Week 12: VIKINGS (5-5) at 49ers (5-5)

swede700

51 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I think Mike Zimmer just said that they need to keep passing in order to open up the run.

Um…I’m not sure how to process this

Zimmer has been repeating this now in press conferences for past 3-4 weeks and I think he was also frustrated a ton with Cousins after the Cowboys loss...people blame Zimmer usually for Vikings conservative approach on offense in recent years but I think it's more on Cousins than Zimmer. I have seen a WFT reporter last week mentioning about something similar during Cousins time in Washington 

I think that Dallas loss (& Ravens loss) may have finally forced Cousins to be much more aggressive.

2 hours ago, PrplChilPill said:

That is interesting. And, I'm not sure how to process it. If true, then I need to re-assess my thoughts on everyone (shocker).

Cousins has never been a gunslinger. And he’s always been at his best when he’s had a coach calling an aggressive approach during a game (McVay, Stefanski, Gary Kubiak). 

But I’m not for one second about to believe that Zimmer has been pounding the table for Cousins to go out and sling it. There’s just too much history under Zimmer of the QBs being risk averse. Bridgewater didn’t sling it, Bradford was fairly reigned in, and how many press conferences in 2017 did Zimmer downplay Keenum’s gunslinging tendencies? 

I think what we’re seeing is more of Zimmer finally realizing that he needs his QB, and his offense to win him games. He can’t lean on his defense. 

I also think that this is really the first year where Zimmer has been truly involved with the offense. Right or wrong, he’s always let his veteran OCs run the offensive side of the ball. But this year, not only is Klint Kubiak a first year OC, but there’s no seasoned offensive coach on the staff for Kubiak to draw advice from. I’m guessing that Zimmer has been that sounding board this year. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 1

I think Deebo Samuel and George Kittle will be a huge test for our defense.

San Francisco does very well when they are leading and have a very balanced offense. Getting an early lead for the Vikings will get them off their rhythm.

But all of our games are usually within 7 points so I don't expect us to do that haha

51 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

But all of our games are usually within 7 points so I don't expect us to do that haha

It's insane that we are 10 games into the season and have only had one game decided by more than a Touchdown. I think it shows we can play with anyone...and that anyone can play with us 😐

• Like 1

Man, this has all the makings of a trap game. West coast road game sandwiched between two divisional games. Especially with the emotional weight placed upon the Green Bay game (and the emphatic ending) there exists a real chance the team comes out FLAT this week. Which stinks, because this is one of the biggest games remaining as far as playoff importance goes. I hope the Vikings buck the trend and manage to string together some consistency. They will need to to maintain/improve their playoff chances.

15 hours ago, PrplChilPill said:

That is interesting. And, I'm not sure how to process it. If true, then I need to re-assess my thoughts on everyone (shocker).

I think it's always been a combination of Zimmer and Cousins.  They both have a tendency to want to be conservative and not turn the ball over.  But, I think it's finally got to the point (as someone else indicated) that Zimmer has begrudgingly probably conceded that he needs Cousins to be more aggressive.  I imagine a lot of that has probably come from the players themselves, possibly through their veterans that go talk to Zimmer on a weekly basis.  I imagine also that it's gone positively the last couple of weeks has helped that cause...because we've actually seen this movie before where the offense played aggressively, but it went poorly and Zimmer recoiled back into his comfort zone of conservative play-calling.  This may have a better chance of lasting for a little while.  

The Niners remain deadly in the red zone: Their 77.8 percent TD conversion mark leads the NFL by a significant margin. Ironically, San Fran's most memorable drive on Sunday -- a 20-play, 13-minute marathon -- ended with a piddly field goal. "I wanted to go for it bad," Shanahan said. According to ESPN, it was the longest drive in 20 years.

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-power-rankings-week-12-2021-nfl-season

Much like the Vikings, the 49ers have managed to rebound and stay afloat in the playoff picture despite a rocky start. San Francisco opened its season 2-4, but has won three of its past four games to get back in the race. Not only does the winner of Sunday's game get an edge in the win column, but they would also have the head-to-head tiebreaker if the teams were to finish with the same record at the end of the season. Sunday is a big one by the Bay.

https://www.vikings.com/news/nfc-playoff-picture-2021-week-12-season

• Like 1