anyway. So the likelihood of him bouncing back in Philadelphia just keeps getting lower and lower. It's honestly in every party's best interest to recoup what can be had for him and for him to get a fresh start elsewhere. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

I'm not saying I disagree with you... but talk like this from NFCE rivals now is really rich lol. Past three years all we heard about was how he had regressed and how 2017 was a fluke... now we are trading him and we are happy he is out of the divison. Not saying this relates to you specifically but I have seen it numerous times.

Understandable but I’ve been of the opinion he’s pretty good and was the best in the division until this past season. Sometimes things just don’t work out and you move on. We did the same thing with Kirk but we’ve been trying to replace him since. Having Hurts who has a chance to succeed in place certainly makes things a little bit easier. 

8 hours ago, lavar703 said:

He didn’t play well this year but he’s 28. You can’t discount his body of work over one bad season. He’s a fairly good QB when healthy. I can’t believe the eagles are actually getting rid of him but I’m happy he’ll be out of the division. 

...and he was awful and got benched because of it in his most recent season while having a $35M cap hit.

I understand Wentz had a couple good seasons prior/there's a body of work there, but he was legitimately awful this year. Thinking he just gets back on track when his most recent portion of his body of work was awful, while having that big of a financial commitment, is not valuable.

27 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

...and he was awful and got benched because of it in his most recent season while having a $35M cap hit.

I understand Wentz had a couple good seasons prior/there's a body of work there, but he was legitimately awful this year. Thinking he just gets back on track when his most recent portion of his body of work was awful, while having that big of a financial commitment, is not valuable.

Oh I agree. There’s definitely a lot of risk involved in keeping him but there’s a ton in moving on as well. It’s not that easy to just replace a good QB though. I mean, if the value is there and the relationship is fractured it certainly makes sense to move on but man is it tough to find another QB. 

4 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Oh I agree. There’s definitely a lot of risk involved in keeping him but there’s a ton in moving on as well. It’s not that easy to just replace a good QB though. I mean, if the value is there and the relationship is fractured it certainly makes sense to move on but man is it tough to find another QB. 

I agree, but I don't see why we think Wentz is a good QB right now, AND is still making $30-$35M per. That's a massive risk to take with a QB with that salary and as I said, not sure there's any reason to think he just gets back on track. 

Would much rather take the risk of sending several assets to move up in the draft for a QB if you have one valued or trade for someone with less financial risk ala Darnold and hope a change of scenery could help.

• Like 1

A team who is close to being a true SB contender who has the capital to take a risk on Wentz... why not? I can totally understand why people who worked with him might view the situation differently. So Bears and Colts make sense in that regard. That said, I wouldn't want to touch him with that contract and his performance regressing every year. 

Time will tell how it plays out but either way -- he out of Philly. Now the question for that organization is do they truly believe in Jalen Hurts. Seems they do enough to let Wentz walk out the door.

59 minutes ago, ACO said:

A team who is close to being a true SB contender who has the capital to take a risk on Wentz... why not? I can totally understand why people who worked with him might view the situation differently. So Bears and Colts make sense in that regard. That said, I wouldn't want to touch him with that contract and his performance regressing every year. 

Time will tell how it plays out but either way -- he out of Philly. Now the question for that organization is do they truly believe in Jalen Hurts. Seems they do enough to let Wentz walk out the door.

I'd see what Hurts can do next year. If he stinks the Eagles can always pick a QB in 2022.

1 hour ago, .Buzz said:

I agree, but I don't see why we think Wentz is a good QB right now, AND is still making $30-$35M per. That's a massive risk to take with a QB with that salary and as I said, not sure there's any reason to think he just gets back on track. 

Would much rather take the risk of sending several assets to move up in the draft for a QB if you have one valued or trade for someone with less financial risk ala Darnold and hope a change of scenery could help.

If you trade for him you get 4 years for under 100 mil, and an easy out after 2 years for 47 total. Which is pretty average QB money. If you trade for him you also believe he's above average. The financial aspect of it is blown out of proportions

3 minutes ago, T-rade said:

If you trade for him you get 4 years for under 100 mil, and an easy out after 2 years for 47 total. Which is pretty average QB money. If you trade for him you also believe he's above average. The financial aspect of it is blown out of proportions

Thinking the Wentz we just so is anything close to above average is dumb for any team to think imo.

He was legitimately bad. Like...bad, this season. 

I guess the Bears traded for a $20M per Foles last year out of desperation. Kept the same regime in place, so makes sense they'd do it again for another overpriced QB.

Just now, .Buzz said:

Thinking the Wentz we just so is anything close to above average is dumb for any team to think imo.

He was legitimately bad. Like...bad, this season. 

I guess the Bears traded for a $20M per Foles last year out of desperation. Kept the same regime in place, so makes sense they'd do it again.

He was, he was absolutely horrible. He was also a legitimate MVP candidate a few years ago, so he's somewhere between those outliers. If you trade for him you believe his true level is closer to 2017 than 2021. Time will tell which is true. But if that is your honest belief, it's not dumb to take on 24 mil a year. 

The money is not bad at all, unless you believe 2021 was his true level and the other years are history and unattainable

Just now, T-rade said:

He was, he was absolutely horrible. He was also a legitimate MVP candidate a few years ago, so he's somewhere between those outliers. If you trade for him you believe his true level is closer to 2017 than 2021. Time will tell which is true. But if that is your honest belief, it's not dumb to take on 24 mil a year. 

The money is not bad at all, unless you believe 2021 was his true level and the other years are history and unattainable

A QB being good a few seasons ago doesn't move the needle for me to trade serious assets/commit financially for the next couple years to. He was healthy this year and clearly there's something very wrong with him. 

I never "bet" on a guy who's had a historical regression to just "snap out of it" and figure it out with the issues that seem to be plagueing him. Maybe he'll beat the odds, but I'm not trading legit assets and taking on that burden.