2021 Defensive Thread

vegas492

lots of ways to selectively sort stats, here's a couple good ones for ILB Campbell

from Packers Wire

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2021/09/29/lb-devondre-campbell-shines-in-coverage-for-packers/

"Consider this: opposing quarterbacks have targeted him 21 times. That means quarterbacks are averaging 3.5 yards per attempt when targeting Campbell this season, the lowest among NFL linebackers with at least 70 coverage snaps.

Of course, Campbell also has an interception, and he dropped a second interception on Sunday night in San Francisco. He’s one of just eight linebackers with an interception this season."

8b3edd8ca9e940edadab75502bd5bce3.jpg?w=1

Edited by Shanedorf
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, mikebpackfan said:

Could we stop calling this a "Free 7 points"?  It was third down, they likely would have kicked a FG on 4th down, so free 4 points if you are convinced the grounding call was missed.

Never mind, I guess there would have been a 10 second run-off and they get nothing, I can't remember time on the clock

it was 7 seconds left. It was 100% a free 7 points.

Well I finally made it through all three games on the All-22 on the defensive side.  Half-assed, but that's half an *** more than I expected to actually get through.  Thoughts presented in handy dandy bullet point list:

• Let's call Preston Smith exhibit 1A in why you don't let good players go just because they have a down year.  I'm gonna call that contract renegotiation  the front office move of the year, because this defense would be in a dark place without him.  Can make an argument he's been the second best player on defense after Jaire, and with Z gone he's really carrying that OLB group on his back.  If you're not a fan of Kittle (although that would be sad because he's fantastic) this is great game film to throw on; Preston ate his lunch repeatedly, with my favorite being the rep he went through Kittle and Juice like they were practice squad players for a TFL.
  • Clark is such a technical beast and I love watching him.  Almost never loses a rep and you can play him across the line.  Loved that contract at the time and love it even more today.
  • Speaking of Clark, this starting DL group has been maligned all year and I won't stand for it.  The 49ers game was their best showing as a group thus far, but honestly they've been better than people realize since week 1.  Lowry deserves more love that he gets; he's not a stud but man can he get you out of a game from 5T to 5T.  Lots of good reps in all kinds of fronts.  Lancaster has been better than expected.  He still has all the same issues, and lateral movement is never going to be a strong suit, but he's real tough to move and he plays through blocks with regularity. 
  • I said starting DL group up above because the back-ups are a bit of a trash fire.  Well, mostly just Keke; Slaton has had plenty of rookie troubles but even in his bad reps you can see the potential.  He's active with his hands and he plays with his hair on fire, but as expected he needs a ton of refinement.  Keke is just...oof.  Someone clearly talked to him between weeks 2 and 3 because he played with more fire against the 49ers, but I would hesitate to say it resulted in a better game.  In the 74 snaps he played between weeks 2 and 3, I gave him a grand total of 1 plus play, and it was frankly a pity plus because it was at least a marginal win.  For the most part he just looks badly outmatched, and even in the rush game you get a bit of that "JV kid playing on varsity for the first time". 
  • If the Preston renegotiation isn't the GM move of the year for Gute, it is 100% signing De'Vondre Campbell.  Good lord has that dude been a revelation.  Getting him for $2 million is wild.  Excellent run fits for the most part, and it's so nice to finally have an ILB that scrapes to the hole instead of freezing up and getting carried into the endzone by a guard.  Twitchy in coverage too, and while he doesn't have elite MLB athleticism he's no slouch either; can absolutely trust him to cover sideline to sideline.
  • Side note: why doesn't Burks get more snaps?  I've no doubt he needs a lot of seasoning, but he really looks to be coming into his own physically and it's showing at times on the field.  Excellent blitz against the 49ers where he simply ran through the guard's attempt to pick him up, and he's shown a lot more pop taking on blockers in 2021.  I love Barnes too, who doesn't, but they really need to find some more snaps for Oren just to see if this is for real.
  • Man do I feel for Kevin King.  He's played well this year despite what you may see on ESPN.  He's becoming a real poster child for that guy who keeps finding new ways to just barely give up big plays that aren't 100% his fault but draw the ire of the entire fanbase.  Stokes has been better in coverage than expected this early, but he still has issues with knowing his assignments and he gets physical downfield too often.  I absolutely believe there's a future All-Pro there, but King is without a doubt the better corner in 2021.  For the record, in two games King has only given up 5 catches; the fact that he's allowing 30.6 yards/completion admittedly takes the shine off that a bit.
  • Jaire is Jaire.  I don't know what else to say here.  Probably my favorite player in the league at the moment and a guy who can really do it all.
  • Savage and Amos continue to be a stud safety pairing.  They played a lot of Cover-1/Cover-3 with Savage playing robber against the 49ers and frankly I love it.  The instinctive pairing would be Amos playing robber and Savage playing deep middle, but the more I watch the more sure I am Barry's got it right.  Savage is so sudden at the snap, and man can he click and close as soon as he sees it.  Meanwhile Amos is Mr.Consistency, doesn't get baited and will always find his spot, and it really gives Savage the leeway he needs to play downhill.  Savage is going to go on a run of INTs at some point, likely once/if Z comes back and the pass rush puts its dancing shoes on.
  • Like 6

25 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

Half-assed

Thanks for not telling us which half and thanks for the full write- up- greatly appreciated by many

27 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

Keke is just...oof.  Someone clearly talked to him between weeks 2 and 3 because he played with more fire against the 49ers, but I would hesitate to say it resulted in a better game.  In the 74 snaps he played between weeks 2 and 3, I gave him a grand total of 1 plus play, and it was frankly a pity plus because it was at least a marginal win.  For the most part he just looks badly outmatched, and even in the rush game you get a bit of that "JV kid playing on varsity for the first time". 

Thanks for the write up. They asked Keke to put on weight this offseason to better handle the banging inside.
Any chance he's a tick slower because of it - or just outmatched ?

51 minutes ago, Refugee said:

Dominant. 

Its such a blast watching Kenny work - and of course I miss a lot of it during the game. That's why I love these cutups from Ben Fennell, Larry McCarran and anybody else who pulls them together.

Here's more clips with a breakdown on his various techniques

21 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

Thanks for not telling us which half and thanks for the full write- up- greatly appreciated by many

Thanks for the write up. They asked Keke to put on weight this offseason to better handle the banging inside.
Any chance he's a tick slower because of it - or just outmatched ?

I mean it's not helping, I'll tell you that much.  He's definitely noticeable slower than he was, and it often manifests in hilarious ways.  You remember that sack he had against the Lions, where he and Gary almost had the safety?  He does a full on crossover, a jab step left and then goes hard right into the gap and turns it into a pressure.  Well, he tried the same thing this year, I believe against the 49ers, and it was comedy gold.  The guard literally catches him in mid hop step and just takes him right into Clark and just shreds the entire interior pass rush in one fell swoop.  I honestly love bad pass rush moves like some people love bad B movies, and I can't remember the last time I saw one this bad.  I guess Montravius had a lot of plays end like this, but it was rarely quite so embarrassing in the moment for him. 

That being said, his game is just all around bad right now.  Whatever weight he added is definitely not doing him any good in the strength or anchor department, because he possesses neither.  In the run game he's easily reached and if they happen to be coming right at him he's getting moved quick.  If the offense wastes a double team on him he's getting carried right out the back of his own end zone, down the tunnel and out of the stadium.  His bull rush literally moves no one, and then he stands around hoping to bat a ball or maybe get a clean-up sack.

Frankly I don't fully get it.  I mean I think if he can settle down and figure out how to play with a base, he could still surprise, but at the moment he's a huge liability, and the only one on the field for the defense.  Honestly this group is across the board legit, but they're badly missing a true 3T.  Lowry's a really solid DL, but they're missing a true starter at that 3/4i spot.  Right now they get it done with Lancaster, and I've been pleasantly surprised at his play, but man would a real iDL blow this thing wide open.

• Like 1

Z back surgery and out for an extended period of time. They still think he can come back this year, but after back surgery, I wouldn't hold out hope he's going to be close to the same guy anytime this year. 

He clearly becomes a candidate to be cut after the season. 

Edited by Old Guy

51 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Z back surgery and how for an extended period of time. They still think he can come back this year, but after back surgery, I wouldn't hold out hope he's going to be close to the same guy anytime this year. 

He clearly becomes a candidate to be cut after the season. 

He was already a cut candidate before the back surgery.  His $28.1M cap hit would rank 4th next year behind T.J. Watt, Khalil Mack, and Joey Bosa.  Unless he had a 15+ sack season, it's highly unlikely that he'd be back at that number next year.  Either they'd extend him to lower his cap hit or they'd release him.