What are you thinking about?

pwny

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

It absolutely does.  

Idk about you, but the interest rates on my auto loans have been (well) under 5%, and that’s out 75 months.

Over that same time, that same money in the market is earning a ton more than 5%.

It also allows for greater financial flexibility as your money isn’t tied up in a vehicle.

Congrats, but you paid more than you had to on the principal of the car to get that loan. So if you paid $30k purchase price on a well under 5% loan, they would have sold it to you for under $30k purchase cash up front.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Congrats, but you paid more than you had to on the principal of the car to get that loan. So if you paid $30k purchase price on a well under 5% loan, they would have sold it to you for under $30k purchase cash up front.

There are options other than dealer financing.

By and large they’re gonna make their money one way or another, that’s not really the point.  What you’re describing, say a few hundred bucks or so, isn’t a lot compared to 30k compounding at 7-10% over 5-6 years.

3 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

There are options other than dealer financing.

By and large they’re gonna make their money one way or another, that’s not really the point.  What you’re describing, say a few hundred bucks or so, isn’t a lot compared to 30k compounding at 7-10% over 5-6 years.

They make a good deal more money off you with the financing, which is why they try to keep that internal.

I just checked bank rates for car loans and they were better than I thought they'd be/way lower than market returns as long as your credit is very good. Then I checked the last time I bought a car (2014) and the average auto loan rate was 4.5% for new cars and higher from there. So historically it hasn't been a good investment to get leveraged like that, but I guess with rates low enough these days you could negotiate with a dealer like it's cash, take that offer to a bank to get the financing, and go from there.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

They make a good deal more money off you with the financing, which is why they try to keep that internal.

I just checked bank rates for car loans and they were better than I thought they'd be/way lower than market returns as long as your credit is very good. Then I checked the last time I bought a car (2014) and the average auto loan rate was 4.5% for new cars and higher from there. So historically it hasn't been a good investment to get leveraged like that, but I guess with rates low enough these days you could negotiate with a dealer like it's cash, take that offer to a bank to get the financing, and go from there.

Yeah credit score is definitely going to be a factor.

If you’ve got bad credit, you’re gonna get hosed on loans for sure.  That said, if you’ve got bad credit I question how much cash on hand you’ve got to drop on a car in the first place.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ty21 said:

How are 5G phone speeds, to anyone that’s made the jump? I feel like I’m willing to pay extra for it just so my stupid phone starts working at the beach. 

Isnt 5G free with all the main providers now? You just need a phone that does it. 

As for speed differences - it all depends on your area. Where I live there is a ton of 5g traffic, so its actually slower. I just ran test on 4g and 5g. 4g was 43mbs and 5G was 22mbs.  But other areas, like my work, its the exact opposite. The 5g smokes my 4g. 

S21 Ultra on Tmobile.

Edited by Matts4313

5 hours ago, Ty21 said:

How are 5G phone speeds, to anyone that’s made the jump? I feel like I’m willing to pay extra for it just so my stupid phone starts working at the beach. 

where I'm at, 5G is definitely faster. But unfortunately, there are a lot of places here that for some reason - I can't get it. The only places I have had it are at public places. As much as I like it, I'm not going to the dr's  office every time I want 5G :) 

7 hours ago, Ty21 said:

The slowest I've seen on 5G is 12/10. The fastest I've seen was about 325/100. Most low spots are usually about 22 down. I'd say average is about 100/30 around here.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, K9 said:

where I'm at, 5G is definitely faster. But unfortunately, there are a lot of places here that for some reason - I can't get it. The only places I have had it are at public places. As much as I like it, I'm not going to the dr's  office every time I want 5G :) 

The big problem with 5G is the range. You could get a few subdivisions with one LTE antenna. 5G would need 2-3 antennas per subdivision. There's speed standards, so they can do just one antenna here and there, they have to turn up a whole system at a time. Good for connectivity, bad for rollout.

• Like 1

If you pre-order/reserve a new car, how close to the MSRP do you get? Am I naive for thinking I can get this car for exactly the price the brand's official website said I could when I spec'd it out exactly the way I want?

EDIT: I should clarify, I am perfectly comfortable paying that price. I'm not looking to pay less, I just want to not pay more than that.

Edited by minutemancl

1 hour ago, minutemancl said:

If you pre-order/reserve a new car, how close to the MSRP do you get? Am I naive for thinking I can get this car for exactly the price the brand's official website said I could when I spec'd it out exactly the way I want?

EDIT: I should clarify, I am perfectly comfortable paying that price. I'm not looking to pay less, I just want to not pay more than that.

If it’s something that people want enough to preorder, you’re probably not taking anything off. You should work out the price before putting down a deposits though. 

23 hours ago, Ty21 said:

Huge improvement for me. Saw consistent download speeds of 40mbps from my phone hotspot to Xbox ... cable internet providers max out at about 10mbps here download 

peaked over 100mbps download, but didn’t sustain that 

Edited by Dome

21 hours ago, MrDrew said:

The big problem with 5G is the range. You could get a few subdivisions with one LTE antenna. 5G would need 2-3 antennas per subdivision. There's speed standards, so they can do just one antenna here and there, they have to turn up a whole system at a time. Good for connectivity, bad for rollout.

Yesss, definitely a range issue! Thank you for the info - this makes a lot more sense!

On 6/14/2021 at 1:38 PM, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

If you’re buying inexpensive cars…. maybe.  Probably not though.

Generally speaking it almost always makes more sense to finance.

I think you and I have talked about this in years past.  We have different views on money management, for sure.

The one factor not brought up by you or Rams is that typically people financing are buying much more expensive vehicles than people buying cash.  It's the "immediate pain" factor, as i'll call it.  I've never bought a car over 12k because i couldn't afford that with cash.  It's too painful to my bank account.  People making my income buy vehicles in the 25-40k range all the time.  I'm coming out way ahead of those folks because i'm investing that 13-27k difference.

Yes, i agree that mathematically your problem statement is logical.  And the math checks out, if vehicle purchase prices are the same.  I won't argue the math.  But people's behaviors don't always follow math.  

EDIT: sorry for digging up a Monday post.  Busy day yesterday.

• Like 2