Giants sign WR Kenny Golladay (4 years, $72M)

ACO

Marvin Jones 2018-2020: 268 targets 173 receptions 2265 yards 13.1 per catch 23 TDs 8.5 yards per target

Kenny Golladay 2018-2020 267 targets 155 receptions 2591 yards 16.7 per catch 17 TDs 9.7 yards per target

• You can say Golladay was better, but triple the cap hit better?
  • Golladay is 28 and Jones is 31, so that's a factor, but 11-12 million more a year?

FYI, that Golladay 2019 standout season was pretty close to Marvin Jones' 2017 season

• 2019 Golladay  116 targets 65 catches 1190 yards 18.3 per catch 11 TDs 10.3 yards per target
  • 2017 Jones 107 targets 61 catches 1101 yards 18.0 per catch 9 TDs 10.3 yards per target

Even Golden Tate had a 1331 yard 4 TD 13.4 per catch 9.2 ypc season in 2014 with Stafford feeding him the ball. Was he huge on the Giants?

Stafford does feed his WRs pretty often.

• Tate ypg on Detroit: 66.8
  • Jones ypg on Detroit: 62.3
  • Golladay ypg on Detroit: 65.3
  • Megatron ypg on 86.1

Note: Only Golladay had a rookie year on Detroit so that can affect the numbers a bit.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, notthatbluestuff said:

Does Jones make the leap this year? 

I'm hoping and praying we see a Josh Allen like leap this year for DJ. He's got the supporting cast now, so no more excuses. The OL is still kind of a work in progress, but they ended the season much better than they started, and they are absurdly young. 

12 minutes ago, GOGRIESE said:

So in a year where teams aren't paying for WRs and they are taking short term deals to reenter the market next year...the Giants give Golladay exactly what he wants. 

The Giants offered him his choice of a 1 year deal or multi year deal. He obviously chose the latter. 

I will say that, for all of these bigger name WRs who are playing on 1 year deals this coming year, if they show out and the salary cap explodes like it should, they are going to sign bigger contracts than Kenny G just got. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

1 year deals this coming year, if they show out and the salary cap explodes like it should, they are going to sign bigger contracts than Kenny G just got. 

This is the silver lining here. If KG plays up to his potential, he would have made himself more money than this next year. But how much more really? Considering the % of the cap this takes up, they are paying up for KG in today's WR market. 

That being said, Giants fans shouldn't really care about the financials IMO. You got yourself what is a low-end WR1 in my book. You have to add talent to this offense to see whether or not Daniel Jones is in your long term plans. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

The Giants offered him his choice of a 1 year deal or multi year deal. He obviously chose the latter. 

I will say that, for all of these bigger name WRs who are playing on 1 year deals this coming year, if they show out and the salary cap explodes like it should, they are going to sign bigger contracts than Kenny G just got. 

This just looks like a case of bidding against themselves. Bears offer was 1 year for 11-12 million. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SaveOurSonics said:

This is the silver lining here. If KG plays up to his potential, he would have made himself more money than this next year. But how much more really? Considering the % of the cap this takes up, they are paying up for KG in today's WR market. 

That being said, Giants fans shouldn't really care about the financials IMO. You got yourself what is a low-end WR1 in my book. You have to add talent to this offense to see whether or not Daniel Jones is in your long term plans. 

This.

Good move by NYG. Throw as many resources around Jones as possible and either he sinks or swims this year.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SaveOurSonics said:

I agree about the financials. What constitutes a 'low end #1' to you? I think the consensus is he is just inside the top-16 of all receivers. 

30 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

There is a reason KG didn’t want a 1 yr deal. He can’t commit to having a great season and doesn’t want to chance lowering his value again.

As a Lions fan, I’m glad we didn’t tag him or give him the money he wanted. I’m also thrilled another team did and we should get a great comp pick back. 

6 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

I agree about the financials. What constitutes a 'low end #1' to you? I think the consensus is he is just inside the top-16 of all receivers. 

Before I do this, let me start by saying that the league does not have 32 #1 WRs, if that's what you're hinting at. WRs I'd personally have over KG (in no order): 

Tyreek, Davante, Julio, DK, AJB, Nuk, Keenan Allen, DJ Moore, McLaurin, ACooper, Jefferson, Theilen, ARob, Diggs. 

And you could argue other guys like Ridley, Aiyuk, Chark, Woods, etc. (though I have Kenny above all of them). 

So I would put Kenny at #16, which I think is essentially the cut-off for the true #1's of the league. Low end #1.