The search for a new Head Coach

RaidersAreOne

5 hours ago, Rolni said:

I mean every other normal team could get a respected GM first, then let's that GM search for a HC. But not is! Not then mighty Mark Davis and Marcell Reeve! They know everything!

As it stands now, we will give ultimate power to a guy who failed miserably before in a similar situation. Yeah I know 10 years ago...

They will show Ziegler and try to sell the idea that he is a true GM, but deep down we already know that he will be JMD's Mayock...

JMD will have final say. Mark should have learned under Gruden that it is not working!

Again, I think we look back on this in year 3 and 4 when coaches hired this cycle are getting their walking papers and feel really good about. 

"I don't think for Josh, leaving Indianapolis had anything to do with picking players. I think he wants someone he can trust picking players,

Common misconception with him is people think he wants all the power, it doesn't sounds that way. More he wants guys he trust and share the same vision. 

Edited by big_palooka

10 hours ago, NickButera said:

Is anyone else raising an eyebrow to the report that he wouldn't take an interview unless he was being offered a job? I mean, that screams conceded. Granted it's a rumor. But c'mon man. You haven't won Jack squat as a HC and he's acting like he's a Harbaugh/BB/Mike Tomlin, etc. 

It's these things that rub me the wrong way about him. 

This is a great point. We're supposed to believe he's matured, but here he is apparently claiming he won't interview for a job unless he's definitely going to get it. A level of entitlement that he quite simply hasn't earned yet.

• Like 2

There are so many variables and question marks - I don’t have a clue how I feel about this.

On one hand, it gives us a proper offensive coach and plan. Someone who will likely be able to get the best of the players we already have. He will have to bring in a good oline coach to sort out that sorry mess. If he can do that, I’d be very optimistic we will see a competent, competitive offense.

Im curious as to who we bring in as Def coordinator. I watched a vid on Mayo and really liked how he came across. Serious and focused and we know he is a leader from his playing days. He might counter the personality concerns people have about McD. If not him, it does look like McD will be able to bring in a quality candidate.

I am worried about whether or not McD has changed enough. He struck me as overly emotional and petulant. Now, he may have matured - but it will be a lingering concern until he proves otherwise. Plus, I just find it difficult to trust a grown man who wears a visor!

The biggest question mark is with Ziegler. There have been some rumours that it was only last year he was given the lead in the draft. If so, that’s promising and looking at the Pats roster, while there has been a lot of criticism of their previous drafts, they have managed to fill spots with some decent players and they have taken some good players along the way. We just have no idea how much was him and how much Belicheck.

All in all - if this happens as predicted - I’ll be nervously excited. I’ll be especially nervous before the new FOs first first round pick. Would tell us a lot about what we can expect over the next few years….

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rolni said:

And we already started to talk ourselves into this ****pile :)

I mean every other normal team could get a respected GM first, then let's that GM search for a HC. But not is! Not then mighty Mark Davis and Marcell Reeve! They know everything!

As it stands now, we will give ultimate power to a guy who failed miserably before in a similar situation. Yeah I know 10 years ago...

They will show Ziegler and try to sell the idea that he is a true GM, but deep down we already know that he will be JMD's Mayock...

JMD will have final say. Mark should have learned under Gruden that it is not working!

Yeah McDaniels is a good, creative O mind. With that said I have my big time questionmarks about his persona, about his leadership ability. It would be an issue even if we would have hired him under a true GM like Dodds...

I guess his staff will look good on paper and by draft day we all (most of us) will be hyped and will be excited, since Ziegler only took over the 2021 draft and look how strong that was...of course we should know better...the Dark Lord never let things out of his grip, so Ziegler is still a rookie without his master. But at least he has his bossy, egomaniac college pal without scouting background with him! With final say of course...

Pathetic.

The fact he wouldn’t come interview unless he pretty much had the job is BS as well. And like you said, people are overlooking the fact Zeigler will just be McDs puppet. The same guys that clowned Mayock/Gruden are cool with this pairing. Weird. I’m not excited about this, I’ll wait and see how it plays out but, I’m not thrilled. We pretty much let our HC pick the GM, *** backwards. 

1 hour ago, Geezy said:

The fact he wouldn’t come interview unless he pretty much had the job is BS as well. And like you said, people are overlooking the fact Zeigler will just be McDs puppet. The same guys that clowned Mayock/Gruden are cool with this pairing. Weird. I’m not excited about this, I’ll wait and see how it plays out but, I’m not thrilled. We pretty much let our HC pick the GM, *** backwards. 

It's not always backwards. But it is when you let your new HC who's only head coaching experience has been failure and he hasn't proven he can coach a team, let alone run an entire organization. 

Now, we've already completed our GM interviews. So I don't really see this as backwards. We may have had a hand shake agreement from Zeigler if McDaniels said yes. However, Zeigler was a high school football coach when McDaniels hired him to his staff in Denver. So you can't tell me Zeigler is going to be the one in charge here. And it feels weird to have the entire orgy run by, basically, a rookie head coach.  It's all a massive risk if you ask me. Something I've really only seen once before. When a rookie head coach got.hired in Denver and had total roster control.

14 minutes ago, NickButera said:

It's not always backwards. But it is when you let your new HC who's only head coaching experience has been failure and he hasn't proven he can coach a team, let alone run an entire organization. 

Now, we've already completed our GM interviews. So I don't really see this as backwards. We may have had a hand shake agreement from Zeigler if McDaniels said yes. However, Zeigler was a high school football coach when McDaniels hired him to his staff in Denver. So you can't tell me Zeigler is going to be the one in charge here. And it feels weird to have the entire orgy run by, basically, a rookie head coach.  It's all a massive risk if you ask me. Something I've really only seen once before. When a rookie head coach got.hired in Denver and had total roster control.

I just hate the fact that he’s basically getting total control. Handpicks an under qualified GM to be his puppet, then pretty much demands the job before he takes the interview, according to reports. Comes off as extremely arrogant for a guy that’s ego led to him bombing his first opportunity in this same situation. People hated handing the keys to Gruden, but at least he had a track record of success as the man. We’re pretty much getting Gruden-Light. 

2 hours ago, Geezy said:

This statement is pure speculation and not rooted in fact.  How do you know that Zeigler will just be JM's puppet?  They have worked together for years and it's pretty clear that JM was holding out for an opportunity to work with guys who share the same philosophy and vision as him.   

There is no guarantee this will be a success but I certainly like the idea much better than Davis picking a GM and then a HC or even worse yet sticking with Mayock and then hiring JM.  Paring a HC/GM that has clearly discussed this exact situation in detail for years is a good thing, coming from one of the greatest ran organizations in pro sports is a good thing, sharing that same winning philosophy and passion is a good thing.  

I also wouldn't make the assumption that we let the HC pick his GM, I believe they have had this planned for years and were waiting for a situation where they could team up together and build their vision.  JM could have become a HC years ago and has turned down multiple offers, my belief is that this HC/GM paring is why. 

It is pretty clear that when JM decided to make the jump to become a HC again he didn't want to be stuck with a GM who doesn't share his same vision and passion.  That will not happen here, now the big question is can they get their vision to work on Sunday.  

Edited by Frankie2Gunz

4 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

This statement is pure speculation and not rooted in fact.  How do you know that Zeigler will just be JM's puppet?  They have worked together for years and it's pretty clear that JM was holding out for an opportunity to work with guys who share the same philosophy and vision as him.   

There is no guarantee this will be a success but I certainly like the idea much better than Davis picking a GM and then a HC or even worse yet sticking with Mayock and then hiring JM.  Paring a HC/GM that has clearly discussed this exact situation in detail for years is a good thing, coming from one of the greatest ran organizations in pro sports is a good thing, sharing that same winning philosophy and passion is a good thing.  

I also wouldn't make the assumption that we let the HC pick his GM, I believe they have had this planned for years and were waiting for a situation where they could team up together and build their vision.  JM could have become a HC years ago and has turned down multiple offers, my belief is that this HC/GM paring is why. 

It is pretty clear that when JM decided to make the jump to become a HC again he didn't want to be stuck with a GM who doesn't share his same vision and passion.  That will not happen here, now the big question is can they get their vision to work on Sunday.  

There is definitely a benefit to having a GM/HC on the same page as these two will be with their history together. I just see it as a Gruden/Mayock situation where McD will probably have final say. And I thought we didn’t like that? Lol 

2 minutes ago, Geezy said:

There is definitely a benefit to having a GM/HC on the same page as these two will be with their history together. I just see it as a Gruden/Mayock situation where McD will probably have final say. And I thought we didn’t like that? Lol 

I don't like anyone ruling with an iron fist but I don't think that occurs here.  The comparison to Gruden and Mayock is off base and I knew was doomed to fail from the beginning and that is because I never believed in Gruden or his vision.  

JM and Zigler share the same philosophy and as any successful CEO will tell you, collaboration is they key to success.  I believe these two have a lot of respect for each other and realize if this works out they will be together for a very long time.  

JM is one of the brightest young minds in football, has a massive ego and wants to win in the worst way, there is no doubting that.  I also believe he is a smart guy who breathes football and was waiting for the right situation to make his vision a reality.  He gets that here!

7 minutes ago, Geezy said:

This is the big question for me. If it is indeed as you describe, and McD has the ‘final say’ as Gruden did, then I would be more worried. 

We don’t know this to be true though and there is every chance he wants to have someone else lead on personnel decisions.

I also don’t think that McD has picked some kind of lackie in Ziegler. I think MD has been looking at package deals of already established GM/HC partnerships. It just seems that they are his preferred package.