Round 1: Pick #29; Eric Stokes, CB, Georgia

Packerraymond

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I am thinking final product Shields and Stokes.  Not as prospects. 

Shields had elite ball skills being a former WR.

What has me most excited about this pick, is the idea I saw floated that Jaire could/will start playing a more impactful role in the defense.  

• Like 1

A lot of people seem to be using the Shields comp, but I'm not sure I see it.  I get the size/speed comparison, but Shields was surprisingly pro ready in man coming out of college.  He could mirror NFL receivers from day one and was much better in terms of aggression and anticipation.  Stokes is bigger and stronger than Shields, and he's got a bit more of that twitchy power to him that Jaire has, but I'd be wary putting him outside in man and just letting him play the way Shields did in 2010.  

11 hours ago, LacyIsGood said:

What has me most excited about this pick, is the idea I saw floated that Jaire could/will start playing a more impactful role in the defense.  

Could start playing a more impactful role?  He's already the best CB in the league.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, MrBobGray said:

A lot of people seem to be using the Shields comp, but I'm not sure I see it.  I get the size/speed comparison, but Shields was surprisingly pro ready in man coming out of college.  He could mirror NFL receivers from day one and was much better in terms of aggression and anticipation.  Stokes is bigger and stronger than Shields, and he's got a bit more of that twitchy power to him that Jaire has, but I'd be wary putting him outside in man and just letting him play the way Shields did in 2010.  

Shields was so good in 2010. A huge reason why our defense stepped up that season.

Just now, deathstar said:

Shields was so good in 2010. A huge reason why our defense stepped up that season.

I always remember this story or quote or whatever that said Shields was basically just thrown into the game in week one against the Eagles that year because the Packers were worried about the Eagles speed on offense and he basically just never let the opportunity pass. 

My fondest memory of Sam Shields was his interception against Dallas when Flynn and the Packers came back to beat the Cowboys. 

Makeup speed makes for the most fun.

Also, completely off topic, but if Clay Matthews turned half of those whiffed sacks into sacks throughout his career, he is easily a Hall of Fame player. 

14 hours ago, MrBobGray said:

So, who are you seeing if Stokes hits? 

Pretty sure Savage has been tapped to play that STAR role. On the other hand, are we going to see more zone? Sure, Jean-Charles is better in man-coverage, but do we see more zone to take advantage of the speed we have in the secondary.

I think so and I’m convinced that we’ve intentionally gone for speed guys as a result.

3 hours ago, Joe said:

Pretty sure Savage has been tapped to play that STAR role. On the other hand, are we going to see more zone? Sure, Jean-Charles is better in man-coverage, but do we see more zone to take advantage of the speed we have in the secondary.

I think so and I’m convinced that we’ve intentionally gone for speed guys as a result.

I think Barry got the job because he wants less zone, not more.

Straight line speed, to me, means man to man.  Quickness means zone.

No doubt we will play both, but I'll be surprised if we continue playing more zone than man.

9 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

So, who are you seeing if Stokes hits? 

To be clear Shields isn't the worst comp if Stokes can get better at reading routes/route combos rather than just trying to make it up in trail all the time.  My best case comp if everything hits is Gilmore probably?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I think Barry got the job because he wants less zone, not more.

Straight line speed, to me, means man to man.  Quickness means zone.

No doubt we will play both, but I'll be surprised if we continue playing more zone than man.

Think we will emphasize match coverage more:

https://www.patspulpit.com/2019/3/4/18234062/film-room-pattern-match-zone-rip-liz-cover-3-match-mable-nick-saban-cleveland-browns

• Like 1