Bears sign Andy Dalton

beardown3231

27 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Lance makes a ton of sense for Atlanta to me because he has huge upside but there wouldn’t be any real pressure to get him on the field too soon. Ideal situation for him.

The media has made it seem like Fields will be the QB to fall, and since he’s my QB2 in this draft I’d be thrilled if that were the case. 

It's possible but I don't believe the reports that 4 QBs will be taken in the top 10, especially Lance, who to me it'd be crazy for any team to risk a pick that high on a kid who has barely played college football and with no recent tape on him to go by.  That's a lot of risk.

Speaking of Atlanta, didn't they just restructure Ryan's deal and essentially kicked that dead cap can further down the road?  Seems to me like they are going to try and build around the current offense over there.  Imagine they added Kyle Pitts to that offense. 😱

1 minute ago, topwop1 said:

It's possible but I don't believe the reports that 4 QBs will be taken in the top 10, especially Lance, who to me it'd be crazy for any team to risk a pick that high on a kid who has barely played college football and with no recent tape on him to go by.  That's a lot of risk.

Speaking of Atlanta, didn't they just restructure Ryan's deal and essentially kicked that dead cap can further down the road?  Seems to me like they are going to try and build around the current offense over there.  Imagine they added Kyle Pitts to that offense. 😱

yeah they did. lowered his cap hit from like, 41 to 22 - but i feel like i read it raised a future cap number to like, 48M (could be ~only~ 40, don't totally remember)

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

I think it is a fallacy that QBs get better riding pine.   It has happened and there are prime examples, but I think it is more correllation than causation.

Guys that rode pine for a year tell you it helped them, guys that started from day 1 said they would do it no other way.  An example is not conclusive evidence.  

I think you look at learning anything.  How do you learn something best? How would you choose to learn a skill?    

I think it is proven across industries and teaching that you best get better at something by doing it along with good instruction in real time.   You do or can get better, by just watching someone else do something - but it is not as good as above.

There is the X factor of early failure causing lasting bad habits and loss of confidence.   But I think that is were the good instruction comes in.  

I think it also beyond stupid to bring in a young QB with an awful O line.   That is a fast way to create bad habits that may never go away.   You have number 1 draft pick?  Go spend on OL in FA.    Or you likely just wasted it.

If you have a crappy golf coach and your swing is jacked, doing it doesn't get you better.   You get worse. 

I think this is true for all positions.   Players have basically 2 weeks of camp to learn and develop with live reps.   

The rest (in season) is mainly glorified walk thrus or watching.  NFL needs a farm system aside from CFB.  It would increase depth and quality of play exponentially. 

Why do so many young QBs fail?   Because they are drafted to bad teams with not great coaches and they develop bad habits and so on.    Not because they played in first year.

Now they go to team 2 as a back up.   They aren't getting reps and they never recover.   It is often a self fulfilling prophecy or a matter of repeating same errors again and again.

In a situation like Love or Rodgers behind Favre they get years of training camp and pre-season and in season watching and coaching.   And they are not on an awful team.   So they can hit the ground running when they do get in game.

Mahomes sat for a year, but then he played on a loaded team.  Not an awful one.   Watson had a good team early in Houston as well - plus Watson was a 4 year starter.  That helps too.

We are going to agree to disagree on that riding the pine stuff.  No one is going to convince me that sitting, watching and learning for a few games doesn't increase the odds of long term success.

Sure there are kids that come out and are pro-ready.  I feel like for every one of those types, there are 10 to 20 guys who would have been better off had they watched an entire season and gone through two off-seasons before taking a snap.

You mentioned Watson and Mahomes.  I thought Mahomes would be best served if he sat and watched Smith for a year.  I don't think he made a year due to an injury to Smith.  Watson that year, I thought was the best QB in the draft and a can't miss prospect because of what you mentioned.  Multiple year starter and more importantly, winner.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I thought Mahomes would be best served if he sat and watched Smith for a year.  I don't think he made a year due to an injury to Smith.  

Mahomes only played in the last game of the season his rookie year, since the chiefs were already locked into their seeding

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

We are going to agree to disagree on that riding the pine stuff.  No one is going to convince me that sitting, watching and learning for a few games doesn't increase the odds of long term success.

I think it does help. That's pretty clear. The jump from college to the pros is substantial. Some kids NEED to sit though, and others don't. 

17 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

It was clear when they signed him that he will be the starter..at least to start off the season.  Depends what they do to add competition behind him with maybe a rookie, but I surely don't think Foles is any threat to take his job.

1 minute ago, topwop1 said:

It was clear when they signed him that he will be the starter..at least to start off the season.  Depends what they do to add competition behind him with maybe a rookie, but I surely don't think Foles is any threat to take his job.

It's a richard move to tell a FA he is the starter when he has other options and that isn't your real plan.   Yes, they did that to Glennon.  

So either Pace is a total richard who has just crushed all his credibility with FAs going forward or Dalton is the main plan for 2021.

It doesn't take much to tell someone truth or leave it open ended.  You are still paying them what you are paying them.

Just now, dll2000 said:

It's a richard move to tell a FA he is the starter when he has other options and that isn't your real plan.   Yes, they did that to Glennon.  - Scratch that.  They started Glennon.  

So either Pace is a total richard who has just crushed all his credibility with FAs going forward or Dalton is the main plan for 2021.

It doesn't take much to tell someone truth or leave it open ended.  You are still paying them what you are paying them.

3 minutes ago, British said:

That year they had the #3 pick.

And maybe they've learned from that mistake. 

All signs point to Dalton being the 2021 Bears QB. 

And Mike Glennon did start.  Stated plan was for MT to sit whole year.   Just Glennon was so awful they yanked him.