Round 1: Pick #29; Eric Stokes, CB, Georgia

Packerraymond

I absolutely love this pick.  Was a tad heartbroken when Newsome went off the board just before us but this is great consolation.  Please, please football gods, let us be done spending high picks on the secondary for awhile.  We've had some serious strikeouts lately.  Stokes has the look of a good player, I am optimistic about that

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, SSG said:

Don't love it.  He potentially fixes a need but I'm not sure he became a first round pick caliber prospect until he ran in gym shorts.  He's one of the grabbier CBs in the draft and doesn't play at a speed that would suggest that he's the fastest CB in the draft.  

He was part of a secondary that Alabama absolutely humiliated this year.   In that game he got torched for a TD and had a costly PI in the end zone that directly resulted in a TD.  

I can't help but laugh at the Kevin King comparison given how completely embarrassing Kevin King was the last time we seen him on the field. If that's the expectation then we'll be draft another CB early really, really soon. 

Hard to complain though after the draft we had last year.  Stokes might actually improve the team for 2021.

Mac Jones avoided throwing at him most the night and really he gave up a damn good touchdown catch to the Heisman winner. Alabama scored at will on everyone last year. Georgia was one of the only games where it was still a fight at halftime!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheGreatZepp said:

Mac Jones avoided throwing at him most the night and really he gave up a damn good touchdown catch to the Heisman winner. Alabama scored at will on everyone last year. Georgia was one of the only games where it was still a fight at halftime!

Yeah I just watched his Bama tape and he most definitely did not get "torched" lol It was a contested jump ball in the redzone with not too bad of coverage. 

14 minutes ago, cannondale said:

After a quick review of the value board I have, crossing off all the names and trying to calculate the 2nd Round - I think picking a CB was the right choice

Is Stokes even the best CB from Georgia's team? His youtube clips don't show enough. Take it with a grain of salt maybe, but Tony Pauline has his teammate Tyson Campbell ranked higher on his board (#43) than Stokes (#47). I wonder why that is? 

22 minutes ago, DWhitehurst said:

Is Stokes even the best CB from Georgia's team? His youtube clips don't show enough. Take it with a grain of salt maybe, but Tony Pauline has his teammate Tyson Campbell ranked higher on his board (#43) than Stokes (#47). I wonder why that is? 

Who cares about Tony Pauline? Besides, if you have 2 guys ranked 4 spots apart it's pretty much a 1a/1b situation.

8 minutes ago, VonKarman said:

Who cares about Tony Pauline? Besides, if you have 2 guys ranked 4 spots apart it's pretty much a 1a/1b situation.

Ok. Disregard Pauline. Let me ask it this way: What makes Stokes a better prospect than Campbell in your mind? I have no idea which is and why. Just trying to gain insight.

I love this pick. Fast, explosive, long, athletic. Scotty Miller ain't getting by him 

CB was a pressing need, and Gute has a good track record with the secondary so far. i really hope we can stop having to draft DBs early now lol 

This guy stopped a lot of good WRs in college. he has legitimate shutdown CB potential. the duo of Stokes and Alexander in the "star" role, that nickel slot CB role could be the best in the league 

give me a few selections of OL/DL/WR/ILB tomorrow please 

1 hour ago, DWhitehurst said:

I'm not an expert, but IMO there isn't much that separates this tier of CB's. Kind of a pick your flavor type of thing. Gute took the long (33" arms), fast (4.3) mega athlete who has zero injury concerns and a willing tackler. Faced top notch competition all year. If you want to nit pick I think you'll drive yourself nuts. He got away with some bad footwork in college due to his speed, but that can be coached. Maybe Newsome was in a slightly higher tier, but there are concerns there too (and he wasn't available).

Gute said if Stokes would have been off the board, he probably trades back, so that tells you about the value he had on him vs players that are left.

One thing is pretty certain. This tier of CB will be long gone by #62. That's my main point. And this whole tier is a wait and see what happens in camp. The #43 and #47 ranking is negligible.

Edited by cannondale
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Green19 said:

The issue is WR isn’t a premier position... every draft we discuss this. Until we get a GM that isn’t from the Ron wolf tree/Ted Thompson tree they aren’t taking RB, WR, TE, IOL, LB in the first.

the most interesting pick is Savage as traditionally S would also be in that group too.

Fact is 2nd round is where those picks will come. So until Brian steps down or gets fired... WR is unlikely in the first. Tomorrow might be the day they get a guy.

You might see LB, if it's the right guy, but it's definitely the lowest priority on defense.

5 hours ago, cannondale said:

Have you not seen what an orbit motion looks like on a 50" tv in a parents basement playing Madden ??

The Packers had the #1 offense scoring 31.8 points a game. What's the magic number if that's not good enough ? 32.1 ?? 32.8 ??

One would assume the magic number is 12.