Bears sign Andy Dalton

beardown3231

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

I'm surprised the $ are so small, though. I saw a thing, when the signing first broke, that said $10 mil. Obviously, that was inaccurate, but $2.5 mil is tiny, by NFL standards. 

Like Mitch, I am not very good at football, so $2.5 million seems like a great deal of money.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

Signing Dalton is a "panic move"...of sorts. I'm not sure about Mariota being a better option than Dalton, but hey, it's in the ballpark. The other two guys are CLEARLY better options than Dalton, and Darnold may not be out the picture yet...but he probably is.

Pace is probably gambling on a rookie, long term. We'll see what happens. He's miscalculated EVERYTHING in, like, a bajillion different ways so far. And yeah, his drafting has been reckless, particularly last year. 

Why the HELL would they cut Mariota? That's just criminally insane. 

Because Carr is better and Mariota makes way too much money to be a backup and I guess there was little to no trade interest in him.

How many teams were offering Dalton a starting gig?

Who was Pace bidding against?

Feels like he did his usual thing of 'getting his guy' which he's talked about a lot. A 5 million cap number might have meant keeping Fuller. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Because Carr is better and Mariota makes way too much money to be a backup and I guess there was little to no trade interest in him.

What's Mariota's contract like? And...why is it onerous this season, but not last season? 

47 minutes ago, British said:
Who was Pace bidding against? 

Probably no one. It was a "I'm going to up the offer because we're going to consider you our starter" sort of deal. So yeah, kind of dumb, but something players can get behind. 

Just now, Heinz D. said:

What's Mariota's contract like? And...why is it onerous this season, but not last season? 

Probably no one. It was a "I'm going to up the offer because we're going to consider you our starter" sort of deal. So yeah, kind of dumb, but something players can get behind. 

That's incredibly dumb if so. Borderline sackable offence for a GM operating in a tight cap. I notice Bill B didn't overpay Cam for some spurious reason to do with his or the players ego. 

15 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Just over $10M and I'm not sure why...just the way it was structured I guess.  The good thing for Raiders is there's no cap hit if they release him.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, British said:

That's incredibly dumb if so. Borderline sackable offence for a GM operating in a tight cap. I notice Bill B didn't overpay Cam for some spurious reason to do with his or the players ego. 

We may never know the reason. But, it's such a pay bump from the Cowboys contract he had...I don't know of any other justification. Mike Glennon's $18 million contract was fishy, as well. 

10 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Just over $10M and I'm not sure why...just the way it was structured I guess.  The good thing for Raiders is there's no cap hit if they release him.

Sounds like Pace may trade Foles for him. Saves LVR a few mil for a back up and we can pay 3 back up QBs too much since we will be paying Foles still too. Almost gives us the cost of a franchise QB to remember what that is like.

DO IT!!!

2 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Sounds like Pace may trade Foles for him. Saves LVR a few mil for a back up and we can pay 3 back up QBs too much since we will be paying Foles still too. Almost gives us the cost of a franchise QB to remember what that is like.

DO IT!!!

While we’re at it, let’s send them a pick to facilitate things too.

2 hours ago, Sugashane said:

DO IT!!!

If Pace couldn't trade Fuller there is no way he is gonna be able to trade Foles.

I would like to point out that many Bears fans were advocating trading for Dalton around this time last year.  

I think his poor showing in Dallas and disappointment about not getting Watson or Wilson has really changed landscape and mood.   

I was NEVER in favor of Dalton, but it is not impossible that Bears may yet surprise people IF they upgrade LT.  

I am an eternal optimist in offseasons though.  

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I would like to point out that many Bears fans were advocating trading for Dalton around this time last year.  

I think his poor showing in Dallas and disappointment about not getting Watson or Wilson has really changed landscape and mood.   

I was NEVER in favor of Dalton, but it is not impossible that Bears may yet surprise people IF they upgrade LT.  

I am an eternal optimist in offseasons though.  

On paper, if the Bears can start hitting some plays to the mid and deep parts of the field, in theory, their offense should open up. We have been horrifically incapable on offense largely because defenses have only needed to defend within 10 yards of the LOS. If defenses have to respect us beyond there, we should have more success running the ball and the plays that we do run short should be completed more often and go for more yards.

Should.

This article from 2018 suggests Dalton grades favorably on deep and outside passes: https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/5/31/17411014/andy-dalton-among-nfls-most-accurate-quarterbacks-on-certain-throws

And when you compare Dalton to Foles and Trubisky, as this article does,

https://beargoggleson.com/2021/03/18/andy-dalton-advanced-stats-deep-passing/

Though Mitch looks "better", I believe Dalton will lead the Bears to greater offensive success this year simply because defenses will have to defend the entire field.

DISCLAIMER: it appears these images are from PFF, which I don't have access to, and I don't know why they have been cropped. Someone else with PFF access may wish to post the complete data.

DALTON:

https%3A%2F%2Fcharts-cdn-a.nextgenstats.nfl.com%2Fstatic-charts%2F900%2Fqb-grid-chart_DAL659900_2020-REG-all_1609781204934.jpeg

TRUBISKY:

https%3A%2F%2Fcharts-cdn-c.nextgenstats.nfl.com%2Fstatic-charts%2F900%2Fqb-grid-chart_TRU215336_2020-REG-all_1609781265941.jpeg

FOLES:

https%3A%2F%2Fcharts-cdn-b.nextgenstats.nfl.com%2Fstatic-charts%2F900%2Fqb-grid-chart_FOL058566_2020-REG-all_1609781307583.jpeg

Dalton also is smarter with the football, as shown in this graph comparing "Big Time Throws" and "Turnover Worthy Plays"

I4mEZupl.png

Edited by chisoxguy7
Clarity