Round 1: Pick #29; Eric Stokes, CB, Georgia

Packerraymond

2 hours ago, squire12 said:

Both can and have played T in 2020.  

yes, I am comfortable with Turner at either T position....LT for a few games if needed, RT for extended time (full season)

sorry to defy you😉

Both can and have, but neither are. Already taking a hit with Linsley gone. And depth takes a huge hit throughout. I 100% take an OT over WR at #62

Edited by cannondale
  • Like 3

Jackson played a bunch of boundary injury-replacement snaps.  But a vast number of inside snaps were divided among Redmond, Sullivan, Greene, Black, and Scott. 

Could adding Stokes directly or indirectly enable replacement of some of those inside snaps this rookie season?   Or is he strictly a boundary guy who'll only replace boundary snaps of Jackson, Hollman, King, and Jaire?  

Put differently, if Stokes impresses quickly, do you see the effective usage of all three of Stokes, Jaire, and King on the field at the same time?  If so, only in dime, or might there be a way to use all three in nickle?  

I'm not a defensive designer.  But at a simplistic level, I'd like to think that Stokes might quickly emerge as a better football player than Redmond, or Sullivan too.  And that perhaps creative coaching would be able to utilize all three of Jaire, King, and Stokes. 

Perhaps not only this year, but beyond?  If Stokes is good, and if King plays well without commanding a knockout contract, could you keep all three guys together into 2022 and beyond?  Field a knockout secondary... and free up draft picks 1-2-3 for other positions?  

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Sam isn't a bad comp. Stokes is a little longer, and more 10 yard explosive. I would say long speed is about the same, Shields was freaky fast at top speed. Definitely a more fluid player than Stokes. 

Stokes is very twitchy. 

5 minutes ago, deathstar said:

Stokes is very twitchy. 

explosive twitchy yes, COD twitchy, not really

a
Measurable Measurement %tile
Height 6' 0⅝"* 70
Weight 194 lbs* 56
Wingspan 78"* 85
Arm Length 32¾"* 89
Hand Size 9⅛"* 48
10 Yard Split 1.5s* 85
20 Yard Split 2.56s* 67
40 Yard Dash 4.31s* 97
Vertical Jump 38½"* 80
Broad Jump 128"* 85
3-Cone Drill 6.96s* 43
20 Yard Shuttle 4.36s* 11
Bench Press 14 reps* 44

* Measurement from source other than the NFL Combine

Edited by squire12

10 hours ago, Green19 said:

The issue is WR isn’t a premier position... every draft we discuss this. Until we get a GM that isn’t from the Ron wolf tree/Ted Thompson tree they aren’t taking RB, WR, TE, IOL, LB in the first.

the most interesting pick is Savage as traditionally S would also be in that group too.

Fact is 2nd round is where those picks will come. So until Brian steps down or gets fired... WR is unlikely in the first. Tomorrow might be the day they get a guy.

I think you can throw the Savage pick out as technically it was our second pick in the draft.

3 hours ago, squire12 said:

Both can and have played T in 2020.  

yes, I am comfortable with Turner at either T position....LT for a few games if needed, RT for extended time (full season)

sorry to defy you😉

No offense taken. However, should your confidence be misplaced, there will be no offense this entire season.

Edited by HyponGrey

2 hours ago, Mr Bad Example said:

You can't expect a QB to win when he's throwing to low- (or un-) drafted garbage like Driver, Nelson, Jennings, Adams, Cobb, Finley, or Tonyan. 

Unless they're Tom Brady and their top WR is Branch or Edelman. 

14 minutes ago, HyponGrey said:

No offense taken. However, should your confidence be misplaced, there will be no offense this entire season.

Why would Turner and/or Jenkins playing OT lead to a drastic drop-off in offensive production relative to the 2020 offense?