Round 1: Pick #29; Eric Stokes, CB, Georgia

Packerraymond

Don't know a ton about the player but with how the board fell I can't complain about taking a CB. Like the arm length and speed. Gives us someone if and possibly when we we lose King and in the upcoming year upgrades our slot position. Not sure if it is smarter to just leave Alexander where he is but I would love to see him get moved around more and use his speed and quickness in the slot at times. If Stokes ends up starting year one, hopefully we can move Sullivan around more and maybe he will keep a guy like Redmond off the field. 

I know he was gone a couple picks earlier than we picked and not a huge fan of taking a WR super early but do wonder if we still draft Stokes if Bateman is there when we pick. I do get a little bit of a Justin Jefferson vibe from him and see some Greg Jennings in him. I love how well he catches with his hands and his YAC. I think he will be a really good pro even though we will see if Lamar Jackson can take advantage of that. I'd assume if the Packers were that high on him they probably would have tried to move up a few spots. 

Edited by Victor1124

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

And those numbers, in the SEC, with a 4.29 40, got him a 72.5 grade and a 4th round draft grade. Hence why PFF is just a tool and nothing more. Some of their stuff seems adjusted just to spark clicks and debate.

PFF is a tool that you need to interpret correctly. The grade is the least interesting part they have as it does not take into account level of competion (that is something that they even openly admit). A CB from Georgia is going to have a disadvantage against a guy from Alabama because he's facing the Alabama WRs instead of Georgia's for example.

The 2020 Alabama game doesn’t show much on Stokes, Mac Jones just doesn’t even look his way,  it appeared that Alabama intentionally game planned to avoid him and the over 400 yards I think supports it, they saw vulnerabilities in the Georgia secondary they could continually pick at and Mac Jones would just stare down the other side of the field.

My favorite part about this pick is that Stokes is battle tested in the SEC playing against the best talent the country has to offer. It just proves that he’s got the chops to play in the NFL. 

on top of all his measurements, Kirby Smart said that he is very cerebral and knows the game from that stand point which is good to hear.

another interesting point is that he was only a 3 star prospect  coming out of high school so clearly he was developed while at Georgia and probably is just scratching the surface of his abilities.  In high school he was good, in college he was better, I like that trajectory so far. 

Edited by gopackgo972

3 minutes ago, gopackgo972 said:

My favorite part about this pick is that Stokes is battle tested in the SEC playing against the best talent the country has to offer. It just proves that he’s got the chops to play in the NFL. 

on top of all his measurements, Kirby Smart said that he is very cerebral and knows the game from that stand point which is good to hear.

another interesting point is that he was only a 3 star prospect  coming out of high school so clearly he was developed while at Georgia and probably is just scratching the surface of his abilities.  In high school he was good, in college he was better, I like that trajectory so far. 

In high school he was a running back idolizing Reggie Bush. However, most players get their first real technical development in college, most recruits are on a different athletic tier than their peers in high school and rely on that.

He has what can’t be taught though, speed and as someone who focused more on strength than speed in H.S. and college, speed doesn’t always win but it wins the vast majority of the time

Great video. I really don't like the fact struggles with movement due to poor footwork and lack of tackling.

Footwork can be coached with repetition but tackling is a mindset and if the player is unwilling then it will eventually become a problem.

The Packers front office has never put a high value on tackling. We always draft corners who can't tackle. They just hope the player develops the tackling mindset in the NFL.

Love the speed, his athleticism and his long arms. Very toolsy and has shown ability to show year on year improvement. This is what we're banking on.

2 minutes ago, Chili said:

Great video. I really don't like the fact struggles with movement due to poor footwork and lack of tackling.

Footwork can be coached with repetition but tackling is a mindset and if the player is unwilling then it will eventually become a problem.

The Packers front office has never put a high value on tackling. We always draft corners who can't tackle. They just hope the player develops the tackling mindset in the NFL.

Love the speed, his athleticism and his long arms. Very toolsy and has shown ability to show year on year improvement. This is what we're banking on.

How does a Front Office even develop a tackle-indifferent posture?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chili said:

Jaire Alexander would like a word 

Just now, incognito_man said:

I dunno..."Eric Stokes" just sounds like a bust CB pick

I know @Outpost31 has a feel for these things, too - so I'm curious

It's obviously not even CLOSE to as great a name as Darnell Savage, so expectations are already significantly lowered, but just have a bad feeling about this name...

Tredavious White was selected 27th overall.

A DB went first in the second round. 

That defensive back was Kevin King.

The Jaguars drafted a defensive back first in the second round.

Stokes is going to be elite. 

Legion of Boom has been taken. 

Can't wait to hear the nickname for our secondary.

They're not known for their hitting, but their elite speed and ball skills.

So I'm thinking Savage, Amos, Alexander, King, Sullivan, Stokes. 

That's six.

Pick Six.