Week 1 postgame: Burn it all down

mikebpackfan

The 2-shell or whatever was amplified by our defenses' inability to get off the field.

When you combine:

(1) Effective 3-and-outs from the offense early and

(2) The defense yielding the entire first half and

(3) Rodgers inability to effectively pass against that defensive style without a running game and

(4) Zero running game when you find yourself down a couple touchdowns with half the game gone in the blink of an eye and

(5) New Orleans' ability to dominate our young and repetitionless OL

this is what you get.

If our defense had forced a short drive OR if our offense was able to do ANYTHING in the first half, this doesn't turn into nearly as bad of a schitshow. However, all those flaws are real flaws. Our OL and DL are going to be bottom half of the league the first half of the season and we have a brutal schedule this year. Rodgers is likely in his final year here and is some level of checked-out. All his garbo talk about focus this offseason was 100% bologna IMO. He was trying to convince himself of it more than anything.

We're going to be 8-9 this year with 6 of those 8 wins needed against our division. The only non-division games I think we might win are against CIN and WFT (with no QBs, now). Otherwise, look at these games (lol): @ SF, @ ARI, @ KC, @ BLT, vs PIT, vs SEA, vs LAR, vs CLE

this is an 8-9 "all-in" team. Prepare yourselves now.

• Like 1

Easy schedule, playing teams at the right time, getting the only BYE of the playoffs and outside of the Bak injury at the end of the year, they were once again pretty healthy as a team....and they still fell short. Their Last Dance was last season and I felt that way once that NFCCG ended. Not gonna have a better opportunity than that

Still expecting playoffs and don't think they'll go 8-9 without a handful of key injuries(Bak out half the year and Savage got hurt yesterday so who knows there!), but this is shaping up to be one of those seasons where a team held on one year too long on an era that probably should have came to an end after last year. I bet it would have too if Rodgers didn't win MVP tbh

• Like 1

Trying to not overreact to week 1, but I am concerned with Barry, or maybe just the continuation of the same philosophy.  I understand the logic behind the bend not break with Rodgers at QB...but look at how disruptive the Saints man coverage was.  They need to take more chances on defense.

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Rodgers completed just 4-of-15 passes when he had more than 2.5 seconds to throw. Both of his interceptions came with at least that much time -- including the one in the red zone when a touchdown would have made it a 17-10 game -- and it was his worst completion percentage on those throws since at least 2016, when NFL Next Gen stats first began tracking.

Per ESPN

Spare me a lot of the tooth grinding about the line

I would hope a sure 1st ballot hall of fame QB would be the first to agree. Rodgers wasn't prepared and sucked because of it. He bought his own bull**** about how easy it would be to pick up where they left off last season. Aaron held the ball too long and did not throw in rhythm from start to finish.

The defense was lost, looking at each other totally confused play after play. They need to get to work and play together or this is going to be a very long painful season. The talent is there, they need to start playing with it, though it is hard to let your talent shine when you don't know what your doing or the rest of the players you're counting on.

4 minutes ago, LacyIsGood said:

Trying to not overreact to week 1, but I am concerned with Barry, or maybe just the continuation of the same philosophy.  I understand the logic behind the bend not break with Rodgers at QB...but look at how disruptive the Saints man coverage was.  They need to take more chances on defense.

Yeah, what’s the worst that could happen if we press at the line more? We give up huge touchdowns to Deonte Harris or something? 

5 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

I don't get it, since 2011, when the Chiefs played two high safeties and we lost our only regular season game, we have known this look is the cryptonite to Rodgers passing, so why in ten years have we not figuted out what to do when teams decide to play two high safeties? Rodgers said in the presser they weren't expecting the Saints to play that way, so isn't there an auto adjustment that should happen and we go, scrap our game plan and let's do the 'anti-two high safety plan?'

I really feel we need to use Dillon to establish the run and use Jones more if and when we are in rhythm to keep the opposition guessing.

MLF's offense works like a charm when we can run the ball.  As some said earlier in this thread - the game was lost in the trenches on both sides of the ball.

That film Larry made of Royce Newman pancaking DL looked to have been running in reverse yesterday.  His inexperience and Patrick’s lack of push killed our running game before it got started.  We’ll have a very weak interior run game until these guys get better, or get replaced by someone with more experience like Kelly.  Off tackle runs seem to work much better with a pro bowl guard.  We need Jenkins back at guard. Let Turner go to LT.  He did well there until the Tampa game.  It’s all makeshift and make do until Bahk is back anyway.  It looked pretty obvious to me they can’t have two rookies and Lucas Patrick playing together .  I see months of frustration for Jones if he can’t get the corner now and then. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

The 2-shell or whatever was amplified by our defenses' inability to get off the field.

When you combine:

(1) Effective 3-and-outs from the offense early and

(2) The defense yielding the entire first half and

(3) Rodgers inability to effectively pass against that defensive style without a running game and

(4) Zero running game when you find yourself down a couple touchdowns with half the game gone in the blink of an eye and

(5) New Orleans' ability to dominate our young and repetitionless OL

this is what you get.

If our defense had forced a short drive OR if our offense was able to do ANYTHING in the first half, this doesn't turn into nearly as bad of a schitshow. However, all those flaws are real flaws. Our OL and DL are going to be bottom half of the league the first half of the season and we have a brutal schedule this year. Rodgers is likely in his final year here and is some level of checked-out. All his garbo talk about focus this offseason was 100% bologna IMO. He was trying to convince himself of it more than anything.

We're going to be 8-9 this year with 6 of those 8 wins needed against our division. The only non-division games I think we might win are against CIN and WFT (with no QBs, now). Otherwise, look at these games (lol): @ SF, @ ARI, @ KC, @ BLT, vs PIT, vs SEA, vs LAR, vs CLE

this is an 8-9 "all-in" team. Prepare yourselves now.

good grief our schedule is brutal.  

7 minutes ago, Norse65 said:

That film Larry made of Royce Newman pancaking DL looked to have been running in reverse yesterday.  His inexperience and Patrick’s lack of push killed our running game before it got started.  We’ll have a very weak interior run game until these guys get better, or get replaced by someone with more experience like Kelly.  Off tackle runs seem to work much better with a pro bowl guard.  We need Jenkins back at guard. Let Turner go to LT.  He did well there until the Tampa game.  It’s all makeshift and make do until Bahk is back anyway.  It looked pretty obvious to me they can’t have two rookies and Lucas Patrick playing together .  I see months of frustration for Jones if he can’t get the corner now and then. 

Few here value interior play at any recognizable level it became an easy afterthought last season when we were getting top 3 in the league performances from them week in and week out. It’s getting downplayed this week, but this is going to be a problem against every good defensive front we face at least until Bakh is back.