Week 11: Packers (8-2) at VIKINGS (4-5)

swede700

Last week was the start of total team play.  This week it continues with a strong performance in running the ball and stopping the run.  I think Rodgers will get some odd looks, like remember when Zimmer played Kearse at S/LB which gave offenses something to think about?  Well, Bynum's good . . . imagine Woods and Bynum holding down the deep quarters with Smith just head-hunting and ball hawking?  If the front 4 gets home, this type of wrinkle could push Rodgers into bad decisions.  

Momentum's going to be #1 this game . . . get it and keep it.  

Now, I'm respectful enough to give the Packers due.  Their offense and defense have been playing well, very well.  The Vikes need to dominate the trenches . . . so what if Udoh gets 1 holding call?  I'll be way more peeved if Griffen jumps off-sides three times!  The Vikes deep D-line rotation can get it done.  A blitz here and there will rattle Rodgers cage, and frankly his receivers are going to make 1 mistake . . . The DBs need to capitalize on that.

I liked Dillon coming out of college and he's a beast, so let's hope the front 7 hold him to under 75 yards and no TDs.  

Meanwhile, the Vikings O has a golden opportunity to show the world . . . 500 total yards, 5 or 6 TDs and 2:1 TOP -- not much to ask for 😅  Can it be done?  Heck, Cook could break Adrian's single game record . . . GB is only allowing 107 yrd/game, so let's bump that average to 127 after Sunday.  Cousins meanwhile is efficient with 3 TDs, but more importantly, he keeps the Vikes at 75% for 3rd down conversions.  

Oh, and finally, STs keep rolling with all positives.

Remember when the Vikes swept the Pack in 17 and went 1-0-1 in 18?  Split last year, so let's start this year off right . . . SKOL!!!!

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Nzd07 said:

Anyone else low-key hope Barr doesn't get cleared. Vigil looked good last week.

No...I still think, more often than not, the defense plays better when Barr is in there.  Vigil is certainly adequate, but he can't stop the run nearly as well as Barr can...and the Chargers aren't a running team, so that's why he was fine.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Nzd07 said:

Anyone else low-key hope Barr doesn't get cleared. Vigil looked good last week.

No, I want all the players to be available. I expect the coaches to make the right decisions on which players to put into the game in different situations. If the coaches can't do that, then I want new coaches.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, dc_vikingfan said:

Feels like a Dalvin Cook breakout game. He plays well against them usually.

Maybe it is just me but he just looks off this year.

Hopefully he can finally break one of those shoe-lace tackles that seem to be bringing him down quite often and take one the distance.

Jefferson needs to be the focal point of the offense, good things happen when targeting him. Hopefully GB is foolish enough to give him a lot of 1v1 looks.

1 hour ago, VikeManDan said:

Maybe it is just me but he just looks off this year.

Hopefully he can finally break one of those shoe-lace tackles that seem to be bringing him down quite often and take one the distance.

Jefferson needs to be the focal point of the offense, good things happen when targeting him. Hopefully GB is foolish enough to give him a lot of 1v1 looks.

It's just you. Cook's 5th in the league in rushing right now. His 4.7 ypc matches his career avg. His touchdowns are way down this season though.

He seems to be getting bottled up behind the line of scrimmage more than I'd like, but that's on the O-line.

Jefferson doesn't have to be "the focal point of the offense". He just needs to be targeted a lot more like he was last week. Running the ball with Cook 20 times per game isn't the problem. It's a philosophy that works if you're smart about how to do it. Being more creative and aggressive is what the offense needs.

Kubiak Jr has been less aggressive than his father which is just baffling to me.

The second half check down offense that we saw in the Dallas game and again against Baltimore will be our undoing if it rears it's ugly head against the Packers. Part of that was on the O-line as Kirk was getting too much pressure -- particularly up the gut. 

• Like 1

Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers remained out of practice on Thursday.

Rodgers has been listed on the Packers’ injury report with a toe injury since being activated from the COVID-19 reserve list last Saturday and he said earlier this week that it is “a little painful.” After sitting out on Wednesday, Rodgers said it was a day “to do some rehab” and reporters at the open portion of Thursday’s practice said he spent a lot of time talking to head coach Matt LaFleur as the rest of the team worked out.

Rodgers also said that he’s “definitely playing” regardless of whether he practices or not this week.

Left tackle David Bakhtiari (knee), running back Aaron Jones (knee), wide receiver Allen Lazard (shoulder), and wide receiver Malik Taylor (abdomen) were also out of practice for the second straight day.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/11/18/aaron-rodgers-out-of-practice-again-on-thursday/

• Like 1