Sources: Houston Texans now willing to trade QB Deshaun Watson

NYRaider

It would be just like Miami to give up on Tua, rush a new starting QB in there, let him get pounded for the rest of the year, and then possibly be looking for yet another guy in 2022. It never ends with this team.

Edited by y*so*blu

12 hours ago, Forge said:

I don't know why you're hung up on the mid season thing. Watson isn't a rental. It's a long term move, not a short term one

It's a long term move for a Dolphins coach and general manager who suddenly have an accelerated interest in long term employment. I have no idea how anybody could look at the 1-5 record as less logical toward acquiring Watson. Stephen Ross certainly won't view it that way.

Besides, you have to take everything Watson is accused of and divide by Jack Easterby. The league understands that. Fans do not. On that side of the aisle anyone is eligible as predator once enough phone calls are made. 

13 hours ago, y*so*blu said:

It would be just like Miami to give up on Tua, rush a new starting QB in there, let him get pounded for the rest of the year, and then possibly be looking for yet another guy in 2022. It never ends with this team.

Why would it be "just like the Miami"? When was the last time the Dolphins gave up on a high draft pick at QB too soon?

Not that I disagree with you, that if Miami does give up on Tua right now, it would be a massive mistake.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Why would it be "just like the Miami"? When was the last time the Dolphins gave up on a high draft pick at QB too soon?

Not that I don't disagree with you, that if Miami does give up on Tua right now, it would be a massive mistake.

You only gave Tannehill 6 years, obviously. Before that, you only gave Henne 4. 

• Like 4

I wonder if the Steelers would be the team trading for Tua at the deadline.  History between the two teams with Minka.  Tomlin is entrenched at HC, he would have little interest in grooming a rookie Qb.  Rudolph could not beat out the corpse of Big Ben.  Haskins is a scratch off lottery ticket with no risk, but has shown little progress.

1 hour ago, ravishingone said:

I wonder if the Steelers would be the team trading for Tua at the deadline.  History between the two teams with Minka.  Tomlin is entrenched at HC, he would have little interest in grooming a rookie Qb.  Rudolph could not beat out the corpse of Big Ben.  Haskins is a scratch off lottery ticket with no risk, but has shown little progress.

I'm no expert on the Steelers, but Tua just doesn't seem like a Steelers kind of QB.  He's a little too fragile and also seems like more of a finesse type of QB than you would expect with them.  When you think Steelers, you think tough, hard-nosed, football.  Maybe I'm just thinking that way because that's Big Ben and he has been there for so long, or because of their defenses of the 70's, but that's my impression of the Steelers anyway.  Tua doesn't seem to fit the mold of a Steelers QB. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

So it's a long term move that can be made in the offseason after evaluation can be made on ones own players, and see how Watson's legal troubles progress.

There's absolutely no reason for urgency.

That's what I'd be thinking too, Nacho.  Why rush into a trade of this size if you can wait a little while to get a better idea of where the legal issues are headed.  Then again, maybe they are thinking that if it becomes apparent that the legal troubles will soon be over, the price, and the number of other suitors for his services could go up.

Personally, if I were the Dolphins, I'd hold off and see how things work out with Tua.  He made some nice passes against us in the London game the other day.  It seems like a shame to give up on the fifth overall pick so quickly, but I know Watson is a great talent at the same time.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

I'm no expert on the Steelers, but Tua just doesn't seem like a Steelers kind of QB.  He's a little too fragile and also seems like more of a finesse type of QB than you would expect with them.  When you think Steelers, you think tough, hard-nosed, football.  Maybe I'm just thinking that way because that's Big Ben and he has been there for so long, or because of their defenses of the 70's, but that's my impression of the Steelers anyway.  Tua doesn't seem to fit the mold of a Steelers QB. 

Certainly possible, but pre Ben there were guys like O'Donnell, Maddox, and Stewart.  Bigger then Tua, but not the physicality of Ben.  Younger Ben would just shrug off pass rushers as opposed to those other guys.

I believe if Tua gets dealt to a third team, it will be a team who is fringe playoff team this season and looks at the roster and believes if they can just get above avg play back in the playoffs they go.

I cannot disagree that Tua is not fragile.  He will still have value because of the upcoming draft class and he was still a consensus top 10 pick.  

Off the top of my head, the Tua list would be Steelers, Eagles, Pamthers, Saints, amd Broncos.  Before I get roasted for all these teams listed, keep in mind teams will search high and low for the franchise QB.  Assets be damned in the pursuit.  

Edited by ravishingone
  • Like 1

Are people forgetting Watson was a near unanimous top 4 QB before massage gate? If he doesn’t get prosecuted and they don’t mind having an alleged serial sex abuser(idk I might have qualms about it) as the face of their franchise it’s a no brainer for them.

The dumb one is Watson for wanting to go to Miami so bad. They’ve been a dumpster fire organization for a long time and he wants to go there of all places? I mean it’s Miami but you have an entire 6 month offseason to spend in Miami if you want.

19 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

For Miami, the season's damage is already pretty much done. They'd be acquiring Watson for about 10 games and hoping for a future beyond 2021 that very much may not exist. Before their season went off the rails, I could've seen it. But now? What's the point? May as well wait til the offseason and hope for some clarity on his future. Carolina or Denver or someone on the cusp of the hunt would make sense, but Miami is SOOOO far behind and has such a small margin of error coupled with needing other teams to lose a few games that a Watson move now is just a moot point. 

I think there are a couple things at play. 

First, Miami would be trading for a QB long term so whether that's now or in 11 games wouldn't really matter and what would happen is it may create buzz in Miami on what is a downer of a season considering they probably thought they'd be a contender. Instead of an anti climax to the season it may generate interest, fill houses at home games and jersey sales which could be a boost. Plus they'd have a full off season to plan and scheme for their new QB and market him.

Secondly, the cost of the trade is a huge, huge problem. Right now the cost is the lowest as the risk is the highest. If Miami were to wait until information comes out to alleviate the 'issues' then the number of potential suitors grows and the price increases exponentially. At present there may be very few teams willing to take that risk, all teams will have slightly different thresholds for what they consider a worthwhile risk. Think about the Raiders at present, they have the Gruden stink hovering over them so their threshold at the moment would probably be very high, thus they wouldn't be in the race until it's certain his troubles will go away (not that they would be but just to illustrate a point). Other teams may be desperate and willing to take that risk but there's only going to be one or two of those that Miami would need to compete with. If they wait till the off-season they may have to come mpete with a dozen teams.

I honestly can see a desperate franchise making a big gamble here. If it pays off it could save someones job and make them look like geniuses. Which teams have enough PR credit in the bank that they could risk it?...............

Edited by Darbsk
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

Are people forgetting Watson was a near unanimous top 4 QB before massage gate? If he doesn’t get prosecuted and they don’t mind having an alleged serial sex abuser(idk I might have qualms about it) as the face of their franchise it’s a no brainer for them.

The dumb one is Watson for wanting to go to Miami so bad. They’ve been a dumpster fire organization for a long time and he wants to go there of all places? I mean it’s Miami but you have an entire 6 month offseason to spend in Miami if you want.

This would be a stumbling block if I were the owner of an NFL team.  I know "winning is a great deodorant," but three first rounders is a big price to pay for a guy who a large portion of the fan base could end up despising if things go the wrong way for him in court.  It could be a lose-lose proposition.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Not that I disagree with you, that if Miami does give up on Tua right now, it would be a massive mistake.

That's exactly why the last few years have stood out to me. Seems like ever since trading Tannehill, they haven't been able to settle on a guy. Rosen never had a real shot, Fitz was benched out of left field for Tua, and now these rumors about a Watson trade.

Edited by y*so*blu
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, y*so*blu said:

That's exactly why the last few years have stood out to me. Seems like ever since trading Tannehill, they haven't been able to settle on a guy. Rosen never had a real shot, Fitz was benched out of left field for Tua, and now these rumors about a Watson trade.

Rosen is garbage and Fitzpatrick was a journeyman stopgap.