Super Bowl Post Game Discussion

Webmaster

7 hours ago, Broncofan said:

That is an underrated game-changing event.   Tampa was completely willing to just burn clock.   Would have been 14-6 at the half, instead of 21-6.    

Reid compounded it IMO by going for 3 down 21-6.   Going down 12 instead of 15, the way the D was playing, was a huge error in game management.

It's kind of telling that when the KC O couldn't be a juggernaut, Reid played the TO game in the 2Q like they could be...and then on the very next drive in the Q, reverted to his pre-Mahomes days.   It was a brutal 1-2 punch of bad decision-making.

Again, it wasn't the difference in the end, but man, that made it so much easier for the Bucs to win the game. 

KC got outplayed in the trenches, they got outcoached, and even their ST's struggled.    It's amazing that anyone thinks the refs were the cause of this L.    I thought Tampa was a pick 'em this game, but it turns out they'd likely win 7-8x out of 10 with that OL.  This might have been the most extreme outcome of the 7-8x, but hard for anyone to legimately think the Chiefs would win but a small handful of games with their SB roster vs. Tampa's SB roster today.

Bill did exactly the same thing in the 2007 SB. Going for it on 4th downs trying to get the elite offense running, instead of adjusting to the fact it just wasn't happening that game. If he'd realised the dynamic of the game, he'd have kicked the FGs.

28 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Congrats Bucs!

KC probably will be back next year I think. They don't have much to worry about besides Buffalo or Baltimore. I could see them being early 2000's Patriots-lite in the 2020s.

Yeah they got unlucky with the OL. Wonder if they'll feel they need to resource that or just wait for it to get healthy

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

They were the #1 seed and got to the SB, so if they “coasted” the way you say then it worked. Unless you inexplicably think that they coasted in this game?

Riiiight, I’m sure everyone in KC is thinking “it worked” this morning...

They finished the season with seven straight wins - all one possession games by the end of it. 5 of those teams wouldn’t make the playoffs (granted teams like the Dolphins/Raiders aren’t exactly bad teams) and let’s be honest, KC could’ve probably put up 40 on all of them. That doesn’t happen in every game, even for the greatest offenses, but they routinely let their opponents stick around unnecessarily.

I think the coasting was a result of, whatever you’d like to call it - ego, complacency, hangover, confidence - and that expressed itself in this game by the lack of preparation and lack of adjustments made in the game. You see it early in games (last year too), KC sometimes comes out with a complete lack of urgency, only for their talent and greatness to come through as the game progresses. If they fixed that and had a killer mentality for 60 minutes, 19 games a year, they’d be a monstrosity. 

14 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Riiiight, I’m sure everyone in KC is thinking “it worked” this morning...

They finished the season with seven straight wins - all one possession games by the end of it. 5 of those teams wouldn’t make the playoffs (granted teams like the Dolphins/Raiders aren’t exactly bad teams) and let’s be honest, KC could’ve probably put up 40 on all of them. That doesn’t happen in every game, even for the greatest offenses, but they routinely let their opponents stick around unnecessarily.

I think the coasting was a result of, whatever you’d like to call it - ego, complacency, hangover, confidence - and that expressed itself in this game by the lack of preparation and lack of adjustments made in the game. You see it early in games (last year too), KC sometimes comes out with a complete lack of urgency, only for their talent and greatness to come through as the game progresses. If they fixed that and had a killer mentality for 60 minutes, 19 games a year, they’d be a monstrosity. 

Lol, why do people love to do this? They coasted in the regular season, then why didn’t that carry over to the Browns and Bills games which they by and large dominated? They didn’t lose yesterday because they coasted lol in the regular season. But hey I guess it gets boring saying the same obvious thing and so people feel the need to say something different that attaches to a narrative. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

Seen Brady play much better in post seasons tbh. I think the defense was the biggest was just as big a reason, if not bigger. 

Oh I definitely agree that defense was the the biggest reason for the Bucs winning. But scoring 30ppg over 4 playoff games is impressive nonetheless, as it has never happened before.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

Lol, why do people love to do this? They coasted in the regular season, then why didn’t that carry over to the Browns and Bills games which they by and large dominated? They didn’t lose yesterday because they coasted lol in the regular season. But hey I guess it gets boring saying the same obvious thing and so people feel the need to say something different that attaches to a narrative. 

And what narrative am I attaching my opinion to? What “same obvious thing” do “people keep saying”, that I’m evidently either bucking or going along with? Genuinely curious because really no part of that second bit made any sense at all. I guess you can’t have an opinion without being either a sheep that pushes a narrative or a sheep that’s just spitting hot takes for the sake of hot takes....

I didn’t say the Chiefs lost because they coasted in the regular season, but I forgive you for misunderstanding. KC plays fast & loose (especially early), which again, you can see in their playoff run last year or in instances throughout either season. Maybe they’re just an inconsistent team, that despite the inconsistency, usually shines through? Maybe? It’s possible. But I think they’re good, talented, and smart enough not to be. 

They handily beat both the Browns and Bills, no doubt, I won’t take anything away from those performances. I never said the Chiefs *always* coast, but I forgive you for misunderstanding. As soon as they played a seasoned coach with a veteran QB, not only was Reid/Bienemy/Spags thoroughly outcoached, but the entire offense failed to get in any rhythm whatsoever. They looked like the team that hasn’t been to a SB in years, instead of TB. Yet they’re talented enough and experienced enough where that shouldn’t be the case (not just in this game, but throughout the past two seasons). 

It rang of NE getting shell shocked vs NY, they had no answer for what the Giants were giving them defensively. And I’d say the same thing - that team was too arrogant for their own good, where they had such (understandable) confidence that they weren’t prepared to be “punched in the mouth”. 

I actually think people should have paid more attention to that week 12 match-up, especially from the Buc's defense POV. Because after they tried covering Hill 1-v-1 in the first quarter and went down 17-0, they adjusted really well and basically held the Chiefs in check enough to let their offense get them back into the game. Over the last 7 quarters the Bucs have gone 55-19 against the Chiefs.

There were also warning signs there for the Chiefs for a while. Brett Kollmann did a good video about it. Yes, KC's OL was bad but Mahomes has got this really bad habit of dropping WAY too far back and making his OLs job much harder. Once you're looking out for it you see it all the time, and he did it so much last night.

• Like 2

As a former LB I will ALWAYS be of the notion that we need a plus linebacker. 

I'm down with taking one with a premium pick. We dont have a 3 down LB on our roster imo. 
two promising Rookies in Barnes in Martin but theyre just JAGS as of now. 

White and David showed out yesterday.