I present to you, the worst draft of all-time

RaidersAreOne

In 2007 we landed:

1.001 Jamarcus Russell, QB LSU
Next guy taken was Calvin Johnson, and after him Joe Thomas.

1.038 Zach Miller, TE Arizona State
We originally were to pick 33rd. Greg Olsen went 31st, and we traded down with Arizona. Would have likely cost very little to move up for Greg Olsen, but Zach Miller at least had a little peak.

3.065 Quintin Moses, DE Georgia
Moses was the highest drafted player from that year's draft not to make a roster on opening day. The next DE taken was Charles Johnson of the Panthers. Charles Johnson also played at Georgia and was 3 years younger bulkier with similar combine metrics outside of Johnson benching considerable more. In their year prior to being drafted, Charles Johnson had 19 TFL and 9.5 sacks, Moses had 12 TFL and 4.5 sacks. Sadly Moses passed away in a house fire at 33.

3.091 Mario Henderson, OT FSU
Played for a few years with the Raiders as a starter before being phased out. Also sadly passed away at 35.

3.099 Johnnie Lee Higgins, WR UTEP
He was the fast punt returner type that kinda defined Raiders for a long time, he was on the roster a couple years.

4.100 Michael Bush, RB Louisville
He was a good Raider as a part time player, but his leg was broken and wouldn't be able to play. By the time he played he was a reserve to DMC and Fargas.

4.110 John Bowie, CB Cincinnati
He hurt his knee and never really played. He was what the Raiders got for Randy Moss.

5.138 Jay Richardson, DE The Ohio State
Played a few years for the Raider

5.165 Eric Frampton, S Washington State
Was cut before he took the field.

6.175 Oren Oneal, FB Arkansas State
From his Wiki: "O'Neal was drafted by the Raiders in the sixth round of the 2007 NFL Draft. He was named the rookie of the year by then-Raiders coach Lane Kiffin. He worked his way up the roster both on offense and special teams and played 14 games in 2007, recording one rushing attempt for one yard. O'Neal suffered a knee injury, which was initially thought to be possibly career-threatening, and was placed on injured reserve for the 2008 season on August 25. He was cut by the Raiders in April 2010."

7.Almost Mr. Irrelevant Jonathan Holland, WR
immediately on IR and waived.

1 hour ago, Trojan said:

We traded our firsts for old Richard Seymour and retired and old Carson Palmer, who we then flipped for a fifth rounder and he took the Cardinals to relevance.

In 2014 we nailed Khalil Mack and you guys nailed Aaron Donald. We flipped for picks which was stupid, you guys paid a deserving contract. You draft guys and they earn a contract you extend them is the lesson.

When Palmer was with the Raiders wasnt they playing well before he got hurt? I dont quite remember how the Seymour trade worked out. The crazy thing about the draft with Mack was the Rams had the opportunity to draft him 2nd overall but instead took Greg Robinson. It was said that Les Snead wanted him. I think Fisher wanted Mack. Then if the Rams took Mack, would they have taken Donald with their original 1st round pick? Also there were rumors the Rams tried to trade back into the 1st round that same draft to get Zack Martin. They were rumored to have called the Ravens but we know the Cowboys took Martin ahead of the Ravens. I dont think the Ravens wouldve done that deal anyways but I do love the aggressiveness the Rams were showing. 

I agree the Rams paid their players who deserved it at the time. People knock on the Rams paying Cooks, Gurley, and Goff but at the time they all deserved it. Kupp and Woods both deserved their contracts. In hindsight Im glad the Rams didnt get the chance to pay Sammy Watkins. So that was an avoided disaster. Cooks when he was healthy was a much better fit for the Rams than Watkins. Its just too bad Cooks couldnt stay healthy over time. 

• Like 1

The 1985 Seahawks say hi:

Round 1 (25th overall): Traded to Cincy for C Blair Bush.

Round 2 (53rd overall): Owen Gill, RB, Iowa. Played only three years, and had 490 career yards.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GillOw20.htm

Round 3 (81st overall): Danny Greene, WR, Washington. Played only one year, and had two catches.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GreeDa23.htm

Round 4 (109th overall): Tony Davis. No data for him on PFR.

Round 5 (123rd overall): Mark Napolitan, C, Michigan St. No data on him, either

128th overall: Arnold Brown, DB, NC Central. Only played in 1985 and 87. Went to Laney High, the same HS as MJ.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BrowAr20.htm

137th overall: Johnnie Jones, RB, Tennessee. Was cut in training camp. Played a year or two in the CFL.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnnie_Jones

Round 7 (193rd overall): Ron Mattes, T, Virginia. Played seven years in the NFL, starting 60 games.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MattRo20.htm

Round 8-12: Just the usual (guys that don't make it) except for Louis Cooper, their 11th round pick.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CoopLo20.htm

On 11/8/2021 at 4:16 PM, FinSting said:

That was the weirdest GM/Coach deal ever. Like, has there ever been a GM with less leverage?

You mean having a HC as the czar and hiring a media personality to be your "GM" when really the unqualified HC makes all the personnel decisions is a bad idea?? 

I'm talking about a certain football team from the bay area which surprisingly isn't the raiders 

Gross

17 hours ago, N4L said:

You mean having a HC as the czar and hiring a media personality to be your "GM" when really the unqualified HC makes all the personnel decisions is a bad idea?? 

I'm talking about a certain football team from the bay area which surprisingly isn't the raiders 

Gross

I never thought of Baalke as a media personality but ok.