Will the Chiefs miss the playoffs?

notthatbluestuff

1 hour ago, lancerman said:

really hot for awhile and just think it’s going to be a consistent thing. 

When was the last time a team had a MVP QB and wasnt consistently good? As a rule of thumb, thats what happens.... unless you go through a thing like the Saints with a few years of historically horrific defense. 

Edited by Matts4313

49 minutes ago, ET80 said:

They'll still compete and they always have a punchers' chance - but the defense is going to cost them in the long run, and there is no quick fix for it because the offense is taking up a lot of resources on the cap.

They'll still make the playoffs and win a playoff game here and there, but they're no longer the apex predator in the AFC.

I think it depends on how well they use their draft resources on that side of the ball. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

When was the last time a team had a MVP QB and wasnt consistently good? As a rule of thumb, thats what happens.... unless you go through a thing like the Saints with a few years of historically horrific defense. 

Consistently good and consistently a high end outlier are different things. Matt Ryan has one season like his MVP season. He’s never been close before or since. Same with Cam. If Wentz didn’t go down and won it he would be in that category. That’s 3 years in a row. 

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

They'll still compete and they always have a punchers' chance - but the defense is going to cost them in the long run, and there is no quick fix for it because the offense is taking up a lot of resources on the cap.

They'll still make the playoffs and win a playoff game here and there, but they're no longer the apex predator in the AFC.

Defense is actually costing KC more against the cap than the offense. Hitch and Clark not panning out have been big drains financially. Reed has been a bust this year as well. We haven't had many big whiffs in the personnel department in recent years, but those couple have hurt. But, the offense right now is actually quite cheap save for Hill.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Consistently good and consistently a high end outlier are different things. Matt Ryan has one season like his MVP season. He’s never been close before or since. Same with Cam. If Wentz didn’t go down and won it he would be in that category. That’s 3 years in a row. 

Solid retort and you are right. My initial thought is "ya, but" (any time you start with that, the argument is weak....) all 3 of those guys had fluke years and they never looked that good before or after. Mahomes has been good multiple years. 

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

Like others have said, they are perhaps more dependent on draft picks on the D side of the ball, but I wouldn't stick a fork in them, not even close to doing that.

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

I think KC has more invested in their d vs o

3 hours ago, biggie. said:

Amazing.

Prior to this season I was one of the extreme few who thought Mahomes, while a great QB, was not invincible and had flaws in his game and people said I'm crazy.

Now that luck isn't on his side, he's going through a slump and everyone now questions if he's any good and if KC will make the playoffs.

Your a true-life great talent this buds for you.

Just by taking a look at the rest of their schedule will 9-8 to 10-7  be enough for a wild card spot 

W Vs Giants: (Should be Win, but who knows)

L vs Packers: (Packers will chew the clock and really start strong and should win, chiefs would need mahomes magic)

W/L vs Raiders: (3 Weeks ago i would say easy loss for them but the raiders look strong without gruden this could go either way)

L vs Cowboys (Again this needs mahomes magic for this one against a strong Boys' team)

W vs Broncos (Broncos look bad recently and the injury to von doesnt help things)

W/L vs Raiders (I think they will split the season series tbh)

L vs Chargers (Chargers will get back on track and while itll be close again i think the chargers take this one as well.)

W/L vs Steelers (If the steelers can establish the run they should control the clock and win but it could go either way)

L vs Bengals (Bengals look legit they could be contending with the bills at the end)

W vs Broncos (Broncos look rough)

Tough schedule but i think if they can get to the bye with 500. or above i think they make it.

Edited by djw4bucs

2 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

Defense is actually costing KC more against the cap than the offense. Hitch and Clark not panning out have been big drains financially. Reed has been a bust this year as well. We haven't had many big whiffs in the personnel department in recent years, but those couple have hurt. But, the offense right now is actually quite cheap save for Hill.

What happened to Juan Thornhill?