The Joe Woods Thread

LETSGOBROWNIES

22 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

He might blitz less than Woods tbh.

Idk man, it’s been a long time since he’s run a defense, no? 

I think he’s been coaching in college at AZ. But he coached for a long time and hasn’t been out that long. I doubt he can’t figure out how to adapt to what the league has done in the 2 years hes been out. 

13 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I think he’s been coaching in college at AZ. But he coached for a long time and hasn’t been out that long. I doubt he can’t figure out how to adapt to what the league has done in the 2 years hes been out. 

Perhaps.  I still don’t know if he’d be willing to come here.

21 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Well, given that Myles has already called 2 players only meetings before Sunday, it's now making a LOT more sense as to why the players have mentioned coaching/hinting at Woods being the issue.

I mean, I’m sure these corners are itching to get up in someone’s jersey and play press. Could you imagine having Ward or Newsome’s talent and facing that middling group of receivers and being forced to play off/zone all game?  It’s gotta feel almost insulting.

And if you’re Myles or Clowney and you just have to line up and face double teams all day because you’re not blitzing and they know exactly what you’re trying to do.  BB/McDaniels looked at this defense and decided they just needed to neutralize our DE’s and it was a wrap, and they were absolutely right.  And we did nothing to counter that.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I mean, I’m sure these corners are itching to get up in someone’s jersey and play press. Could you imagine having Ward or Newsome’s talent and facing that middling group of receivers and being forced to play off/zone all game?  It’s gotta feel almost insulting.

And if you’re Myles or Clowney and you just have to line up and face double teams all day because you’re not blitzing and they know exactly what you’re trying to do.  BB/McDaniels looked at this defense and decided they just needed to neutralize our DE’s and it was a wrap, and they were absolutely right.  And we did nothing to counter that.

And the worst part is, it didn't even seem like we tried to counter it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DawgX said:

And the worst part is, it didn't even seem like we tried to counter it.

I feel like this is what happens when coaches get too set in their ways with “their scheme”.

It’s 2021.  You shouldn’t have “a scheme”.  You should be running odd and even fronts. You should be rushing anywhere from 3-8 players. You should be playing man, zone, mixing coverages, disguising coverages, running zone blitzes.  Blitzing should be done by linebackers, corners and safeties. Linemen should be in coverage. Offenses should have to prepare for anything and everything.

You can’t just go out and run “your system”.  You need to be tailoring your defense to what an opposing offense does well and what they don’t do well.  Your defense shouldn’t look the exact same every week and when it does you shouldn’t be surprised when NFL coordinators exploit the hell out of it.

What in the hell are these coaches game planning all week?  What are they doing?  Whatever it is, it just seems like a waste of time if all you’re gonna do is play off zone coverage and hope you’ve got better talent.

• Like 1

I was looking at his Wikipedia page. He has an impressive resume.

That being said, he decided to step away from coaching in January of 2021. At that point, he resigned his position with the Eagles. He then returned to coaching with the Titans just three months later.

My question would have to be "Why did he want to get away from the game in January, and what made him change his mind just three months later?"

If you are not in a DC's job with full heart, mind and body, I hardly think you will be successful.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Schwartz

Edited by brooks1957