Week 1 postgame: Burn it all down

mikebpackfan

5 minutes ago, Rodjahs12 said:

Turner Jenkins Myers Newman Kelly 

is what I’d try on the line next week. If Nijman has a good week of practice you could even move Turner back to RT but at least with this you know the left side of your line is pretty solid. 

Maybe I'm desperate, but I would start Nijman, Jenkins, Myers, Newman and Turner.  The offensive line was not terrible...not great either. 

I'm more concerned about the defensive line and just the defense in general.  That was a very flat performance.  If this type of performance continues for the 1st 4 weeks of the season, they need to consider firing Barry.  He's trying to install the Rams defense, but he does not have the players up front the Rams had.  He has to consider that when putting together a scheme.

4 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Newman is the one that needs to get benched after yesterday. Had high hopes for him but damn...

I'm not an OL guy, but based on my post draft / pre-season reads - I didnt see him as a first year plug and play guy. Thought he'd probably need some work - (edit: but that was for the RT position. I never considered him a candidate for LT). Now - it's only week one - so unless his play was really bad - perhaps we're dealing with a learn on the job situation.

Edited by Leader

33 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I demand a scape goat!  

No need for a scape goat but definitely time for a sacrificial  lamb. Like Montgomery when he came out of the end zone with a kick off and fumbled. 

Time to make an example for all to see that effort is not tolerable. 

I know a lot of people don't want to hear from Rodgers right now, but he did say after the game that he thought the line played well. He said he needed to watch the tape, but he specifically said he thought Myers and Newman were fine.

As @minnypackerfan just suggested, the bigger problem IMO was our defense getting steamrolled to start the game and our offensive game plan going to ****. We've seen a lot of teams that rely on the run fall apart when they get behind. In our case it's more shocking because those teams haven't historically had Aaron Rodgers at quarterback.

Edited by Lodestar

7 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Newman is the one that needs to get benched after yesterday. Had high hopes for him but damn...

Yeah I almost threw Patrick in there at RG because it seems every time Patrick looks like a serviceable NFL player it’s at RG but I reluctantly give him one more week before pulling the plug. 

Edited by Rodjahs12

1 minute ago, Rodjahs12 said:

Yeah I almost threw Patrick in there at RG because it seems every Patrick looks like a serviceable NFL player it’s at RG but I reluctantly give him one more week before pulling the plug. 

I could have sworn the penetration was coming from the left of the center, not right. I'm no film expert but remember Patrick being on skates on more than one occasion and getting run over a few times as well. 

I saw both guards get run by more than once, but it seemed the rookie was having a more difficult time.  Pretty late when I viewed it though after the fact, was fishing during.  (killed the walleyes in the morning, whiffed on muskies in the afternoon)

This game doesn't tell us what kind of team we have.  How they respond to this embarrassing debacle will tell us what kind of team we have.  It will take a few weeks.

Two people stand out as earning the most blame.  Frenchy was outcoached and didn't have his team ready for live bullets and ol Rodg who is paid elite money to be elite stunk.  He looked old, slow, and mostly like he didn't want to be there.

We shall see....

9 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I could have sworn the penetration was coming from the left of the center, not right. I'm no film expert but remember Patrick being on skates on more than one occasion and getting run over a few times as well. 

Patrick wasn't any good either and hasn't been since the last time he played RG. At this point the versatility we thought he offered is lost but if he can at least be decent on the right side like he has been in the past it'll help the line as a whole. Newman certainly didn't do enough to warrant a stranglehold on his spot for me.