2021 Jets Season: Misc. Talk

Bianconero

37 minutes ago, NYJets4716 said:

The Jets literally said expectations this season was player development, not playoffs. They warned us. They knew they weren't going to win this season, they are trying to develop a core for a future. 

People want to attack Douglas. But Douglas and Saleh have a plan and they are sticking to it. They are building for the future and want sustain success. It will take a little bit of time, but I think we are doing it right. We'll see if it works out or not in the future. 

I understand the plan, but it's very risky even for developing. Example; If we only finish 1 or 2 wins and don't look competitive this season and we only win 4 games next season, are we still keeping Saleh? Nas & Sherwood are making one of the most difficult transitions not too many others have successfully made, if they struggle all year, are they going to get another shot to start next year? or will those positions look like needs and get benched? 

I really like Saleh & JD, but there are just some things I was hoping to see done a little differently. We all want the same result for the young players, it's just how to get there is the debate. We will see how this goes but I'm mentally on next offseason hoping we some how pull off 5 wins. 

35 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

I understand the plan, but it's very risky even for developing. Example; If we only finish 1 or 2 wins and don't look competitive this season and we only win 4 games next season, are we still keeping Saleh? Nas & Sherwood are making one of the most difficult transitions not too many others have successfully made, if they struggle all year, are they going to get another shot to start next year? or will those positions look like needs and get benched? 

I really like Saleh & JD, but there are just some things I was hoping to see done a little differently. We all want the same result for the young players, it's just how to get there is the debate. We will see how this goes but I'm mentally on next offseason hoping we some how pull off 5 wins. 

I think you got the nail on the head here. I mean, look at Sam. Guy got like 2 season if you factor in times missed due to injuries that happened because the team was so bad that he got killed.

You already see people calling Wilson a bust(too soon imo). What is it going to look like this off-season if Sam ends up looking decent in Carolina and Wilson struggles all year? Douglas would most certainly be on the instant hot seat and Saleh is his pick.

The whole " our players are going to suck so they can learn by fire" plan really only works when it is a player or two because the rest of the team can help pick up the slack.

Don't forget the side effect of being way less desirable for FAs and making us a less attractive spot for our own good players to re-sign. Good players don't want to play for bad teams.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, drew39k said:

I think you got the nail on the head here. I mean, look at Sam. Guy got like 2 season if you factor in times missed due to injuries that happened because the team was so bad that he got killed.

You already see people calling Wilson a bust(too soon imo). What is it going to look like this off-season if Sam ends up looking decent in Carolina and Wilson struggles all year? Douglas would most certainly be on the instant hot seat and Saleh is his pick.

The whole " our players are going to suck so they can learn by fire" plan really only works when it is a player or two because the rest of the team can help pick up the slack.

Don't forget the side effect of being way less desirable for FAs and making us a less attractive spot for our own good players to re-sign. Good players don't want to play for bad teams.

Exactly. 

I'm not sure if the window for opportunity for Saleh & JD are as wide as many people think it is. They can all agree for a long-term plan until the Johnsons are tired of it and the media continues bashing them. We have a rookie coaching staff and basically a rookie team with injuries. For this to work, I need at least 4 wins and some close games against one of the top teams on the schedule. 

The most important thing is looking like a team heading in the right direction this year. I believe things will get better when Crowder and J.Davis return. I don't think we're ever going to play Mims seriously. I wish we had someone experienced like Foles to be next to Wilson to help him adapt to defensive changes in the game, prepare for games, and how to let go of bad games mentally. But we're not, so we will see how well Wilson does adapting with JJ and the coaches. 

• Like 1

I don't get it. I just read a report that teams have called about trading for Mims and the Jets shot them down because they are supposedly still high on him. Saleh said he was "pumped about Mims in week 3" but he might not even been activated?. 

If the Jets are just talking him up to drive up his price in a trade, shouldn't they be activating him and, at a minimum, be feeding him in garbage time to show back up their claims and raise his value? Teams are going to see right through all the BS talk if the Jets are refusing to even suit him up.

Conversely, if they are actually high on him like they say they are, what good does putting him at the bottom of the depth chart do to help him develop? How does it help Wilson to leave Mims out the kid is 6-3, fast and has good hands. He can make plays.

I just don't understand any of the logic coming out of Jets management.

Edited by drew39k
Typo

17 hours ago, xrade said:

Agreed. Then you see the Mims situation and question their player development model. 

By the time a player gets to the NFL, he better ready to play, with the new CBA, agreement with limits 

on practice time, there is very little time to developed players. Only a QB get special attention. 

3 hours ago, drew39k said:

I don't get it. I just read a report that teams have called about trading for Mims and the Jets shot them down because they are supposedly still high on him. Saleh said he was "pumped about Mims in week 3" but he might not even been activated?. 

If the Jets are just talking him up to drive up his price in a trade, shouldn't they be activating him and, at a minimum, be feeding him in garbage time to show back up their claims and raise his value? Teams are going to see right through all the BS talk if the Jets are refusing to even suit him up.

Conversely, if they are actually high on him like they say they are, what good does putting him at the bottom of the depth chart do to help him develop? How does it help Wilson to leave Mims out the kid is 6-3, fast and has good hands. He can make plays.

I just don't understand any of the logic coming out of Jets management.

None of it makes sense.

6 hours ago, doumeyer said:

By the time a player gets to the NFL, he better ready to play, with the new CBA, agreement with limits 

on practice time, there is very little time to developed players. Only a QB get special attention. 

Mims was ready to play and did. He has produced when on the field. Apparently, the coaching staff wants Mims to fit a certain profile in which he needs to be coached up to fit their “model”. If they do not want to do that or he can’t do that, then trade him.

What is the point of having all those position coaches if they do not want to develop him?  That is their job.

No, the answer is probably more nebulous. It could be personal. It could be he does not fit the O LaFleur wants to run. Look at who the most targeted receiver is - a quick slot receiver running horizontal routes. That is a WCO.

Mims is a good WR. The Jets just refuse to play to Mims’ strength which is a failure to the team. 

6 hours ago, xrade said:

Mims was ready to play and did. He has produced when on the field. Apparently, the coaching staff wants Mims to fit a certain profile in which he needs to be coached up to fit their “model”. If they do not want to do that or he can’t do that, then trade him.

What is the point of having all those position coaches if they do not want to develop him?  That is their job.

No, the answer is probably more nebulous. It could be personal. It could be he does not fit the O LaFleur wants to run. Look at who the most targeted receiver is - a quick slot receiver running horizontal routes. That is a WCO.

Mims is a good WR. The Jets just refuse to play to Mims’ strength which is a failure to the team. 

At this point I am 100% convinced that the only reason Mims isn't playing is because Jets brass commited big money to Davis and invested a high pick in Moore. Saleh and Lafleur didn't choose Mims so they want to justify their guys and are going to give them all the chances.

If this is a developmental year, as the coaches have claimed, it makes no sense to have Berrios and Smith taking touches away from Mims. But if they send Mims out and he looks better than Davis or Moore ownership think those resources could have been better used elsewhere. Especially since, this gamplan, for whatever reason only has room for one X one Y and one Z. Can't have two receivers running similar routes on opposite sides of the field I guess? 

6 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

Starting to get real jealous of the other teams who can compete in prime time games. I need to just stop watching NFL games for the year. 😂

Jets aren’t an NFL level organization. We are somewhere between college and the pros. We are non competitive and cannot execute even the easiest of offensive concepts. Couldn’t be less impressed with this regime. 

• Like 1