What are you thinking about?

pwny

Driving my Daughter out to Grad school in Chicago at the end of August. She'll be there for 6 years so I want to make the trip special. Thinking of taking I-80 through MA and NY. Stopping at Niagara Falls and the Rock and Roll HOF in Clev. Is the Cleveland Zoo worth visiting? The Lincoln Park Zoo outside Chicago is highly rated. What other points of interest on the route should we stop and see?

1 hour ago, Shockwave said:

Driving my Daughter out to Grad school in Chicago at the end of August. She'll be there for 6 years so I want to make the trip special. Thinking of taking I-80 through MA and NY. Stopping at Niagara Falls and the Rock and Roll HOF in Clev. Is the Cleveland Zoo worth visiting? The Lincoln Park Zoo outside Chicago is highly rated. What other points of interest on the route should we stop and see?

Part of America I've never been to. Hope you guys figure it out and have a great time.

Several years ago, I financed $1000 for one year. I got about $10,000 for my trade in, and I was so broke at the time that I didn’t have the cash to pay the difference. I think I only ended up paying $30 or $40 in interest. I bought the car from my friend, and he said the banker wasn’t too happy to do such a small loan. 

8 hours ago, theJ said:

I was kind of thinking we were talking about a 15k car or something.  In which case 40% = 6k.  And you can definitely find nice enough 6k cars out there.

I drive around 60 miles a day 5 days a week. I want a RAV4 Hybrid but they are a bit out of my range at 30-35K.

I'm tired of getting killed in gas.

6 hours ago, twslhs20 said:

I drive around 60 miles a day 5 days a week. I want a RAV4 Hybrid but they are a bit out of my range at 30-35K.

All of the hybrid sedans will cost you a lot less. They'll get better mileage too

• Like 1

13 hours ago, twslhs20 said:

I've been there before.  For about 5 years, i was driving 130 miles round trip per day, 4 days/week.  Over a 20 mpg vehicle, you'll be saving about 1.2k/year.  Nothing to sneeze at.  

I'd find a nice used hybrid.  Save yourself the capital cost and the operating cost.  You're going to tank the value of the vehicle putting that many miles on it.

I drove a 2005 civic hybrid for 2 of those 5 years i mentioned above.  Cost me $2,000, saved a ton on gas, and the 50k miles i put on it didn't even put a dent on the blue book value 😂

7 hours ago, MrDrew said:

All of the hybrid sedans will cost you a lot less. They'll get better mileage too

I'm putting in my pre-order for the Ford Maverick hybrid pickup next week. 40 mpg city and starts at $20k.

Edited by minutemancl
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, theJ said:

I've been there before.  For about 5 years, i was driving 130 miles round trip per day, 4 days/week.  Over a 20 mpg vehicle, you'll be saving about 1.2k/year.  Nothing to sneeze at.  

I'd find a nice used hybrid.  Save yourself the capital cost and the operating cost.  You're going to tank the value of the vehicle putting that many miles on it.

I drove a 2005 civic hybrid for 2 of those 5 years i mentioned above.  Cost me $2,000, saved a ton on gas, and the 50k miles i put on it didn't even put a dent on the blue book value 😂

@twslhs20the car is only one element to this IMO. A 60 mile commute is a beast. Would you be able to move? Even if it's to a 15-20 mile commute, that takes a lot of the edge off and you'd have a few hundred bucks a month from gas savings that you could put into your housing expenses. 

You may not be able to, and I get that. Just want to find door number 3 if it's out there.

• Like 1