2021 Defensive Thread

vegas492

16 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

From what I could see online, GB is #9 in the NFL for yards against at 321.3 per game.

But #23 in points allowed at 27.7/game.

Our defense has played 3 games, 6 halves. 

In 4 halves, they've been pretty bad (Both v. NO, 1st half v. Det., 2nd half v. SF). 

1 half they played very well (1st half v. SF)

1 half they played okay and got every break imaginable (2nd half v. Det). 

Getting Z back will help tremendously because he has the ability to wreck a drive with a sack/pressure, etc. However, even once he's back, this defense has a very long way to go and probably needs another talented player on the DL, plus continued improvement from Strokes because King is going backwards. 

7 hours ago, CWood21 said:

He was okay.  He wasn't lost by any means, but I think he's doing what most young corners do when they feel pressure and start grabbing.  Night and day difference from King.

It looks like he just likes to have his hand on the receiver to know he’s there and that he’s in position . Idt his grabbing is egregious.

2 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Our defense has played 3 games, 6 halves. 

In 4 halves, they've been pretty bad (Both v. NO, 1st half v. Det., 2nd half v. SF). 

1 half they played very well (1st half v. SF)

1 half they played okay and got every break imaginable (2nd half v. Det). 

Getting Z back will help tremendously because he has the ability to wreck a drive with a sack/pressure, etc. However, even once he's back, this defense has a very long way to go and probably needs another talented player on the DL, plus continued improvement from Strokes because King is going backwards. 

This is certainly a take. Defense has been great since the start of the second half against Detroit. Niners being gifted 14 points via flags and missed intentional grounding doesn’t change that. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, PackFiend said:

This is certainly a take. Defense has been great since the start of the second half against Detroit. Niners being gifted 14 points via flags and missed intentional grounding doesn’t change that. 

Yeah that special teams blunder put them in a bad hole to end the first half. The D was really playing well and that score pumped the 49ers and pushed momentum into the second half. 

1 hour ago, PackFiend said:

If you think giving up 21 second half points to Jimmy G and co. under any circumstance is "great" defense, then you have extremely low expectations. I could maybe buy "they played okay" in the 2nd half when you take into account penalties, etc....but that's part of the game. Either way, I hope they can get by one more week without Z because they miss him a lot.

16 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

but that's part of the game

not the laughable penalties our defense suffered.

SF's first TD should not have happened. Obvious missed IG called. Free 7 points.

SF's 2nd TD to start the 3rd quarter was earned.

SF's 3rd TD was stopped at 3rd and 15, then a bogus penalty against Stokes kept it alive. 

14 points off 2 terrible calls. Our defense performed way, way better in the 2nd half than box score scouting would indicate.

The final TD drive was ugly, but it was the 2nd "legit" TD of the game, with 2 min left. That's a really, really good defensive performance. Hand-waving "penalties are part of the game" ignores the actual play on the field - which was better than you are giving credit for. 

• Like 3

I think the fact that they didn't kill us in the run game  with their motion/misdirection game was pretty impressive by our D. I honestly thought it was going to be another Pettine nightmarish game where we just get fooled on so many plays, and credit to Barry for his gameplan vs it. As said before I think there was also a lot of flukey things that went on like the penalties that kept their drives going. The biggest thing for me was the Niners didn't start fast, and if that happened Im not sure we would of won. You also gotta credit the Niners their receivers made some really insane catches too, and Kittle is just a ******* monster man. 

I do think our defense is starting to get it somewhat, and will get better as the season goes on. I feel like Barry just needed to get his feet wet a little bit. The formations and looks he put out there in week 1 were a lot to be desired, but the last 2 weeks he started bringing some nice pressure packages. 

I'm not fully sure this defense is good or even decent yet, but there was things that gave me more hope its better than we thought coming into week 3. Show us more of the same but tighten it up and get off the field more.

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

SF's first TD should not have happened. Obvious missed IG called. Free 7 points.

Could we stop calling this a "Free 7 points"?  It was third down, they likely would have kicked a FG on 4th down, so free 4 points if you are convinced the grounding call was missed.

Never mind, I guess there would have been a 10 second run-off and they get nothing, I can't remember time on the clock

Edited by mikebpackfan

10 hours ago, mikebpackfan said:

Could we stop calling this a "Free 7 points"?  It was third down, they likely would have kicked a FG on 4th down, so free 4 points if you are convinced the grounding call was missed.

Never mind, I guess there would have been a 10 second run-off and they get nothing, I can't remember time on the clock

Missed obvious calls like this one is simply put ... unacceptable.  If the field goal hadn't been made at games end this would have been a huge 4 points.  Played their butts off and get shafted on crap non calls like that and then get penalties that shouldn't have been called is head scratching at best.  That crew is one of the NFL's worst and it showed.